Author Topic: Has Drew Improved as Host in Recent Seasons? 4/1 spoilers; split off AFD thread  (Read 19263 times)

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
Confirmation bias can be a funny thing :)
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
The only people who post on that page are people who don't like Drew, this is nothing new.

huh, that's odd.. i would have thought the official pages to be far more positive. 

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
huh, that's odd.. i would have thought the official pages to be far more positive.

Well there are sometimes positive comments, but from what I have seen it has been a majority of either negative comments, comments about the models, or comments about airdates/tapedates. Not to mention all the people who comment about the show being rigged, etc. :P
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
It's a lot easier to reinforce your opinion on someone or something when you look at places that you think will have the same beliefs as you. It's a lot harder to look at places that have an opposite viewpoint and re-think your own based on that. :P
That can happen, but the converse--the other extreme--is no better, if not worse. Imagine going into a vastly pro-Drew board, then posting a somewhat critical review of him there. Regardless of how polite, well-thought-out, researched, well-constructed, respectful, and well-presented your opinion is, there's a good chance you'll be labeled a troll by many there for doing something so 'ignorant' and 'mindless' as going into a place you know likes something, then posting a 'negative, degrading' viewpoint. GameFAQs is a big haven for this. You go into, say, a Team Fortress, Portal, or Half-Life board and list some of the issues you have with the game. It doesn't matter if you're troll or not, or if you've done all of the good things I mentioned before--there's a high probability you'll be labeled a troll for 'barging' into the board and saying 'bad' stuff about the games they love so much. You'll likely get your posts reported for moderation, too, regardless of whether or not you broke any rules, flamed, or trolled. In that case, you better hope the staff did its job in choosing unbiased moderators, and you don't get one that's as wild as the members that comprise part or most of the board.

The best you can do is think about what you're saying, say it as tactfully as possible, research it if need be or feasible under the circumstances, and post away. If they can't take fair points that don't align with their own, that's their problem, not yours.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:19:27 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
That can happen, but the converse--the other extreme--is no better, if not worse. Imagine going into a vastly pro-Drew board, then posting a somewhat critical review of him there. Regardless of how polite, well-thought-out, researched, well-constructed, respectful, and well-presented your opinion is, there's a good chance you'll be labeled a troll by many there for doing something so 'ignorant' and 'mindless' as going into a place you know likes something, then posting a 'negative, degrading' viewpoint. GameFAQs is a big haven for this. You go into, say, a Team Fortress, Portal, or Half-Life board and list some of the issues you have with the game. It doesn't matter if you're troll or not, or if you've done all of the good things I mentioned before--there's a high probability you'll be labeled a troll for 'barging' into the board and saying 'bad' stuff about the games they love so much. You'll likely get your posts reported for moderation, too, regardless of whether or not you broke any rules, flamed, or trolled. In that case, you better hope the staff did its job in choosing unbiased moderators, and you don't get one that's as wild as the members that comprise part or most of the board.

The best you can do is think about what you're saying, say it as tactfully as possible, research it if need be or feasible under the circumstances, and post away. If they can't take fair points that don't align with their own, that's their problem, not yours.

Yep, I agree with you. That's why I made sure not to say positive/negative and rather "your viewpoint/opinion" as it could be either side. I'm not trying to say one side is right or wrong, and you're right in both points.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
Yep, I agree with you. That's why I made sure not to say positive/negative and rather "your viewpoint/opinion" as it could be either side. I'm not trying to say one side is right or wrong, and you're right in both points.

after coming off the ferguson hi...
I've been toying around with watching all of next weeks shows just to see if my opinion can be changed...but somehow I doubt it :).

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.

I've been toying around with watching all of next weeks shows just to see if my opinion can be changed...but somehow I doubt it :).

You don't have to change your opinion, there's nothing wrong with it as it is exactly that - your opinion. It's not my place to tell you or make you change it, and I was not trying to do either. I was more speaking in general. :P

That being said, saying "somehow I doubt it" isn't the best way to go into it. :P

Offline MannyCav

• Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.

