Author Topic: Penalties for exceeding limits?  (Read 6103 times)

Offline ILoveBonusGame

• 2/15/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Penalties for exceeding limits?
« on: May 26, 2006, 11:20:19 AM »
Can Price be penalized financially by CBS if its segments exceed the set time limits? I realize usually edits would take place, but what about in the event that an edit couldn't take place without affecting the outcome of the game/entire show? If a contestant refuses to reshoot a segment?

For example, Price, with all of its commericials, usually doesn't go any longer that 38.5 minutes. Could it be heavily fined for going say, 43 minutes, because edits would affect the outcome of the show?

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Penalties for exceeding limits?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 11:34:02 AM »
No fines. If the episode did not conform to time specifications, the Network would reject it.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 11:55:24 AM »
This would never happen, I'm quite aware, but theoretically, at least, could the show itself buy commercial time to make the show longer, should, for whatever odd reason, they felt it worth it?

Offline OldPrice75

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:31:33 PM »
Do they allow more time for shows with special occasions (like the 5000th show), or do they just hurry it up later?

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »
The Network gives the producers the length requirements.  The production company either sticks to the Network's requirements or the shows don't air.

If the producers were to try to "sneak" extra time into a show at the last minute without accounting for it on the runsheet, the end of the show would be clipped by net control.  They have to follow the clock so that the affiliates can get their midday news on the air on time.

And since the show is not live, there is no reason for them not to keep the episode within its predetermined time constraints.  We're not talking about the Masters or some NASCAR event.

You'll note that in 34 years, they've never turned in a show that deliberately went too long, so I don't think there's any real reason to worry.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »
First let me say I'm firmly in the "This would NEVER happen on TPiR" camp.  That said, what Frank suggests isn't without precedent.

There was an episode of Mad About You several years back that was basically one shot in a single continuous take.  In press interviews about it, someone (Helen Hunt, I think) said that the show went over by about 40 seconds and couldn't be edited down because of the nature of that production.  She claimed that the producers DID have to pay something as a result.  I never was able to understand if they were paying the network for the time, paying the producers of ER (the next show) for the time they were stealing, or paying one of those two parties the cost of reëditing ER to cut the 40 seconds off that show.