Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/12/2013 (Bob Barker's 90th Birthday Special)  (Read 19960 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/12/2013 (Bob Barker's 90th Birthday Special)
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
And for any casual viewer of the show who doesn't know why he's reacting this way, it reflects poorly on Drew's hosting ability. I wish he could be more neutral when he hosts that game.

And a lot of other games, for that matter.  I'm really, really tired of Drew starting half of the games by critiquing them, good or bad.  "Hey, That's Too Much is a really hard game, I'm not gonna lie to you... but people do win it sometimes."  What on earth does he think he's accomplishing with stuff like that?

At no point did I feel like the show was being rushed.

But you could tell they chopped the hell out of the first half of Any Number to bring the show in on time.

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
I wonder if the game selection itself had anything to do with Bob (say his favorite games or the like)?  Couldn't help but wonder since they played Any Number (Bob's first and last game), Range Game (with his "37 hours" bit), Flip Flop (which was infamously victimized by a cheater), It's In the Bag (Bob's best intensity-building reveals), etc.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Offline MyNameIsMichael

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »
What a great show! Bob Barker and his St. Louis Cardinals showcase made my day!

Miss you, Bob, and happy 90th!

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:12 AM »
Folks, Check vaderTPIR the whole episode is there. (Thanks, vadernader!)
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »
Bob looks good.  He's a little slower to speak, and he seems a little more frail than we're used to, but his mind is clearly still sharp as a tack.  It's good seeing him again, even if it was just for a few minutes.

Shouldn't somebody have thought to play Barker's Bargain Bar on this episode? :confused:

Lucky $even was definitely supposed to be won.  Actually, it wouldn't have been too shocking to get a perfect show today.

Why were they playing Big Banana for a dining room? :confused:

I know they've had shopping sprees in Hollywood and such that we've snidely referred to as "trips to Los Angeles"...but today, they literally offered a trip to Los Angeles.  What the hell?

I'm sorry, but why in the hell would Mike use a $16,000 car for L7? It's Bob Barker's birthday: the same man who hosted the show for 35 years!!! Something in the $40K+ range would have been way more appropriate. This isn't just another 'typical' special...And the setup? Even with all 5's able to produce a win, why would Mike choose a car with a 2 as the third number? Honestly, if I'd been on stage, I probably would have gone high with the third number, only because the setup looked really evil at that point.

Just to add some perspective to this, on Bob's 80th birthday, Roger played Lucky $even for a Lincoln Town Car.  (And while I'm at it, Switcheroo was played for a $41,000 Ford Thunderbird.  10 years later, I still can't believe that was won.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 03:41:24 AM »
Steve, I consider it an honor that you would quote me in your 16,000th post! :-D

But you could tell they chopped the hell out of the first half of Any Number to bring the show in on time.

I guess I was so caught up in the show that I really didn't pay all that much attention to the editing during that segment. After watching it again, I could tell. As a whole, the show wasn't nearly as butchered as it could have been (or maybe it was, and the editing team just did a hell of a good job masking it).
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 03:58:24 AM »
Well, if you can call that hackjob Big Banana... and congrats on your 16,000th post

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
Awesome show.  Seems appropriate that with Bob's 90th birthday being a landmark, and It's in the Bag being played for up to $16,000 that Steve should log his landmark 16,000th post on here.

I agree, would have been cool had Drew said "Any Number, the first pricing game Bob did on his first show, as well as the last pricing game Bob did on his last show!", but those of us who are LFaT already knew that.  The pricing games selected were most fitting, but agree with most, would have been nice to have Bargain Game re-hashed once more as "Barker's Bargain Bar" instead. 

It was indeed nostalgic seeing Bob asking Gail (Evelyn) for her bid on her showcase.  Loved the line he said to her about them being "soulmates"!  Awesome animal adoption segment.  It was touching when Bob said how thrilled he was when Drew told him back in 2007 that he intended to continue the spay/neuter plug at the end of the show.

I look forward to 10 years from now, when Bob turns 100, and I don't, although both Bob & I are Sagittarians (as is another favorite host of mine, Wink Martindale).

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 10:47:59 AM »

I agree. And as I was pointing out the other day, normally they would use Big Banana for presenting a car and they could've used that on L7 or A#.

And speaking of cars, I think it would've been best if at least they brought out a Corvette for one of the Showcases.

And also, congrats on your 16,000th post!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I agree, would have been cool had Drew said "Any Number, the first pricing game Bob did on his first show, as well as the last pricing game Bob did on his last show!", but those of us who are LFaT already knew that.

It's quite possible that Drew did mention that, but it was edited out for time.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline jbtsouthwest

• In the Audience
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
Just wanted to add that in Bob's impish grin and wave next to the cake at the end, he looked remarkably just like he did in an early promo shot I remember seeing around (like T or C early?).  I'll look for it.  It just struck me how awesome his amazing longevity is, and while the hair is greyer, the mind is sharp and the WGMC is always there.  Tearjerking and heartwarming to say the least.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »
OK after watching for the 2nd time.....

Was Bob's Showcase the first time it didn't end with some version of "The Price is Right" ?   I don't ever remember on without that last line.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2013, 06:11:13 PM »
Was Bob's Showcase the first time it didn't end with some version of "The Price is Right" ?   I don't ever remember on without that last line.

Dr. Clappinger. :)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »
Dr. Clappinger. :)

Even that had "If the price is right" in it.   
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »
The two Rod Roddys skit also had no "The Price is Right" part of it.