Author Topic: 1/31/14 -- RESULTS  (Read 8363 times)

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 1/31/14 -- RESULTS
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
If that's how you feel, then FPG should no longer exist. In today's world of heavy promotion and social media it is impossible to avoid spoilers when it comes to games being played....

Thanks for your feedback.  I really do appreciate it.  And I don't want to make a big deal out of it.  It's a game...I get that.  I'm as competitive here as anyone else.

What I propose is very simple.  There are a lot of spoilers these days, you're right.  But the whole show wasn't spoiled..just one game.  Remove it from the game.  No big deal. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 09:41:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure we all had a long discussion about spoilers over the summer--in the "Open Thread".  Ultimately, we decided that the CBS spoilers were out of play and those PGs automatically had to be given a "1" confidence ranking.  Spoilers from other news sources are still in play, just as they have been since the beginning of the FPG.  And even if and when a PG is spoiled, you still have to predict its slot and its result (a PG result very rarely gets spoiled by non-CBS media since contestants have to sign non-disclosure agreements and are forbidden from revealing such information).  We could certainly make all media spoilers out of play and have all spoiled games automatically assigned a "1" ranking... but that rule change will have to wait until next season.

I should add this:  Everybody here already knows my opinions about spoilers.  Remember how upset I got the last time games got spoiled?  http://www.golden-road.net/index.php?topic=22351.0

And above all, sidey, remember this:  I didn't get the spoiler until after I submitted my picks... and I still beat all three four of the players who saw and used the spoiler.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 09:56:12 PM by BRB_TheFireball »
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 09:46:18 PM »
And above all, sidey, remember this:  I didn't get the spoiler until after I submitted my picks... and I still beat all three of the players who saw and used the spoiler.

Actually, there were 4. DJTorgo put a CP of 1 because he thought that was the rule as well. You beat him too! (As did 6 others!)
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 11:54:38 PM »
We could certainly make all media spoilers out of play and have all spoiled games automatically assigned a "1" ranking... but that rule change will have to wait until next season.

DON'T that rule that we could has been here since the beginning and as I said
We will have so many automatic 1 CP games that it is insane.

Also just because many people but an uncommon game with a CP of 4, 5 or 6 DON'T be so trigger happy and think "Hey! I'll ban you from playing because you didn't tell me of a spoiler!"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:56:39 PM by TheGRVOfLightning »
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 01:54:30 AM »
I did so poorly, I forgot I even picked Danger Price.

I wish we still had Willy's examples from the old rules thread, those were perfect. Pretty sure they went like: "The Denver Post publishes an article stating that a local college student won three cars playing Triple Play. You share this information with one other person, but no one else. FAIR GAME."

This was pretty much what happened today, albeit with even less to go on, as evident that we all called it for a loss. I generally check for spoilers for each FPG, but very rarely find anything useful, as most articles just state to watch the contestant on Friday and see how they did. In addition to predicting what game will be played, we also have to predict its result and slot, so even if a game is spoiled, there is still predicting within said game, Golden Road and Triple Play (usually), notwithstanding.

I see no reason for this rule to change, as it was already pointed out that a non CBS source spoiling a game is extremely rare.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 09:27:58 AM »
Let me make sure I have this right.  I'm not allowed to "cheat" in CSS.
That doesn't seem to stop you.  Your name was caught searching the forums at the same time as another member (whose name will not be mentioned in this thread because it doesn't involve him).
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
That doesn't seem to stop you.  Your name was caught searching the forums at the same time as another member (whose name will not be mentioned in this thread because it doesn't involve him).

Have you seen my CSS record?  Yeah, I cheat...
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline ShatterMySoul99

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »

And above all, sidey, remember this:  I didn't get the spoiler until after I submitted my picks... and I still beat all three four of the players who saw and used the spoiler.

To further back this point up, I had no idea about the spoiler at all till wayyyy after picks were submitted, and I still won this week.   

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:27 AM »
I searched for spoilers, as I do every week, and came up empty.  I was grateful that Fireball pointed out where one person (guessing it was one person who shared with whomever they chose) was able to find something.

There was an extensive discussion before the season about how to modernize the game and we came up with a ruleset that everybody was willing to test run.  It's certainly fluid and could change, but that would probably be between seasons again.

I wish we still had Willy's examples from the old rules thread, those were perfect. Pretty sure they went like: "The Denver Post publishes an article stating that a local college student won three cars playing Triple Play. You share this information with one other person, but no one else. FAIR GAME."
In today's world of heavy promotion and social media it is impossible to avoid spoilers when it comes to games being played...Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, CBS Press Express, The News, Promos During the Show, Promos After the Show, Promos During Other Shows, The TVs Featured as Prizes on the Show. They're everywhere.

Here you go. But this is a part of the problem as well, both trying to cling to past "examples" and move forward when the game is no longer the same. Everybody should toss out any old notion of rules and actually go read how we are playing this season.

This was a low blow and probably doesn't belong in this forum, but are you the CSS Police?  This is worse then fans calling in penalties in the PGA Tour.  Play the game with integrity for yourself, and let the moderators handle the rest.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »
Have you seen my CSS record?  Yeah, I cheat...

I never said you were GOOD at it.   :D

Quote from: Flerbert419
I searched for spoilers, as I do every week, and came up empty.
This one was obscure, and I'm not sure how someone found it.  A local news website reported on a contestant's performance on The Price Is Right, and the article stated that she played Danger Price (but not the outcome).
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
I searched for spoilers, as I do every week, and came up empty.
This one was obscure, and I'm not sure how someone found it.  A local news website reported on a contestant's performance on The Price Is Right, and the article stated that she played Danger Price (but not the outcome).

Through hours of vigorous searching through every local news page on the internet.

Here you go. But this is a part of the problem as well, both trying to cling to past "examples" and move forward when the game is no longer the same. Everybody should toss out any old notion of rules and actually go read how we are playing this season.

Not quite sure why you are making this statement, as the rules on non-CBS spoilers are exactly the same as before just with different wording.

For any other media spoilers:

Any information offered up by non-CBS entities (such as a TV station, radio station, newspaper, or other Internet source) that contains spoilers of an episode on which an FPG takes place is fair game for all players and will not constitute disqualification, so long as the spoiled information was available to all players freely.  A spoiler of this type may be shared with other people as you see fit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:20:27 PM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 05:58:34 AM »
Having only just now gotten done watching Friday's show, I'm gonna throw this out majorly late:  Torgo, if you're going to accuse a site staffer of cheating on one of our games...well, unless you have irrefutable proof (and I sincerely doubt that you do), DON'T.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.