Author Topic: CBS REALLY needs to update their ads  (Read 2240 times)

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
CBS REALLY needs to update their ads
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:55:38 AM »
I don't know about you, but when I get to be 60 or above, I don't want commercials reminding me that I need to take 60 medications or I might just die....It also really cuts the mood.  Some lady wins a great CAR! then Henry Winkler comes on and brings the mood to a halt.

I just saw one spot that even offered you 'a free calculator!"    Remember, those things that went out with typewriters, when computers came into play?

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: CBS REALLY needs to update their ads
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Not sure if joking or not, but they've run those ads all along, part of their demographic.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 12:46:17 PM »
I don't get how the atmosphere of the show is constantly trying to aim at a younger audience, and then the ads are aiming at senior citizens.

Kind of ruins the purpose of a television show if you can't sell stuff to whoever is watching it.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
I don't get how the atmosphere of the show is constantly trying to aim at a younger audience, and then the ads are aiming at senior citizens.

Kind of ruins the purpose of a television show if you can't sell stuff to whoever is watching it.

Trying to get teens/early 20s to come to the studio is totally different than trying to sell stuff to them. Most of the people who get into the studio don't watch more than a handful of episodes.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
^ And those teens and early 20-somethings probably have school and/or jobs so yeah, they can only watch a certain amount of episodes. Then again, teenagers do have Summer vacation, so I think the ads could update a little, both for the senior citizens and the younger audience.

Offline Shredder

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:23:12 PM »
Not sure if joking or not, but they've run those ads all along, part of their demographic.

nope, not joking.. and I didn't appreciate these ads back in highschool either.

There was one that I found un intentionally funny today.  Some ad about a drug that comes in a pen.  all these people over 40 and one kid comes on saying "I really love my medication pen!"   Almost like he was talking about his favorite video game ;o).

Offline William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
Trying to get teens/early 20s to come to the studio is totally different than trying to sell stuff to them. Most of the people who get into the studio don't watch more than a handful of episodes.

Getting them to come to the studio and getting them to watch the show are two different things; and while I was referring to the latter, the producers are are trying to do both more than ever.

^ And those teens and early 20-somethings probably have school and/or jobs so yeah, they can only watch a certain amount of episodes.

I'm 21 and have both of those things on my hands. I am able to watch the show every day, but generally only catch about 2 to 3 episodes a week. Still, I think that qualifies as a regular basis.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just putting that out there.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
CBS can't just snap their fingers and "update" their ads.  They are selling ads to sponsors.  I assure you they would love to get more "young" ads into the mix, but if those companies aren't buying, what are they supposed to do?  Not sell ads to willing buyers?