Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/8/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 2)  (Read 20139 times)

Offline tallsy

• In the Audience
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/8/2013 (2013 PCH Week Day 2)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
I agree that GG was tough after the first 3, but a 10 Pack of Allegra has to be over $9, but I would have likely bailed with no idea whatsoever between the other 2.

Offline GoldenBulldog

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Creative Writer, Loyal Friend and True
    • My Faceook Page
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
I'm trying to keep a theme going, and to that end, my take on this show is brought to by the letters...

C, A, Q, T

...and by the number...

Spelling Bee was a fun playing despite the loss (all C's and A's); Michelle must've did her homework because the SPs were somewhat tricky to price. Yet the one gripe I had was the overall obsession with "quickie" games (Switch?, Flip-Flip, and Double Prices); to me, that just made the show seem like it was rushed and lackadaisically put together; speaking of the three quickies, I could've sworn they all had new signs added to them that screamed "WIN ME!" because they looked like very easy setups. Grand Game, however, was a hard setup; overall, it seems like they're going with the extremes here as far as overall game setups go (either very easy or very hard).  If they really wanted to go for a 1-for-6 show, this was the way to go.
I just wanted to drop you a note and thank you for your love, affection and loyalty to me, drew, the models and.... The Price is Right....thank you for being such a "Loyal Friend & True". -Rich Fields (in an e-mail sent to me on 3/17/2010)

I support The Price is Right...even if nobody I know likes Drew Carey.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 05:37:34 PM »
if [Double Prices] wasn't won, the $20,000 was definitely going to roll over to the next show.
Is "the $20,000 rolls over" a confirmed aspect?
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
It's Ranking Time!
<stuff>
But why post the criteria for your scoring again? We've got it once, we don't need it every time.

It was last year, but not this year. I'm assuming it is, but I don't know for sure.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
 :-x
Hopefully not if you're going to keep all that up, what I've seen from you here is no better than what I used to see from you over on BigJon's forum.

As someone who also used to haunt BigJon's forum, I can also vouch. By the time I stopped going there about four years ago, one out of every ten posts in the Net Game Encyclopedia thread was his...all about convoluted games he was never going to host. He's most likely going to keep spamming with his reviews because criticism means nothing to him.

Back on topic: Mike's possibly lightening up on the setups in the second half to encourage more people to watch the first. What he doesn't realize is very simple: Drew is a broken record when it comes to these things (which he forgot to pick up the last time this was done). Plus, this easily could have been thwarted if Spelling Bee was won. He's not going to affect the ratings all that much, try as he might.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:29:37 PM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 07:04:46 PM »
My two cents on this episode:
Spelling Bee: Great to see an exacta. Tough luck in going for the car, though. Thankfully, she made up for that loss in the Showcase.
Switch: I knew that TV wasn't cheap. I wish Shant did, too.
Flip-Flop: Tough break.
Double Prices: Great to see its first playing (and first win) of the season. And bully for Vernon for winning the $20K bonus! (and being the only PG winner of the day)
Grand Game: 2nd day in a row this week, a cash game immediately following a $20K bonus win. I had no idea Capzasin was cheaper than 9 bucks. I thought she had it for sure with that large target price. But I guess it just wasn't meant to be today.
One Away: Another cheap Spark. I would've only missed the last number. Tough break for Una. I thought she was actually going to change that 6 to a 4 on her second try.

More lackluster than yesterday, IMO.
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:51 PM »
One thing that few have noticed: I think Spelling Bee was an honest attempt at getting a win. The SPs were $20, $30 and $40 and with all three of them being even numbers, the chance of one of them being exactaed allowing for 5 cards was much greater (they avoid that in Bee usually). That doesn't exactly explain why the two first half quickies were difficult though - at least one of them should have been easier. You just don't want to come close to risking it this week.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 07:47:22 PM »
One thing that few have noticed: I think Spelling Bee was an honest attempt at getting a win.

I see your thinking, but an honest attempt to get a win would have been to put a "CAR" card (or at the very least an R) in #7.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Double Prices: A (Too easy!)

How does Double Prices ever get an A?  Even if 20K is won.

Showcases: C- (The audience reactions at the second showcase told me that she went over, and she has.)

You know what did it for me?  When Drew read the price of the showcase.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 09:57:50 PM »
How does Double Prices ever get an A?  Even if 20K is won.

You know what did it for me?  When Drew read the price of the showcase.
At leāst, he didn't have to mention the contents for the 3rd time, since George already did that twice. I know that some don't mind that, since they might need to remember what "So and so" bid for, but I can do without it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:03:29 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
It was last year, but not this year. I'm assuming it is, but I don't know for sure.

It was? I know the $20,000 rollover was the case when they played Plinko every day, but in the previous "first pricing game win" week, the rule was that if no contestant won the $20,000 in a pricing game, then the money would be awarded to the Showcase winner. (I don't remember what would have happened if there was then a double overbid.)

Between the one-and-two-fifths weeks this giveaway has been done so far, six of the seven times the $20,000 was awarded, it was in a quick one-decision game (with the sole exception being Shopping Spree).
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Cartboy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
Pretty blah show other than Double Prices, IMHO.

I wish they'd quit making the setups on some of the games really hard.  That setup on Grand Game was ridiculous!

What happened to the cue they used to use for trips to France?  The one they use now sounds like it should be used for trips to New Orleans.

Velvet Sky - 2 time Knockouts Champion, the hottest Knockout, and my favorite Knockout!!

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »
Pretty blah show other than Double Prices.

I think that's the first time anyone has ever said that in human history. :hammer:

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 03:31:42 AM »
I know the $20,000 rollover was the case when they played Plinko every day, but in the previous "first pricing game win" week, the rule was that if no contestant won the $20,000 in a pricing game, then the money would be awarded to the Showcase winner. (I don't remember what would have happened if there was then a double overbid.

Well that's good to know. No reason to suspect things will be handled differently this year.

Anyone else think that $20,000 graphic is awfully chintzy-looking?

What a dry lineup. If you have to play three quickies in an hour, please don't make them all in a row. Grand should've been in the first half for sure, bonus or not.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 04:33:45 AM »
I don't have a problem with the lights between the Turntable and Door #1 in and of themselves...but man, they're having some weird-looking side effects on Door #1 and the Big Wheel.  Something probably ought to be done about that.

This was easily the most enjoyable playing of Switch? since Bob retired.

I wonder if Drew was hamming up One Away to the extreme today because of Hope.  I kind of hope he was.  (No pun intended.)

(For the record, I still vastly prefer, "Ladies, do I have at least one number right?")

This comment doesn't apply to any specific episode, but I really miss the days when at least one of the showcases usually wasn't all that fantastic.  It's boring when they always both have cars or boats or craptons of trips in them.

Anyone else think that $20,000 graphic is awfully chintzy-looking?

Yes.  It reminds me of that stupid "$50,000" graphic Bart used after he got rid of the Plinko sign.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.