Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/1/2014 (TPiR 2014 April Fools Special with Craig Ferguson)  (Read 23606 times)

Offline Mr. Weatherman

No, Shadoe is not going to replace George. (Despite how much many on here want that.)

And I never said he would. But the powers that be had to have liked what they heard today, regardless of whether anything becomes of this.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tjo4

• In the Audience
Part of me is not surprised by the negative reviews here on today's show. Despite wishes, the crew today will not be replacing Drew, George, and the models.

However, the everyone hit the nail on the head for an April Fools show. Craig did a great job and would be fine day to day on the show (even though, it will never happen). During Lucky 7, I almost mistook Craig for Rich Fields, who easily could have stood in (also, will certainly never happen).

Shadoe was good to hear. I thought it was peculiar how certain trademark Price items were omitted from his reads. I would have loved to have heard "It's a new car!" or "These can be yours if the price is right."

Overall, if the Rachel, Manuela, Amber, or Gwen would have been in place, this could have been a pretty standard show. Oh, and what the heck was Squeeze Play doing ruining a perfect show!?

Offline jessture

• In Contestant's Row
Shadoe.... Wow!  He had a similar "ooomph" (for lack of a better term) in his voice like Rod that no one has come close to. I would like to hear him announce TPIR again.

Craig was fun, there were several moments where as hyper as he was, he still explained everything sounding more polished than Drew sounds sometimes.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Long time since I've heard Shadoe do H2.     How didn't he get a shot to replace Rod Roddy after he passed?    Maybe he didn't want the job?

I loved the way Craig tossed to commercial after More or Less.     

You could tell he was happy/excited for the contestants to win a car.   He was over the top, but... it was his 1 shot to host the show.   I'd probably have been super hyper about that too.

Damn how close we were to a perfect show!

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Watched this show with a friend, and we agreed that Craig did pretty well. He kept the energy up, and did rather well nearly everywhere.

Yes, Craig was a bit repetitive at times, and he did not say anything about beating scores in the Showcase Showdown or what happens if the dollar was spun, but I can forgive the latter since it never came into play.

I believe this is the most announcing copy Shadoe has had to do since his last Hollywood Squares appearance in 2003, so I can forgive him for not quite being able to hit the marks he used to do flawlessly.

Altogether, this kind of switch is something I would not mind if it were done as an emergency situation, in the event that Craig or Drew cannot get to their respective tapings or George cannot get to his.

If Craig were allowed to do more Price shows, I think he could become quite good indeed.

But the powers that be had to have liked what they heard today, regardless of whether anything becomes of this.
Doubtful. If anything, CBS is regretting that they allowed the switch to happen and Richards is glad that the game show announcer with prior game show announcing experience is not coming back.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Was I the only one that caught the older gentleman in the crowd during one of the IUFBs wearing a light blue shirt with white letters that prominently said, "CRAIG," and some other text? Was this a random gift shop find, or did the crowd know something in advance?
Didn't Jessica's shirt also say "Craig"?  When I saw that, I assumed that at least some of the people in the audience knew that Craig would be hosting, or at least involved somehow.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
From what I saw, I was a little annoyed with Craig Ferguson. Yes, he did a good job, he explained the games well enough (very easy to understand a given game if you'd never had known how to play it before) and certainly any faults he had aren't the end of the world, but there was just something about it all -- perhaps he was too hyped up -- that just kind of annoyed me. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. And I know it was just one episode, but Secretariat was just ... well, goofy, IMO. Same with that robot friend of Craig's, when I'd rather have heard Shadoe.

Shadoe did a good job, as I expected. I really like that boom in his voice, and I'm sorry that right now Premiere Networks won't air his "American Top 40" shows as part of the 1980s package. Probably because the show is "Casey Kasem's American Top 40: The 80s," but that's a discussion for another time.

Otherwise, another run-of-the-mill show, IMO.

Offline The Last Outlaw

• In the Audience
I've been a fan of Shadoe Stevens since the Davidson Hollywood Squares.  I love the fact that his voice is still golden.  As for the games themselves, a 5 out of 6 day on Price is not bad especially when you can give away two cars... one of them playing More or Less.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Didn't Jessica's shirt also say "Craig"?  When I saw that, I assumed that at least some of the people in the audience knew that Craig would be hosting, or at least involved somehow.

Yep, on-camera-audiences (the site to get tickets online) posted before the day of the taping that it would be hosted by Craig, so most of the people would have known before attending.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline steven.jordan.332

• In Contestant's Row
  • first time player
I just went all the way through the program, and had a little more time on my hands in order to do so. My thoughts on today was this was well put together from start to end.

Craig did really well as a host because he's about to host a project himself, Geoff did well, Secretariat did well for a horse on all aspects of game play.

The 6 pricing games were well selected for Craig, 5 out of 6 is a pretty good day, Squeeze Play being won would have did the achievement thats hard to pull, The perfect show with all 6 games as wins.

Both showcases were very entertaining, Craig did well acting as a presenter on his own (I recall for episode 1,000  Drew acted as his own presenter with George announcing, I will move on to Shadoe Stevens in a little bit)

Geoff did wonderfully for a Robot presenting and announcing and modeling his own showcase, Both were well put together and presented. Secretariat did well modeling for the show also.

Shadoe Stevens I have not formally heard of in the gameshow world, But he did wonderfully, shaky at times, But very wonderfully.

