Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/7/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 1)  (Read 26169 times)

Offline Banana

• Outside in Line
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/7/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 1)
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
I usually don't agree with you guys, but in the case of Hole In One's new camera angle, I completely agree that it's awful. MannyCav nailed it on the first page (by the way Manny, this is the same Banana from the Mario Kart Wii board on Gamefaqs; hi!). There was nothing wrong with the original split screen view and with my TV, I too was unable to see the player's putting stance. This is the same problem I have with the price reveal in Coming Or Going. Can't see the last three digits of the correct price in that game. Why does TPIR feel the need to alienate those of us who are unable to upgrade our TV's picture to full HD? It's uncalled for. Hopefully this was just a one time deal for this game. Maybe it had something to do with the PCH crew being behind the door where the original back view camera for this game was. TPIR probably moved the camera out of the way to give room for PCH to greet the player had she won (sadly, she didn't; seriously, that SP setup was brutal!). Whatever the reason may be, I hope it's just a one time only thing because if it isn't, I'll be annoyed, that's for sure.

I was also surprised to see Punch-A-Bunch in the lineup today. If the previous game wasn't won, can you imagine giving $20,000 on top of $25,000 if the contestant found that slip? Basically $45,000 won in that game had it happened. That's insane! I'm not saying it's bad, but wow. That was an interesting choice for a game to be played on a day like this. Oh well, I'm just happy to see we didn't get skunked. It was looking bad at the start, but thankfully the second half was good. Seeing That's Too Much! being won is always a great sight.

Offline dad90

• In the Audience
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 09:26:17 PM »
Oh no no no no no no no.

Well, since I'm going to be reviewing about these episodes starting today, let me break it down in terms of:

Pricing Games: (A+ - F-)

Showcase Showdowns #1/#2: (Excellent - Bad)

Showcases: (A+ - F-) (with a Super F-- for DOB, and a Super A++ for DSW)

Winnings: $200,000+: (A+)
$175,000-$199,999: (A)
$150,000-$174,999: (A-)
$125,000-$149,999: (B+)
$100,000-$124,999: (B)
$90,000-$99,999: (B-)
$80,000-$89,999: (C+)
$75,000-$79,999: (C)
$50,000-$74,999: (C-)
$40,000-$49,999: (D)
$39,999 or lower: (F)
4-digit win (For some reason): (F--)

Overall: (??)

So, let's begin.

Pricing Games:
Push Over -> B+  (This is due to the fact it was either $5,000+ or $6,000+.  Unfortunately, it was the $5,000+)
Hole In One -> A solitary F (The Hole in One new camera angle is TERRIBLE!  I dunno what Adam smoked, but he sure failed.  If Bob and Roger saw this, they would be shocked as well.  The contestant didn't fare ANY better in terms of groceries.)
Do The Math -> C (To me, this was easy.  The accessories are cheaper than the computer.  Unfortunately, the peanut gallery got peanuts in their brains and told Consuelo to add instead of subtract.  And the "Family Feud" X is better compared to this X.)
One Wrong Price -> B+ (I thought it was the motorcycle, but I was wrong.)
Punch A Bunch -> B- (Punch A Bunch is Punch A Bunch.  Enough said.)
That's Too Much -> A (TTM is rarely won, and this is another one of those times.)

Showcase Showdown #1 -> Fair
Showcase Showdown #2 -> Good (.95 / $1.00 / $1.05 - When do you see these?)

Showcases: C (As much as I like the models here, switching "guest" models from other shows is not good!  Where are the other regular models? Even I'm beginning to like Rob for some reason.)

Winnings: $83,539 (C+)

Overall: A little Below Average (I'm beginning to wonder: Did these contestants ever signed up for PCH in the first place?  Or from last year for that matter?)

Well, this is only the beginning.  I'll see you tomorrow.

Offline itonosato304

• Outside in Line
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 09:55:48 PM »
Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the new camera angle in Hole in One, but the gameplay in Hole in One still infuriates me more than it does on Bullseye or Cliffhangers, because contestants keep committing the two cardinal sins of not knowing what products to pick, and then missing the first putt, then failing to take advantage of the second.

And, when contestants don't know what products to pick, and miss both putts by a wide margin, it leaves me wondering "WHAT IF?"

As in, what if the contestant had chosen the products wisely, and actually made one of those two putts, and not missed them by a wide margin?

So far this season, I have questioned the atrocious gameplay in some of the easy pricing games such as Ciffhangers, Bullseye and now Hole in One, and I happen to think the contestants are to blame for making them hard to win by making silly, silly and sometimes even fatal mistakes.

At some point this season, the gameplay in future playings on such each games as Bullseye, Cliffhangers and Hole in one has got to be a lot better.

