Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 3/27/2014  (Read 13275 times)

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
Re: TPiR Recap - 3/27/2014
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
It's more likely that what you saw was the same product, but a different size bottle.

I've seen the same brand at over $10.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
It's more likely that what you saw was the same product, but a different size bottle.

I don't believe you understand what he said. You could have seen Act Mouthwash for over $10 but it was a bigger bottle (in ounces).
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »

I don't believe you understand what he said. You could have seen Act Mouthwash for over $10 but it was a bigger bottle (in ounces).

If what was shown was a 16 or 18 oz size, then $4.99 is a correct price (I think it might be $5.49 around here, but close enough).  They do make a larger (33ish) oz which would obviously be more.

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 01:09:58 PM »

It was the same size bottle with the same brand that costs $10.

Offline MannyCav

• Walking the Golden Road
  • My forum signature vanished. PM if you have info.
    • Buy Video Games for Consoles and PC - From Japan, Korea and other Regions>—This is my Play-Asia affiliate link for video game shopping.
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
It was the same size bottle with the same brand that costs $10.
As others have said, in all probability, there was some difference in the variety of the ACT brand of mouthwash or the size, but if you are absolutely 100% certain that you've seen that exact same bottle, exact same brand, exact same variety, and exact same size of mouthwash in one of your local stores for twice the price presented on TPIR, then isn't it possible that the local store you're referring to put up a different price than the MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price) the company supplied to TPIR? I just watched the Grand Game playing again, and the mouthwash had a sponsored description, so I don't think the show would have used a local price. Different chains in different parts of the U.S. put up prices that vary considerably, so it's not totally out of the question that your local store is asking something different than the MSRP, but twice the MSRP at a $5 increase is quite a lot. In any case, the $4.99 price the show did use is consistent with what they've said for the same and similar bottles of mouthwash.
b]*This signature has been removed by an anonymous admin without sending me a full copy of the signature, pointing out what was in rules violation, or an explanation or message to me of any kind. Answers to this mystery would be appreciated. Feel free to PM me.*[/b]

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »
What the heck, I'll bite.

There are two sizes of that brand of mouthwash -- 18 fl oz. (used in this playing) and 33.8 fl. oz.

Roughly two years ago, the 18 fl. oz. bottle had a price of $4.39, so a price of $4.99 today is not unreasonable. And the same mouthwash has appeared two other times this season at the same current price.

(And as has been noted, these prices come directly from the ACT company.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
I saw the same size bottle as the show with the same brand at $10 across multiple stores.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
So much for my "rule" that "the first prize on Five Price Tags is always True"...

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2014, 05:34:35 PM »
I went to safeway and saw that same bottle for $10.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »

What exactly is your point? What do you want the forum to do? We're not affiliated with the show or standards and practices, but we can assure you that the price of $4.99 for that bottle on the show is accurate. There's no point in constantly saying how you saw it for $10. I can assure you that you are looking at a bigger bottle, or safeway is ripping you off.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »

Then Safeway has ridiculous markup, and you should shop somewhere else.

Wegmans sells the same bottle at $4.55. Walmart sells it for $4.12. Hannaford charges $4.79. Walgreens is $5.29.

The show's prices are the manufacturer's suggested retail prices, not necessarily grocery store prices. In any case, virtually every grocery store is going to charge less than the MSRP anyways, because of the nature of the grocery industry.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 02:21:44 AM »
The stores you mentioned all had the bottle for $10.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 03:08:52 AM »
Whity4. Cut. The. Crap.

At this point you are basically calling one of our moderators and a longtime board member who used to be a show staff member liars. They have offered proof that the said bottle of mouthwash is $4.99, or at least certainly not $10. I have personally Googled the price for this item and found it as low as $3.59 to as high as $5.99. You, however, have offered ZERO proof of the price you saw. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

You know about Standards and Practice, you know about deception,  and you know about out and out fraud. This show cannot be fraudulent about its prices. Pony up some proof of what you saw or CLAM UP!

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline whity4

• Outside in Line
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 03:59:37 AM »
Yeah we don't need to be telling moderators off.

-- Adam
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:41:26 AM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 06:47:50 AM »
No, you cut the crap @moderator.

Everyone here is right. I researched myself. It is not $10.
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United