Author Topic: Price is Right in HD?  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Chief-O

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Price is Right in HD?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »

TVC wrote:
Years ago, I read an article about how the CBS Engineering Department modified their PC-70s for improved performance. To use a bit of contemporary slang, these Norelcos were "tricked out." The success that CBS achieved prompted them to sell retrofit kits to other broadcasters that owned PC-70s.

I have heard about their mods---mostly, to improve detail [sharpness]. Notice how early eps. of MG7x look sharper than, say, LMAD from the same period. Same cameras, but CBS's were modded. I don't believe ABC's were.

Does anyone know what model camera is being used to shoot TPIR nowadays? I caught a glimpse of one during a recent episode. It looked kind of bizarre.

They're Sony HDC-1500's----yes, portable cams. They make a special housing that the camera gets put into, so it can be used with large viewfinders and studio lenses.

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:11 AM »
Sorry to bump this thread but its on topic so I dont see any harm.

http://www.a.engadgethd.com/2007/05/16/hdtv-listings-for-may-16-2007/

Lists last nights special as being in HD anyone with a HD set and tuner can confirm if it was HD or not?

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 11:02:11 AM »

Patchy wrote:
Lists last nights special as being in HD anyone with a HD set and tuner can confirm if it was HD or not?

I can't confirm last night's show, but it appears that tonight's show will not be in HD.  Therefore, I doubt last night's show was in HD, either.

Offline kesqchris

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:53 AM »
It most certainly was, much to my surprise. Instead of being an upconverted analog signal like the daytime version and previous spectaculars, last night's special was shown in glorious HD. The program was not in the widescreen 16x9 ratio, but no matter, as the show looked damn good without a trace of old, worn-out props. I thought for sure you'd see a blemish on Cliff Hangers, but Hans has never looked so good. Of course, technically speaking, TPIR has already been shown in HD before if you count the Game $how Marathon version.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »

kesqchris wrote:
The program was not in the widescreen 16x9 ratio, but no matter, as the show looked damn good without a trace of old, worn-out props.

You're saying it was shown in high definition but not in 16:9?  That doesn't make any sense at all.

Offline trapperm

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 03:06:29 PM »
Actually I have to agree with it not being in 16:9.  I have HD and several HD programs are not presented in that setting.  Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for instance are not, at least for me through DirecTV.  Also, ESPN's HD broadcasts are often not that setting.  Its rare, but not unheard of.
trapperm does not endorse change for changes sake

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 03:15:19 PM »

Trapper Mitchell wrote:
Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy for instance are not, at least for me through DirecTV.

Those shows are produced in 16:9.  That's why Jeopardy! redid parts of their set in the changeover... to accommodate the new aspect ratio.

Offline trapperm

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 04:53:18 PM »
thats what i had heard, but regardless, thats how they are presented for some reason.
trapperm does not endorse change for changes sake

Offline Patchy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 05:09:55 PM »
Then you are NOT watching in HD, all new shows and sports broadcast in HD are 16:9 native.

Only archive material originally shot on 35mm film stock but in a 4:3 frame will be HD.

Just because its on an HD station does not mean its HD, it could simply be up converted from SD.

Probably your HD station does not have the means to actually record and broadcast syndicated HD content, yet still appears on their DTT broadcast.

Its even worst of a situation here in the UK as most shows shot on tape or Super 16 are mostly native 16:9 since the UK adopted 16:9 but in SD 10 years ago, then these shows shown on HD simulcast stations up converted to 108i and people have trouble telling the difference, when its clearly visible.

Offline kesqchris

• Outside in Line
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »
I must retract my earlier assertion with humiliation. I reviewed my DVR recording of last night's special from the CBS HD feed, and it actually was an SD upconvert. I must've gotten so used to watching the regular SD feed that I wasn't used to how good the upconvert looks like in comparison (and I probably need to get my eyes checked while I'm at it). I was also under the false impression that the program was recorded in native HD 16:9 with the sides masked to produce a 4:3 image. Ring the losing horns on this discussion, and I will take myself to the torture chamber where Mario Lopez's version of Masters of the Maze is constantly running.

Offline ewalker3

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 12:32:41 AM »
when analog broadcasts end - that doesnt mean everything will be in HD, they are only required to broadcast a digital signal..

the price cameras are HD, but they are still connected to the existing grass valley switcher that wasn't high def capable.

now with bob retiring, perhaps they will revisit this idea.
that clip of barker doing the top 10 list for leterman, looked really good. I need to ask them how they did that part, it was widescreen etc andit looked superb on my plasma screen (leterman's set is outstanding onit).. a

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »

kesqchris wrote:
I must retract my earlier assertion with humiliation. I reviewed my DVR recording of last night's special from the CBS HD feed, and it actually was an SD upconvert.

No worries.  I know plenty of lay viewers who have trouble telling the difference if they have access to a quality SD signal.

I once worked at a TV station that was preparing to make its transition to digital transmission.  They called a station meeting and brought in a plasma screen to show us how much better things were going to look.  I saw the difference, but a handful of non-technical people didn't, and were very verbal in their insistence that HD was a waste of money.  After some polite back-and-forth, our station manager finally got red-faced, insisting that HD was better, by God.  It was pretty funny, actually.