Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/27/2013 (Plinko 30th Anniversary Special)  (Read 24255 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/27/2013 (Plinko 30th Anniversary Special)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 05:26:27 PM »
I finally got to see this episode, and I believe it worked as a one time thing.

The only aspect I didn't like was that they didn't change the small prize format, but other than that it was fun.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
The first two pricing setups (especially the second) were too mean-spirited, the third went too far in the opposite direction (see "Does the iPod start with 2?"), and then things more or less balanced out for the last three setups.

Then again, the lack of chips in the first two setups (and the two-prize showcases) kept this from being the editing nightmare that I was expecting.

How in the heck does a comedian of Drew Carey's stature miss saying SOMETHING about Erik Estrada and (Plinko) CHiPS???!?
I was waiting for the Erik Estrada jokes, too, but there was definitely an edit between that come on down and Drew's throw to the next One Bid. Count that as part of the "no time to learn about the contestants" problem that you get from playing Plinko six times.

I thought Drew's "if you're a fan of Side by Side" joke was funny. Doing it again with Double Prices was okay, and doing it a third time with Coming or Going wasn't funny anymore. It also didn't help that for the last two times, Drew killed the momentum of the joke by pausing to think of another quick one-prize game.

I think doing the "You're going to play Plinko" part of the intro was fine for all six playings. As has been noted, they needed to hide the identities of the center-slot prizes before each reveal (in fact, it looked like the fourth contestant picked up on the trend and reacted to seeing "SUV" on the board before the doors were opened). Now that I think about it, it would have been better if they hadn't taken the reaction shot between Plinko reveal and SUV/London reveal for those two playings -- by that point, you know you're not going to get a good reaction from telling the contestant something they already know. The most unnecessary repetition, though, was taking that shot of the slow zoom-out from the Plinko logo all six times -- we kept missing seeing Drew handing off the free Plinko chip because of it.

I wasn't listening for the point when it happened, but it certainly felt like the audience had stopped fully caring about offering pricing advice by the sixth playing.

(For what it's worth, I made it through three playings before I was tired of seeing Plinko/pricing small prizes.)

I too was getting frustrated with the contestants not dropping their chips down the center of the board. Though you want me to boggle your mind? Before season 36 started taping, during one of Drew's Plinko rehearsals, I decided to drop all five of my chips by propelling them down the far stage left side of the board (just like the one chip in this episode that actually landed in $10,000). Amazingly, two of them landed in the $10,000 slot. Of course, I also broke $20,000 in winnings when I released all five chips down the dead center of the board, so I suppose that doesn't mean much.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
This episode was so boring that I literally fell asleep in the middle of the episode. I missed the SUV playing of the game. Glad to see this bomb out on them. Hopefully this will cause them to rethink ever playing the same show 6 times in a row again.

Offline TPIRSteven

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 11:43:41 PM »
I just got through watching the show online, and I still stand by my earlier claim that the Plinko special would have worked out much better if it was spread out over the course of the week (one playing per day), rather than playing it six times in one show.  The game really started to get old after the third playing, and bad luck with the chips didn't help matters any.

With that said, the prizes in the $1,000 slot actually worked out reasonably well, especially since some of them were worth quite a bit more than $1,000.  I don't think I'd want to see that done on a routine basis, though.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »
The SP portion of Plinko gets dull fast.  Going through that six times was waaaay overkill.  I'd suspect even Joe Plinko might have been getting tired of that.

The main draw of Plinko, on the other hand, really wasn't getting old.  Turns out watching the chips drop and hoping it lands in something good is engaging enough, even watching it six times.

On the other other hand... dang, if there was ever a day you did not want Plinko to have such atrocious luck, this was it.  In the episode specifically showcasing the game, you'd really hope for some better luck.  Just no other way to say that.  The zero-to-middle slot ratio was unreal.

And what the heck was with the SP setups for the second Plinko playing anyway?  Those were ridiculously difficult, but none of the other playings had such nasty SP setups, so... I don't know?

You know, I can't help but feel that the second playing of Plinko could have had a much cooler reveal by showing the car first, then revealing that they were playing Plinko for that car!  That would have been a pretty cool way to reveal the show's gimmick, that all of the games were going to be Plinko.  It just felt kind of uninspired the way it actually was done.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:42 PM »
I agree that the prizes should have been revealed first and then the game after the first playing.  It would have been more interesting and less repetitive then having the same intro each time.  Using the same intro each time just made it feel rushed and it made the prizes and the money offered both feel less significant.

Also, count me in as being disinterested after a while of continually seeing Plinko.  It just got tiring to see the same game each time.  Even if every chip had been won, the center slot had been hit at least once each time, and all the available prizes on the board were won, it still would have gotten repetitive after a while. 

Offline jbtsouthwest

• In the Audience
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
...I just wanted to say that I am genuinely giddy that Scott picked up my Erik Estrada / CHiPS point.  Made my day!   :biggrin:  So grateful to have your insight on this board- LOVED the Do The Math backstory!  Cheers.

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
To anyone wanting to know why Plinko wasn't won please watch this
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 01:38:20 AM »
It was back in June that one of my friends "warned" me that they'd be doing an "all Plinko" episode in the Fall.  I cringed, and I was right to do so!  Honestly, I got pretty much what I expected out of this episode:  namely low payouts, and some SP setups that made it hard to win chips.

Half of all the chips (11 in 22) went into the $0, while only 1 went into the center.  Half of the contestants didn't even win a 4-digit cash total.  All of the contestants managed to hit at least one $0.  The average payout per contestant:  $2,633.33 [I counted the prizes as $1000, since that's what their respective slots would've been on any other day].

I wasn't excited about this episode before, during, or after its airing.

But one interesting thing did come out of this episode if I'm not mistaken:  Plinko now joins Double Prices as 1 of only 2 games to be played 6 times in one week (if I'm remembering the Pricing Game Notes correctly).

JBK

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 02:57:00 AM »
But one interesting thing did come out of this episode if I'm not mistaken:  Plinko now joins Double Prices as 1 of only 2 games to be played 6 times in one week (if I'm remembering the Pricing Game Notes correctly).
You're remembering it correctly, the reason Double Prices was played 6 times in one week was due to the existence of show #0013D(R).

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 11:17:40 AM »
I literally fell asleep during this episode. And I'm a big fan of Plinko. It was just overkill.