Oh, I'm sure you'll be thrilled with commentary such as this. :roll: Really, though, vader does kind of have a point of if you don't go into something with an open mind, you likely won't find much of anything worth liking, but that can be because of two things--you have a rather closed mind, or you have real, legitimate reasons for thinking or suspecting things will not be much different. I mean, even I doubt you'll find anything that will change your mind, and that's just from my perspective, not because yours and not because of anything you said.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 07:09:57 PM by MannyCav »
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
Here's a good little article from yesterday on the show's 8,000th show. 

http://news.yahoo.com/drew-carey-makes-price-own-124418600.html

More interesting to me is the amount of people commenting on how much they enjoy Drew.  Outside of our group here, I'd venture a guess to say the majority of folks are liking what they are seeing and that he IS improving.  Or that he's at least improved the show beyond the numbers Bob's final season was pulling in.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline MannyCav

Such is life, I suppose. My opinion is but my own, as their opinions are but their own. I can't say for sure how regularly or how long they've watched. I can only say this for myself: Having been a long-time fan of The Price Is Right, I've seen a lot, and most relevantly, the years leading up to Bob's retirement, and Drew since then. Having watched for a long time, every day, and being such a fan of the show (regardless of whatever impression may be garnered from reading whenever I note something off about something), I'm more inclined to notice when Drew is having one of his many off days or moments compared to when he's being par excellence. Being a regular fan, watcher, and LFAT, I'm more inclined to notice and observe more subtle details, such as when something on the show or someone on the show is off, and to note that thing in comparison to how that could have been done better, or how it was done better on a different occasion, recent or past, where other more casual viewers that only watch once in awhile, and haven't seen the breadth of years that I have, might miss these things or gloss over more subtle things that the average viewer might not catch on to. It doesn't make their opinions less relevant--it just provides a different perspective: The viewer who's watched for years and every day, and the viewer who watches more casually, might be a recent fan, might have tuned in for that special episode(s), or only watched occasionally years ago as a child growing up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:43:23 PM by MannyCav »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
By the same token, someone who likewise has watched regularly for years might well be quite happy with things now, more so than perhaps the years before the current regime. It doesn't fall into designated "hard core/long time" vs "casual/short time" categories.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Such is life, I suppose. My opinion is but my own, as their opinions are but their own. I can't say for sure how regularly or how long they've watched. I can only say this for myself: Having been a long-time fan of The Price Is Right, I've seen a lot, and most relevantly, the years leading up to Bob's retirement, and Drew since then. Having watched for a long time, every day, and being such a fan of the show (regardless of whatever impression may be garnered from reading whenever I note something off about something), I'm more inclined to notice when Drew is having one of his many off days or moments compared to when he's being par excellence. Being a regular fan, watcher, and LFAT, I'm more inclined to notice and observe more subtle details, such as when something on the show or someone on the show is off, and to note that thing in comparison to how that could have been done better, or how it was done better on a different occasion, recent or past, where other more casual viewers that only watch once in awhile, and haven't seen the breadth of years that I have, might miss these things or gloss over more subtle things that the average viewer might not catch on to. It doesn't make their opinions less relevant--it just provides a different perspective: The viewer who's watched for years and every day, and the viewer who watches more casually, might be a recent fan, might have tuned in for that special episode(s), or only watched occasionally years ago as a child growing up.

I think it's wrong to assume that people commenting that they like Drew are casual viewers who only tune in once in a while. Just like it's wrong to assume that people who don't like Drew are long-time viewers, etc.