Offline whammy007

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Thank Goodson It's Friday (Prediction Game)
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 09:59:17 PM »
Is it possible that they only changed the camera angle for Hole in One because it is PCH week?  If the putt is made, door 2 opens with the van, big-check and professional-balloon holder to present.  I agree that the angle is not great, but hoping it is just a one-shot deal, which missed out on its payoff shot today.

This is a good point, and I hope that this is the case - we'll have to watch and see on Hole's next playing (or will that be its previous playing? I'm not sure where this falls in taping order).

As for today's show...

He Shoots, He Scores (the good stuff): That's Too Much being won - that's a rare occurrence, but it was set up to be pretty darn winnable today. One Wrong Price was also won, but that was sore-thumb obvious that the game table was probably not $4K+. Pretty good bids on the Showcases, including a sub-1000 by Katie on Rachel's FRATS.

Five For Fighting (the bad stuff): Push Over, lost on what was more or less a 50/50 setup. Do the Math, lost due to a sexed-up iMac (when they say upgraded, they do NOT mess around). Punch, not bad in the SP pricing segment but unlucky punches by Zachary.

Here Comes The Shanaban (the ugly stuff): Hole in One, just in general. Nasty setup, not-so-good putting... at least that's what it looked like, but who can tell with that angle? I hope sidey is right and it's a PCH-only change. Also, the abundance of guest models - where are all our regulars, seriously? I don't mind a guest once in a while, but having so many inexperienced models can slow the show down.

Overall, could've been worse, but for PCH Week where you want lots of winners, the bar needs to be set higher. Underwhelming week-opener for the special.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »
The gameplay in Hole in One still infuriates me more than it does on Bullseye or Cliffhangers, because contestants keep committing the two cardinal sins of not knowing what products to pick, and then missing the first putt, then failing to take advantage of the second.

Go easy on the contestants.  I believe in her mind she thought (or was convinced by the audience) that the gloves were in fact the least expensive item.  Add to that, I imagine most contestants are nervous when playing pricing games, and in Hole in One, which actually requires physical skill, was even more nervewracking than usual today.  Anyone trying to make a 12-foot putt for a car AND $20,000 would be shaking in their boots.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »
I usually don't agree with you guys, but in the case of Hole In One's new camera angle, I completely agree that it's awful. MannyCav nailed it on the first page (by the way Manny, this is the same Banana from the Mario Kart Wii board on Gamefaqs; hi!). There was nothing wrong with the original split screen view and with my TV, I too was unable to see the player's putting stance. This is the same problem I have with the price reveal in Coming Or Going. Can't see the last three digits of the correct price in that game. Why does TPIR feel the need to alienate those of us who are unable to upgrade our TV's picture to full HD? It's uncalled for. Hopefully this was just a one time deal for this game. Maybe it had something to do with the PCH crew being behind the door where the original back view camera for this game was. TPIR probably moved the camera out of the way to give room for PCH to greet the player had she won (sadly, she didn't; seriously, that SP setup was brutal!). Whatever the reason may be, I hope it's just a one time only thing because if it isn't, I'll be annoyed, that's for sure.

I was also surprised to see Punch-A-Bunch in the lineup today. If the previous game wasn't won, can you imagine giving $20,000 on top of $25,000 if the contestant found that slip? Basically $45,000 won in that game had it happened. That's insane! I'm not saying it's bad, but wow. That was an interesting choice for a game to be played on a day like this. Oh well, I'm just happy to see we didn't get skunked. It was looking bad at the start, but thankfully the second half was good. Seeing That's Too Much! being won is always a great sight.
Personally, when it came to this week, I really don't think a casher should've been played.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
The low point was the Showcases, and while I don't know what's been the case with reshooting come on downs as has been said, but after the show, they did a whole bunch of reaction shots with Katie standing behind her Showcase podium alone on the Turntable.  They spent anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes until they finally got what they wanted out of her.  I don't know who the stage director is now, but he kept asking her to react to the home gym to get the "right" amount of enthusiasm out of her ("You gave me a ten.  I need a six!").

This makes me sad.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 10:26:08 PM »
Directing contestants on how excited they can be? They can't be more excited than usual since they're on TV and have a chance to win a nice prize even if it isn't a car? That's terrible. I've accepted some things since reshoots became the norm (even the redoing of CODs), but that crosses the line. Let the reactions happen. Go with the flow. Unless it's something that's absolutely unairable, let it go.

Sideshow brought up an excellent point as to why Hole in One was shot the way it was. That makes so much sense, that it's probably the case. At least I hope it is.

Nothing is wrong with a casher being played, but it'd be best if it was the last game every show this week and the first three or four (for me preferably three) games, potentially excluding the car games at their discretion, are setup to be won.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »
I really hope that Hole in One shot goes away.  That was awful.

The actual retail price is...

