Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/30/2013 (TPiR "Best of 2013" Special)  (Read 16947 times)

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/30/2013 (TPiR "Best of 2013" Special)
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 03:09:41 PM »
Hands down one of the best episodes of the current Drew Carey run. So good.

Offline 03F5man

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
I think they should have played Golden Road for that audi. When she won that car my jaw dropped pretty much to the floor with a thud.

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 03:27:19 PM »
Gas Money: When it comes down to a win like this, I think Jeff Spicolli did it best when he said this:

Or, you could go with the alternative—what Roger would say to Mike after producing one of the best shows of this era!
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
I'm keeping this episode on my DVR for awhile.

Plinko: $2500 isn't too bad and the contestant's row prize was fantastic.

Squeeze Play: Nice win of a fantastic trip.

Lucky 7: Well played game and great win of a nice car. I like Lucky 7 because I've always felt when this game is won it's truly earned.

$25000 on the wheel! Awesome!

Do the Math: Home gyms aren't my favorite prizes but the fridge was a nice prize and it's always good to see a win. The contestant's row prize was fantastic here.

Gas Money: 1 of the best moments in TPIR history. I'm not normally a fan of Gas Money but I found I loved seeing it played for such a high end prize. As someone who mainly watches for prizes and gameplay Dream Car Week was a concept I loved and it was great to see a piece of it today. Wonderfully suspenseful playing with a super thrilling win.

Pick a Pair: Easy win of an outstanding trip.

Showcases: I would always bid if I had 1st choice and the 1st showcase included a car. It's turns out both showcases had cars and neither showcase was that much better than the other we were in good as long as we didn't have a double overbid.

That's how to do a themed show without overdoing it. Keep the games 1 player games and integrate the theme without it being too dominant that is what today was.

Santa Claus came to the BoB Barker studio a week late. I'm keeping this episode for a while. :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:39:55 PM by moneygamelover »
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline scooterndc

• Outside in Line
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
The only downer for me was that Rob, Amber and Manuela weren't there to help celebrate... which was particularly annoying, considering that all five of the regular models were prominently featured in the "Best Of" clips shown in the opening seconds of the show.  :roll:

Come on, Mr. Richards, enough with the "guest model" folderol. Whatever happened to "Models Rule"?! Bring the Price is Right family back together for 2014--give us back our models!

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
P!: Not as much as we've seen very recently, but that's better than nothing.

SP: Pretty easy.

L7: Generous setup. Shalita's last digit guess of 6 was iffy (because the last number's usually 1 or 9), but it worked out!

SCSD #1: Finally, a $26K winner!

DtM: I think I would've lost.

GM: $152K+ would've also been my guess & WE HAVE A NEW ALL-TIME DAYTIME WINNER!!!!!!!

PaP: After P!, the other five PGs were won (including this one)!

SCSD #2: After Sheree was done spinning, I would've liked it if they had shown her final GT (because we couldn't fully hear the price of the shoes that she won to even get up on stage).

Showcases: I had a feeling Shalita lost after she made her bid.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 04:30:24 PM »
Forgot to mention this in my first post...

I don't know when the eligibility period for the Daytime Emmy Awards ends, but the show would be insane not to submit this show for nomination (either for 2013 or 2014).

They've just won themselves another Emmy.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:34:13 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
Or, you could go with the alternative—what Roger would say to Mike after producing one of the best shows of this era!
I think both of them are really suitable here.  :-) Roger would really give Mike the thumbs up with this one.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:58:13 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:02 PM »
This is how I felt upon seeing the big win. This is the sports equivalent of that. :D

Even though she didn't make it to the showcase, Sheree's place in TPiR history is cemented.

As stated, please don't put embedded videos on posts. Link them, as I have done for you.

-- Adam
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:03:53 PM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline Swingbatta0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Woefully underplayed.
    • Nick's Table of Trades
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
My two cents:

Plinko: $2,500 isn't too bad. (in my books. at least $1,000 is a partial win in my books)
Squeeze Play: Tricky for me, but at least she got it.
Lucky Seven: I had a feeling she'd win that Mini Cooper! And congrats on her winning $26K on the big wheel!
Do the Math: Good win! And congrats to Jeffrey on winning his Showcase!
Gas Money: All I can say is… WOW! And she became the biggest daytime winner without even making it to the Showcase!
Pick a Pair: What a win! And for a trip to Aruba for 6 to boot!

Over $290,000 in cash and prizes given away in one day! This is DEFINITELY the Best of 2013!
If interested in trading, consult Nick's Table of Trades:

http://tableoftrades.weebly.com/index.html

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 07:17:31 PM »
Anyone caught the hidden nugget today? The key chain in the Audi had the classic TPIR logo on it. Look carefully and you see it.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 07:23:34 PM »
a H U G E congratulations goes out to Sheree for her HUGE gas money win! WAY TO GO!!!!!

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 07:36:54 PM »
For those mentioning them not saying anything about the Rent win, they *did* show it at least once in the various montages.  Maybe they didn't spend any more time on it because Rent wasn't played, or because they basically handed it to her on a silver platter, or because they're starting to see that the game might not have had the favorable impact they thought it would... could be any number of things.

I thought the show was very well done.  I was almost expecting Bob to make a(nother) return trip, albeit a briefer one, since they highlighted him coming back.
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Anyone caught the hidden nugget today? The key chain in the Audi had the classic TPIR logo on it. Look carefully and you see it.

I did notice that as well. I don't usually notice those small things, but I actually did today.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 09:14:59 PM »
As stated, please don't put embedded videos on posts. Link them, as I have done for you.

-- Adam

I know nothing about how this board functions, but is there perhaps a way to disable this function on all boards except for the Video Discussion section?

Had the Christmas shows been taped after this, this show would've been all the explanation I needed for how poorly produced they were.

They absolutely pulled out all the stops this year. The awesome intro, the flashback clips, the prizes... An all around unbelievable show. These are the production values we should strive for on a regular basis. MASSIVE kudos to the staff for putting this together.