He had a very deep booming presense, It reminded me a lot of Rod Roddy, I noticed it from his outfit he was dressed up like him, as well as many of you.

Shadoe projects his voice very well, He could make a great stage presence with more practice. He learned from George as i could tell, Geoff watched George enough as well to do such a good job.

Overall, Today was good. Very well coordinated prank CBS.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
L7: I was pretty apprehensive for Sandra because I thought she would lose...........But she played it well (even though it was a easy setup)!
I agree; I thought that setup was particularly easy.

I also agree with those who thought Craig was a bit too hyper, but he did a good job explaining and hosting the games. Him pulling the one-bid price cards from his inside jacket pocket brought back memories of Bob, but I don't think Bob ever presented a showcase as Craig did today (during his 35-year tenure as host - please correct me if I'm wrong).  That didn't feel weird, just different.

With no official "models" on the show today and the host nowhere nearby, Paola could only celebrate her truck with the horse, whom she hugged more than once. :)

It had been years since I'd seen Shadoe Stevens before today. He still has that great voice, but he looked quite different than he did the last time I saw him.

Glad Craig did the spay and neuter plug. :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:50:28 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Sure Craig was a bit crazy, but he did a fine job.  He handled the overbid like a professional.  My biggest complaint was how he read the individual digits in a price instead of just the number.  He also seemed to have some difficulty hearing those in Contestants Row.

I would be curious how long this episode took to tape and how many reshots they needed to do.

All you Shadoe lovers, he's 66.  It seems unrealistic that he would pick up an on-air announcer position at his age, but I appreciated the effort he put in for this episode.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
The 7,999th episode (127th for Season 42)

Showcase #1
  • Jimmy Choo:  $2,895
  • Home Gym:  $5,279
  • Scion xB:  $17,725
My bid:  $23,390 (Difference of $2,509)

Showcase #2
  • Facebook:  $1,330
  • Language Courses:  $180
  • Trip to Maui:  $6,998
  • Toyota Yaris:  $18,219
My bid:  $26,500 (Difference of $227! :dsw:)

Modeling Totals:  April 1, 2014
Highs and lows among shows for the OSAD in previous years
High:  $112,991 (4/1/2008)
Low:  $0 (4/1/2010 & 4/1/2013), $10,613 (4/1/2004)

Geoff Peterson
Total:  12/$55,525.00 (9/$39,767.00, 3/$15,758.00)
Cars:  1/$16,355.00 (1/$16,355.00, 0/$0.00)
Trips:  2/$9,973.00 (2/$9,973.00, 0/$0.00)
Cash Prizes:  0/$0.00 (0/$0.00, 0/$0.00)

Secreteriat
Total:  9/$91,179.00 (8/$73,454.00, 1/$17,725.00)
Cars:  3/$55,719.00 (2/$37,994.00, 1/$17,725.00)
Trips:  1/$21,637.00 (1/$21,637.00, 0/$0.00)

All Prizes
Total:  23/$143,103.00 (19/$109,620.00, 4/$33,483.00)
Cars:  4/$72,074.00 (3/$54,349.00, 1/$17,725.00)
Trips:  3/$31,610.00 (3/$31,610.00, 0/$0.00)

Season to date
All Prizes (124 shows)
Total:  3,261/$20,340,511.81 (1,982/$8,126,941.44, 1,279/$12,213,570.37)
Cars:  392/$8,537,308.00 (139/$2,916,591.00, 253/$5,620,717.00)
Trips:  431/$3,527,677.00 (238/$1,949,959.00, 193/$1,577,718.00)
Cash Prizes:  120/$3,523,376.00 (22/$506,959.00, 98/$3,016,417.00)

Career to date
My viewing to date (2,479 shows)
Total:  64,653/$355,642,365.76 (40,186/$153,947,093.44, 24,467/$201,695,272.32)
Cars:  7,049/$152,103,986.00 (2,718/$57,233,267.00, 4,331/$94,870,719.00)
Trips:  5,365/$38,048,780.00 (2,773/$19,593,912.00, 2,592/$18,454,868.00)
Cash Prizes:  1,871/$41,291,191.00 (369/$6,693,149.00, 1,502/$34,598,042.00)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Do the Math: Nice win of some nice prizes. Glad to see that 60 inch TV won. Some really obviously low bids in the contestants row part. :roll:

Lucky 7: Great to see the Mazda won. Today's contestant played the game exceptionally well.

Hi-LO: Nice to trip to Vegas won on a playing that goes straight into the Easy Win Hall of Fame.

Freeze Frame: When Craig reacted to the price at the end of the contestant's row portion the way he did I thought it was because the Napoleon firepit was a lot more expensive than he expected. Turned out to be because the contestants at the blue and green podiums were just barely over. The Freeze Frame game itself produced a good win.

More or Less: Great to see the Toyota Tacoma won and the other prizes were quite nice too especially the washer/dryer.

Squeeze Play: DAMN!: There goes the perfect show. Squeeze Play is a good candidate to ruin perfect shows because it's 1 of the most random games in the rotation.

Showcases: Both showcase had autos in them so it was going to be good as long as we didn't get a double overbid. The contestant who won the Toyota Yaris showcase was the only contestant to lose a pricing game so every contestant on stage made out well in the end today.

Overall: :) 5 for 6 with a car showcase won! Great show! The names for the games in the recap here are a cool touch to the recap :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Serious question: How did the One Bid contestants know when they won?  Because Craig hardly ever called them out.