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »
The first big change from when I attended last November is the contestant release form has dramatically changed.
When I went a few months ago, it was the first time I went where everybody in line had to sign a contestant release form. In years past, I never had to sign anything... so that's a pretty dramatic change in of itself.

If anybody is curious as to what this "dramatically long" legal document says (it's 3 front & back pages), I've put it up for download here. Maybe I'm biased, being a lawyer and all, but I think it's what we like to refer to in my profession as "plain English" for the most part.

Among the highlights:
-It tells you the eligibility requirements, which they already go over in line about 1000 times.
-You agree that you are eligible, unless you note otherwise.
-You agree that the producer is not obligated to select you as a contestant (duh!).
-You agree not to plug a commercial product, along with some language about how "payola" is against federal law.
-You agree not to rip off the program.
-You agree you have been informed of the rules and to cooperate with the Producer's directions.
-Confidentiality agreement till the show airs w/ a pretty darn clear forfeiture clause (it's in BOLD).
-They can use your image in promotion.
-They are not obligated to award prizes if your show doesn't air.
-You agree to pay taxes.
-CBS agrees to deliver the prizes.
-Liability waiver (you agree not to sue 'em if you die on the program).
-Prizes may be substituted.
-You agree to arbitration in lieu of suing CBS or Fremantle.

I'm really surprised they didn't implement this sooner, given the fact that the program is one of the most sued on the planet (and I believe one of the most recent lawsuits was over PRIZES). They're like the Phillie Phanatic of Game Shows.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 11:25:12 PM »
I don't know when they were expecting to get the win that the show needed today. Push Over was a tossup, Hole had really tough prizes, Punch-A-Bunch is never won, and TTM is almost never won.  I guess you can throw Do The Math and One Wrong Price in the lineup and think that you will get at least one of the two, but that almost didn't happen today.  Whoever wins their showcase wins an extra $20,000?

The loss today confirmed that Do The Math still needs help with the reveal.

Glad we didn't have to explain to somebody how they "lost" with $10,000 on Punch.

I have no problem with Adam trying the new angle on Hole today.  It didn't work, but I have no issue with him trying it.  The green also looks much longer with the split screen, and the putt appears more difficult.  Adam has hit on some things over the past few weeks that have worked (TTM) but that jib zoom into the doors should not be used for every multiprize game.

I've also had enough of the guest models already.  Melissa did not know where to stand during the OWP reveal, and the cameraman couldn't figure out how to get her out of the shot.

Anyway, they didn't say anything about anything you weren't allowed to mention after the show aired, so onwards and forwards.

Actually (and thanks to Mr. Brown for putting it up), it seems as though you are more than welcome to spoil anything before a show airs if you don't win anything.

I don't know who the stage director is now, but he kept asking her to react to the home gym to get the "right" amount of enthusiasm out of her ("You gave me a ten.  I need a six!").

This is very sad.  Fabricated reactions...for what purpose, exactly?

THE GAMEPLAY ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT HAS GOT BE A LOT BETTER IN THE FUTURE, AND YOU CAN NOT BE MAKING SILLY, SILLY MISTAKES ON SEEMINGLY EASY PRICING GAMES, AND EXCEPT TO WIN.

You seem to imply people are making these mistakes on purpose, like they should have known better.  Everybody is trying to win.  If you can do better, head on down to the BBS and prove it.

Well, this is only the beginning.  I'll see you tomorrow.

Can we fast forward to the end?  We try not to judge shows based only on total winnings.

I usually don't agree with you guys...

Welcome to the boards!
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 11:34:37 PM »
(by the way Manny, this is the same Banana from the Mario Kart Wii board on Gamefaqs; hi!).
Welcome to Golden-Road.net. Some of the crew there would suffer brain aneurysms if they saw the level of discussion and dissection that I do here. I still wish I could post my full email response to the, *ahem*, Television Competition Program Refuse web page contributor, but alas, it must remain hidden due to orders, letting sleeping dogs lie, keeping the hatchet buried, and all that.
-They are not obligated to award prizes if your show doesn't air.
I'm fairly certain this clause wasn't always be the case.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »
I'm fairly certain this clause wasn't always be the case.

Nope, I'm fairly certain this has been the case with every single game show that's been produced in the past 50 years.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:24 PM »
Actually (and thanks to Mr. Brown for putting it up), it seems as though you are more than welcome to spoil anything before a show airs if you don't win anything.

Actually, no. The bold part is what sticks out but the paragraph above is more important. (Assuming they have a very liberal definition of "participation in the program" meaning just being in the audience and not on-stage, which is what I am assuming it to be.)