Maybe that wasn't what you wanted or intended to get across, but that was just something I noticed.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner

Oh no, Manny, please don't get me wrong.  I'm very much in agreement with you.  I notice every minutiae as well, but my point is...we, here on our little island in the middle of the internet, are more than likely in the minority than we may like to believe.
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline MannyCav

*Another wall-o-text warning here. This is a debate about a popular subject, so things are inevitably going to get fleshed out. If this isn't your cup of tea, I'll certainly understand.
By the same token, someone who likewise has watched regularly for years might well be quite happy with things now, more so than perhaps the years before the current regime. It doesn't fall into designated "hard core/long time" vs "casual/short time" categories.
Oh, yes, you're right. Those categories very much can be mixed together. Some of the members here (I would assume including you as a regular [nearly] everyday viewer) prove that very point. I'll get onto the point I was trying to make here later, but to underscore something I said at the front of my post just to avoid this type of assumption or confusion: "I can't say for sure how regularly or how long they've watched." The commentators are probably a mixed bag of the two, and, yes, there's certainly some watching for the specials. I'm not, by any means, going to say that everyone in that link or everyone that likes Drew is a casual fan. That would be degrading both to people that like Drew ("You like Drew. You're just a casual fan!"--I cringe at the thought of it) and to casual fans themselves.
I think it's wrong to assume that people commenting that they like Drew are casual viewers who only tune in once in a while. Just like it's wrong to assume that people who don't like Drew are long-time viewers, etc.

Maybe that wasn't what you wanted or intended to get across, but that was just something I noticed.
You're also right. I wouldn't assume that everyone in that link are once-in-a-while viewers. It can go in any direction.
Oh no, Manny, please don't get me wrong.  I'm very much in agreement with you.  I notice every minutiae as well, but my point is...we, here on our little island in the middle of the internet, are more than likely in the minority than we may like to believe.
I have, previously in this thread, acknowledged myself in the minority. Being "hardcore" fans puts us in the minority.

To illustrate part of what I was saying: This is how a casual fan might look at an episode (as one-half of the ""hard core/long time" vs "casual/short time" categories):

"Good show today! Drew was funny this episode with those things he said. That Rat Race game they placed today was real fun to watch, and I liked those prizes at the showcase showdown [more common a mistake, even among actual contestants, than I'm sure some of us would like to believe] in the end, and how close those bids were! Real tense!"

A fan that watches every day, and has so for years, might notice this:

"Drew used some of his old lines again today. I'm sure Drew thinks, "New rule: Whoever bids closes to the retail price of the items plays a pricing game. We just put that in," is very amusing, but it gets tiring and repetitive when it's done a couple or so times a week. Like caressing the grocery items. The line-up [Who else but us could even spot a bad, repetitive pricing game line-up from a good one? Would even most regular viewers know how to differentiate between the two?] was also very lazy and hashed together. That's Too Much doesn't make a good lead-in as a quick car game that's typically lost, and we played Squeeze Play just two taped episodes ago [something else even regular viewers that watch every day might not know about--the taping schedule is so scrambled these days that you can't be sure yesterday's episode or the one two days ago even came from the same week or even month]. Also, must we constantly deal with these cookie-cutter showcases and Drew ignoring the winners after the overbid?"

Just some examples of how differently things may be viewed. Neither one is 'correct' per se--it's a matter of perspective and opinion. And lest I mention it not enough, and to give mention to the other half of the "hard core/long time" vs "casual/short time" equation, there's every chance in the world that a hardcore fan can find Drew and Mike to be the bee's knees, and similarly, even casual watchers that don't know much about backstage production or more easily missed details can still catch on to odd things, like a certain Bonus Game incident (I tried to find the referred to post, to no avail), just to name one among many.

It comes down to this, and to finish the equation: The biggest, most supportive fans of a show, like TPIR, can be its biggest critics. They simply know more about what goes on behind the scenes of the show, know more history, notice more differences on a show-to-show basis, notice more details, and know more about show precedent and how something may have been better handled on X occasion than Y. We, as the "hardcore" LFATs, tend to be more critical than others because we've seen more and know what things to look for in a good show or performance. That doesn't make us better than casual viewers, or our perspective the correct one. It just means that all viewers see things through different lenses.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:31:23 PM by MannyCav »