Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/14/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 1)  (Read 18264 times)

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/14/2013 (TPiR Season 42 Big Money Week - Day 1)
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 09:07:01 PM »
I for one would have liked to have seen them play the clangs and whoops when she won the $100K to begin with. But hey, congrats to her on her win all the same! :)

You & me both! I think 1/2 off should use the DSW alarm when the money is won. I'm surprised they don't do it.

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36:58 PM »
I for one would have liked to have seen them play the clangs and whoops when she won the $100K to begin with. But hey, congrats to her on her win all the same! :)

Unfortunately, the automated program "HalfOff" doesn't contain "clangswhoops.swf"

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
I think they really wanted 1/2 Off to be won.  Those SP's were relatively easy.  Also, was there more fake cash in the box than usual today?

Line of the Day: "We had a great day today... someone won Stack the Deck!"  -Drew

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
Interestingly, this would have been, in theory, the Friday of premiere week.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2013, 10:25:21 PM »
Mike interviews Cassidy on his podcast, in the middle of the lineup to get into Stage 33. http://therandumbshow.tumblr.com/
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 10:54:49 PM »
With the exception of Easy as 123, every pricing game had a very easy setup.  It was refreshing to see, especially for Stack the Deck.  It seems like it's been an eternity since it was last won. 

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 10:57:24 PM »
The distinction between "daytime" and "primetime" is made so that when money amounts increase and more extravagent prizes are given away, the record books are not affected.

If this was a "daytime" show, 1/2 Off would have been played for $10,000.  Cassidy would have won a very respectable adjusted total of $50,236.

With so many specials that change gameplay, it seems to me that the "daytime" definition needs to be split into specials and non-specials (yes, this would include the Bob era as well).

Great to see Stack won.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
I'll never forget the first time Stack the Deck was played. A Canadian was playing the game, and this person was the FIRST person in the history of the show to play it, and also became the first person to not only play the game, but also win the game as well.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 11:24:13 PM »
You know, as awesome as that 1/2 Off win was, the show just seems imbalanced when you have $100,000 in one game, a BMW in the showcase, and the rest of the show pretty much as normal. Meanwhile, you've got "BIG MONEY WEEK" and falling money on Door #4 throughout the entire show. Even with a win, it's easy to forget that it is Big Money Week.

Speaking of which, that was a really underwhelming celebration for a $100,000 win. Pay the Rent's win last year was awesome, but I think that's because it's what a normal Pay the Rent win looks like. This needed clangers, or confetti, or something. It was basically 1/2 Off with an extra zero in the graphic.

I'm no expert in lineup building (if you don't believe me, go back and find my HYOs), but I feel like 1/2 Off and Stack the Deck conflict pretty badly.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »
You know, as awesome as that 1/2 Off win was, the show just seems imbalanced when you have $100,000 in one game, a BMW in the showcase, and the rest of the show pretty much as normal. Meanwhile, you've got "BIG MONEY WEEK" and falling money on Door #4 throughout the entire show. Even with a win, it's easy to forget that it is Big Money Week.

I had the honor of watching today's show with my 75 year old grandfather, whom I would describe as your typical Joe Plinko. I asked him what he thought of the show cramming the $100 grand into one game, and even he felt that it should have been spread out to the other games (Cadillac instead of a Sonic in Cover, etc). He watches the show every day, and like most Joe Plinkos, he was expecting a big show all-around. While he did enjoy today's show, he would have enjoyed it much more had it been what he expected: a big show, not just a big game.

I credit Mike for trying to make this a big show, and he did succeed in that to some degree ($100K and Stack the Deck wins, etc). But I think most people watching would rather have seen 2 or 3 big winners instead of 1 major winner, myself included. The show just seemed completely out of balance, especially for what is dubbed a week where "over a million dollars worth of prizes" is being offered. Following up the $100,000 win with a sub-$20K Chevy Sonic just seemed really awkward.

This was most certainly a great show, but I really hope we'll see more balance the remainder of the week.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 03:25:01 AM »
Fun show, but if it's "Big Money Week," why is it pretty much just one game with the "Big Money"? I'd like to see at least two games with "Big Money."

All that talk about Stack the Deck never being won, and the one time I turn it on, it gets won perfectly.

Offline trustno1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 03:26:42 AM »
Interesting fact - the top 10 Daytime winners are now all female.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 04:57:55 AM »
Well, boys and girls, today we learned why all of the show's six other directors shot Range Game with a split-screen.

I love it when the show tries to do something they think is really awesome and something totally different ends up upstaging it.  1/2 Off wasn't nearly as exciting as somebody finally winning Stack the Deck.

Double Prices was supposed to be won.

They need, need, NEED to raise the range to at least $500 or less.

You know what?  I'm going to extend Alfonzo's instructions for you to quit complaining about overbids to "Quit complaining about the Showcase in general."

Interestingly, this would have been, in theory, the Friday of premiere week.

Negative.  Wednesday.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 09:16:23 AM »
Cover Up: This was hard.  There were two traps in today's setup...the Gavazzi theorem on the fourth digit and the 0-5-9 trap on the last number.  I had a hunch the fourth digit was 2 and I picked 8 for the last digit due to the paint and fabric protection.  I didn't expect a three as the last number.  Oh well.
What does that mean? The Gavazzi Theorem?

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
What does that mean? The Gavazzi Theorem?

I've never seen it written in any form, but:

THE GAVAZZI THEOREM
Section I:  In Cover Up, the correct choice for the fourth digit of the automobile is, more often than not, the lowest.
Section II:  If a zero is present as a choice for the fourth digit of the automobile, disregard Section I.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.