Code: [Select]
I acknowledge that in connection with my participation on the Program, I will acquire confidential information
about CBS, Producer and the Program, including trade secrets, operational methods, contestant winnings, and the outcome
of the episode in which I appear (collectively, "Confidential Information''). I further acknowledge that any disclosure by me
of Confidential Information prior to CBS's broadcast of the episode will eliminate the suspense regarding the outcome of
the episode to viewers watching the Program which will result in irreparable damage to Producer, and CBS therefore, I
hereby expressly agree that Producer and CBS shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief, without posting any
bond, to prevent and/or cure any breach or threatened breach of this paragraph by me. Accordingly, I agree that at all times
prior to CBS's broadcast of the Program, I will not, without prior written approval of Producer and CBS, disclose or discuss
with anyone (including, without limitation, any media source or entity) any Confidential Information that I have obtained in connection with my participation in the program.

That being said, I don't think they would go after some random guy on twitter who spoils a Honda being won. They don't seem like the group who would want to "Make an Example" of someone just to prevent that sorta stuff.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:39 PM »
It bothers me that the $20,000 gimmick affects a contestant's position in the Showcase Showdown and the Showcase.

What in the hell was Adam doing during Hole in One?  That was some of the worst directing I've ever seen -- it was next to impossible to tell where the ball was headed, and some people watching in SD were apparently having trouble even seeing it.  That was just plain stupid.

On the other hand, it was extremely refreshing to have sponsors on almost all of the groceries.

Yay for That's Too Much! being won!

If the deal with Publisher's Clearing House week is twenty grand to the first winner of the day, why would you schedule the now-nearly-impossible-to-win Punch a Bunch in the second half?  It's not helping prevent the very possible scenario that they've had no winners by the end of the show.

Never mind that it would be extremely awkward to give somebody a bonus of $20,000 for winning $25,000.

The low point was the Showcases, and while I don't know what's been the case with reshooting come on downs as has been said, but after the show, they did a whole bunch of reaction shots with Katie standing behind her Showcase podium alone on the Turntable.  They spent anywhere from ten to fifteen minutes until they finally got what they wanted out of her.  I don't know who the stage director is now, but he kept asking her to react to the home gym to get the "right" amount of enthusiasm out of her ("You gave me a ten.  I need a six!").

So now they're halfway scripting the show.  Fantastic.

Mark Goodson would be rolling over in his grave if he knew this was going on.

Is it possible that they only changed the camera angle for Hole in One because it is PCH week?  If the putt is made, door 2 opens with the van, big-check and professional-balloon holder to present.  I agree that the angle is not great, but hoping it is just a one-shot deal, which missed out on its payoff shot today.

That's entirely possible.  And you know what?  I really don't care.  It was still an absolutely moronic thing to do.  If you can't shoot the game from the usual angle, either you get rid of the reason you can't shoot it or, if that isn't an option, you don't play the game.  There's no excuse for changing the directing so drastically that it becomes impossible for viewers to follow the proceedings.

Oh no no no no no no no.

Well, since I'm going to be reviewing about these episodes starting today, let me break it down in terms of:

<Massive quantities of grading criteria snipped>

Bud...seriously...don't do this.  For your own sake, just comment on the episodes.  Don't come up with some convoluted scoring system that nobody besides you is even going to read.

And finally...

WTF IS WRONG WITH HOLE IN ONE? I feel like Hole in One is supposed to be the closest thing to a winnable game for a car you'll see on The Price is Right, and yet contestants keep committing two cardinal sins by not knowing what products to pick and second they miss both putts, usually by a wide margin.

And, worst of all, when one misses both putts by a wide margin, it leaves me wondering "What if?", as in "What if Regina knew what products to choose in the first place?" Perhaps she would not have missed those putts by a wide, wide margin.

THE GAMEPLAY ON THE PRICE IS RIGHT HAS GOT BE A LOT BETTER IN THE FUTURE, AND YOU CAN NOT BE MAKING SILLY, SILLY MISTAKES ON SEEMINGLY EASY PRICING GAMES, AND EXCEPT TO WIN.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the new camera angle in Hole in One, but the gameplay in Hole in One still infuriates me more than it does on Bullseye or Cliffhangers, because contestants keep committing the two cardinal sins of not knowing what products to pick, and then missing the first putt, then failing to take advantage of the second.

And, when contestants don't know what products to pick, and miss both putts by a wide margin, it leaves me wondering "WHAT IF?"

As in, what if the contestant had chosen the products wisely, and actually made one of those two putts, and not missed them by a wide margin?

So far this season, I have questioned the atrocious gameplay in some of the easy pricing games such as Ciffhangers, Bullseye and now Hole in One, and I happen to think the contestants are to blame for making them hard to win by making silly, silly and sometimes even fatal mistakes.

At some point this season, the gameplay in future playings on such each games as Bullseye, Cliffhangers and Hole in one has got to be a lot better.

Dude.  Calm.  The hell.  DOWN.

Your posts are bizarre, and I'm getting tired of it.  I already deleted three of them last week because they were borderline gibberish (two of them were also replies to yourself).  I have no qualms about doing it again if this keeps up.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.