Author Topic: Game show vs. quiz show; which shows are most like one or the other?  (Read 2761 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
One under appreciated distinction among programming is the distinction of a "quiz" show and a "game" show. Traditionally, a quiz show involves pure knowledge without the aid of the luck and/or skill that a "game" show provides. I recently came across a Blockbusters rerun where Bill Cullen acknowledged that the term quiz shows were by then an anarchism and the term "game shows" had replaced it. Some sources say that the transition happened after the Quiz Show Scandals, even if there were true quizzers developed later on such as Jeopardy! and the Who, What, or Where game before the term "game show" had fully caught on around the mid-70s. That said, the distinction still holds true today with Deal or No Deal IMO the extreme of having all luck and GSN's The Chase and Jeopardy! requiring pure knowledge to come out on top. Then you have the word games that require some good skills to grasp the concept that don't generally involve luck, but aren't real quiz shows. What I'd like for you to do is with the popular game shows listed, on a scale of 0 to 10 rate them by virtue of what distinction each program is presented, with 0 representing "Game Show" and 10 representing "Quiz Show" with a 5 representing an even mix of the two styles being presented. Feel free to add your own show(s) if they aren't listed. I'll even provide my own input.

Deal or No Deal= 0
Treasure Hunt= 0
The Price is Right= 1 (Understanding what things cost can help people be more savvy with their shopping)
Let's Make a Deal= 1 (There are a couple trivia games which keeps it from being a 0)
Press Your Luck= 2
Wheel of Fortune= 2
Scrabble= 2
Concentration= 2
The Diamond Head Game= 3
Family Feud=3 (Surveys aren't exactly real knowledge, though at least its not pure luck)
Match Game= 3
Supermarket Sweep= 3
Shop Til You Drop= 3
The Newlywed Game= 4 (The answers/questions are all personal and are in a quiz format, but can be very manipulative).
Double Dare (Nickelodeon)= 4
Monopoly= 4 (The question round turned out to be important to the outcome of the game)
The Joker's Wild= 5
Password= 5
Sale of the Century= 6
Pyramid= 6
Tic Tac Dough= 7
Double Dare (Trebek)= 8
Wipeout ('88)= 8
1 vs. 100= 8
Greed= 8
Twenty-One= 9
Blockbusters= 9
Who, What, or Where Game= 10
Jeopardy!= 10
WWTBAM= 10
High School Quiz Shows/Quiz Kids/College Bowl= 10
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Game show vs. quiz show; which shows are most like one or the other?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
Dealer's Choice= 0. 100% luck. Great game though.

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 11:18:08 PM »
I would drop Greed a couple of notches due to the fact that half the questions were survey/popular opinion questions that no one could possibly know.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
The Challengers = 10 (not sure if it's the same as Who, What, or Where Game or not)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:56:48 PM »
I would drop Greed a couple of notches due to the fact that half the questions were survey/popular opinion questions that no one could possibly know.

Also, Greed was a team game where, as a contestant, you did not always have control over your own destiny.

You were asked a multiple choice question, selected an answer, and it was up to the team captain to accept it or reject it.  So you could have guessed the right answer, but if the team captain rejected your choice, that's it, better luck next time and don't forget your parting gifts on the way out.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:47 PM »
Also, Greed was a team game where, as a contestant, you did not always have control over your own destiny.

You were asked a multiple choice question, selected an answer, and it was up to the team captain to accept it or reject it.  So you could have guessed the right answer, but if the team captain rejected your choice, that's it, better luck next time and don't forget your parting gifts on the way out.
Ditto if a question came up that you knew, but it wasn't your question to answer. If your teammate bungles a question, and the captain either accepts it, or changes it to a different wrong answer, you're still SOL and stuck with the Rice-a-Roni and the Turtle Wax.

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 01:19:31 PM »
I don't believe you even got parting gifts on Greed, did you?  Most of those million dollar shows make it clear that going home with nothing means exactly that.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 10:06:10 PM »
I know this an old thread, but the information is still relevant, and I'd like to add some new shows to my previous list.

Family Game Night: 1
Card Sharks: 2
Gambit/Catch 21: 2
Legends of the Hidden Temple: 2
Win, Lose or Draw: 3
Name That Tune: 3
Hollywood Squares: 4
Chain Reaction: 4
Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego: 4 (the sketches involving each clue and especially the "Loot, Warrant, Crook" round knocks it down a bit)
25 Words Or Less: 5
To Say The Least: 5
Whew!: 6
Celebrity Name Game: 7
Trivia Trap: 8
Debt: 9
History IQ: 10
The Chase: 10

What I didn't include are the panel shows, since their style of gameplay tends to be unique in a detective-type sense compared to the more proper quizzers and mind teasers. But if I had to give them a score, I'd give them about a 5.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
You Don't Say! = 5 because of its similarities to Password.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne