Author Topic: September 22nd, 2003 (Season 32 Premiere)  (Read 2345 times)

Offline PayingTheRent

September 22nd, 2003 (Season 32 Premiere)
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
I couldn't find this episode on the board after searching, but if it's already been posted, I apologize. I know it's been on YouTube for a while, but I decided to upload my own recording.

With the 42nd premiere being such a disappointment, I wanted to post an example of what a premiere should look like. Note the many differences between Mike's version of a premiere today and Roger's version from 10 years ago...

1) The 42nd premiere featured only 3 cars (one in each half and one in the showcases). None of the 3 were worth more than $23,000, nor were any of them won.
---The 32nd premiere featured 5 cars (2 in the first half, 1 in the second half, and 2 in the showcases). The first car alone (a Cadillac) was worth over $46,000, and was won on a Lucky $even setup where using all 5's would produce a win. 2 more automobiles were won, including a Dodge Dakota in an easy Push Over setup, and a Chrysler PT Cruiser.

2) The 42nd premiere's showcases were valued at $22,307 and $28,877. Only 1 car (or other vehicle, like a boat or RV) was offered, and that was a cheap Nissan Sentra.
--- In the 32nd premiere, both showcases featured cars. The values of the showcases were $25,452 and $39,873.

3) 2 out of 6 games were won in the 42nd premiere.
--- 2 out of 6 games were won in the 32nd premiere, but $12,200 was won in Plinko, as well as $500 in Time is Money.

4) Total winnings for the 42nd premiere: nearly $54,000
--- Total winnings for season 32: over $110,000

There are many other things I can point out, but I feel like these are the most significant. I sincerely wish Mike would put more effort into making the season premieres as exciting and special as they once were.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3NjwsNyHxk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3NjwsNyHxk</a>

Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: September 22nd, 2003 (Season 32 Premiere)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
Again, let's not pretend that Mike doesn't know how to set up a great season premiere.

Season 40's premiere was excellent. It went 2 for 6 as well.

He offered SEVEN cars; four in the first half, one in the second half, and two in the showcase.

Out of those seven, FIVE were won.

The showcases together totaled over $91,000, and the total winnings were over $157,000.

3 Strikes was played LAST.

It was a grand affair worthy of being put up next to Season 35, 32, 25, and others.

He knows what he's doing, he just didn't do it this time.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
Again, let's not pretend that Mike doesn't know how to set up a great season premiere.

Season 40's premiere was excellent. It went 2 for 6 as well.

[...]

He knows what he's doing, he just didn't do it this time.

Season 40 is the exception. Mike did an outstanding job with that premiere. The only reason why I chose Season 32 (aside from it being the only premiere in my collection) is because it aired 10 years ago. I planned on uploading this episode at a later time, but after today's disaster, I felt it to be a fitting tribute to what used to be and what should have been.

Offline kens5368035

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Unfortunately, wasn't this the last premiere with our our beloved Rod Roddy?

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:51 PM »
When you follow up an Emmy-Winning season with a lackluster season premiere, you're doing it wrong. I wouldn't say Mike doesn't know what he's doing. He just slipped up.

Now to the episode here. I'm surprised Bob didn't take exception to Syd stealing his spotlight like he would eventually do when he became EP.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »
Now to the episode here. I'm surprised Bob didn't take exception to Syd stealing his spotlight like he would eventually do when he became EP.
I'm guessing he DID take exception, but was enough of a professional to not let it show on camera.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:25 PM »
Unfortunately, wasn't this the last premiere with our our beloved Rod Roddy?

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »
The original intent of this post was to show what a season premiere should look like, but now that it has been pointed out that this most likely wasn't supposed to be the actual premiere week, I take back what I said about Mike's handling of it.

Million Dollar Week better be good. :biggrin: