Author Topic: December 26th, 1979  (Read 2089 times)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
December 26th, 1979
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:04:56 PM »
Here's an interesting one. Apparently one contestant (Nancy) who was on the show got a hold of the tape and generously uploaded it to YouTube citing it was from February 1980, yet from what records I have looked up it seems to match December 26, 1979. Never aired on GSN due to it having a fur in it, so it should be neat to get to see it.

Enjoy!
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: December 26th, 1979
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
According to the FAQ, this was supposed to air on either 12/26/79 or 1/30/80, but ended up airing on 2/4/80.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: December 26th, 1979 (or is it 1/30/80? #3533D)
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »
Lineup: Danger Price, Range Game, Hole In One, Double Prices, Bonus Game, Temptation. The original commercials are also present, which is always an appreciated bonus. :-)

Danger Price uses the square formation for its price podiums, moving that change up from late April 1980.

Did Bob know a refrigerator was going to be offered as a One-Bid prize? Hm.

And there is the uploader! :-D "What's the most exciting thing so far?" "Getting married!" "I know the feeling!" Bob was clearly far happier while Dorothy Jo was in his life, which may be why I enjoy this period so much. :-)

"The Feud" remains a very good car cue, even when Goodson-Todman was using it on another show.

I shall avoid the overplayed joke regarding the Hole In One car price...and hello, $500 flower. :lol:

The grocery cue during Hole In One...how is that outdated? Also, rather painful to trip up at the last hurdle of the grocery lineup due to a difference of 10 cents.

I do not recall the audience ever booing Bob for failing to make the Inspiration Putt.

"People who aren't into Chex cereals...have never tried Chex cereals." Wow, what a short-sighted and imbecilic thing to say, commercial narrator.

I feel as if something was cut out right before the first Showcase Showdown, possibly a ticket plug.

I MUST DIG! ...And what a lackluster little pink graphic.

...A KFC advert consisting solely of African-Americans, minus Colonel Sanders himself. I admit to feeling slightly disturbed by that, given the stereotypes that had permeated society by 1980.

The Double Prices podium does not have a question mark in the center, which was present following the 1975 set overhaul. Wonder when that changed...

After the fourth game, we finally get a network promo, more specifically for the primetime lineup "tonight": WKRP In Cincinnati, Last Resort, M*A*S*H, and House Calls. The M*A*S*H episode in particular pins this as indeed having aired February 4, 1980.

I do not wish to hear about tampons, thank you.

And during the same commercial break, we get a Steve Edwards Show promo and a local station identification: KNXT, the CBS affiliate in Los Angeles (now KCBS).

The interaction between Bob and Carl before the eighth calldown was quite fun. :-)

Always fun to see Bonus Game play out like that.

...The ever-famous Coca-Cola commercial with Mean Joe Green?!

A Temptation gift worth $42? Also, "I said I'm gonna use those knives on the audience!"? ...Oh, dear.

An advert for Diet 7-Up with Don Rickles. Do I truly need to say more?

More network promos following the second Showcase Showdown, this time for The Young & The Restless (now at an hour) and a CBS Reports on teenage sexual intercourse this Wednesday.

Showcase #2 is an amusing little skit: "Little Dian and her Fairy Godmother", in which Johnny O is...asleep at his podium? While telling the story? ...Did Jay Wolpert write this before he left in '78?

One can tell that Dian is flaunting her body after getting out of the second prize...not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you.

We have gotten all this far, perhaps this episode has no fur coat after all-oh, there it is as the next-to-last prize of the show. Well, on it goes to the banned list...

...Neither Showcase has a vehicle, and only a single trip between them? What a concept!

And Holly, still in her fairy godmother dress, takes a tumble during the credits. Twice! :lol:

We end with a network promo for the Wednesday Night Movie The Boy Who Drank Too Much, starring Scott Baio, during which the tape cuts out. The last five minutes are simply a blue screen.

Overall...a very good episode! A considerable shame the fur coat, as this would have been a worthy addition to any classic Price collection had it aired on GSN (and indeed, it still is if you know how to download the videos, although I suggest removing all but the first second of blue screen at the end).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:33:36 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: December 26th, 1979
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »
The Double Prices podium does not have a question mark in the center, which was present following the 1975 set overhaul. Wonder when that changed...

Good question, from what little research I have done, I would say it was part of the set change during 1977 as per the FAQ and the fact that it has the identical set here.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz