Author Topic: 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs  (Read 14266 times)

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs
« on: April 09, 2014, 10:49:53 PM »
The time is near for the Stanley Cup playoffs and here's what the board looks like now:

East:

1. Boston Bruins (Clinched East)
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Montreal Canadiens
4. Tampa Bay Lightening
5. New York Rangers
6. Philadelphia Flyers
7. Detroit Red Wings

West:
1. St. Louis Blues
2. Anaheim Ducks
3. Colorado Avalanche
4. San Jose Sharks
5. Chicago Blackhawks
6. Los Angeles Kings
7. Minnesota Wild

The 8th seeds are very close in both conferences so this should be exciting.

Who are you rooting for this year?

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
Let's go Bruins. :-)
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 11:28:20 PM »
Actually, the playoffs are not a 1-8 rank anymore. It's based on divisions. It's top three in each division then two wild cards. And the playoffs are a fixed bracket. No more re-seeding art reach round. So right now, the playoff matchups are as such...

EAST
Boston vs. Detroit
Montreal vs. Tampa Bay (locked in)
Pittsburgh vs. Columbus
New York Rangers vs. Philadelphia

WEST
St. Louis vs. Dallas
Colorado vs. Chicago
Anaheim vs. Minnesota
San Jose vs. Los Angeles
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
It's a shame that the Washington Capitals aren't making it this year after six consecutive appearances and Ovechkin scoring 50+ goals this season, being mathematically eliminated last night. I've never been to an NHL game in person and I wished for tickets to a Caps game for Christmas and was disappointed that there weren't any in my stocking, but after what happened, I'm glad I didn't go to see a team that ended up not making the playoffs. I'll root for the St. Louis blues this year since they never made the Stanley Cup, are part of the first wave of the NHL's expansion, and I also love the klaxon used for a goal there.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
I predict a Ducks/Penguins Stanley Cup finals with the Pens winning it all.

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Go Ducks!!!
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »
I don't follow hockey very much only watching some playoffs and always watching the Stanley Cup Finals. Does someone who's more in tune with the NHL know why the reseeding concept was dropped? I thought it was a good system because it made the low seeds earn everything they got. When the Kings won the Stanley Cup as an 8 seed in 2012 they had to face the highest remaining west seed every round of the Western Conference playoffs. I thought it made sense.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:24:53 PM by moneygamelover »
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
The change came with the realigning of divisions this season. To refresh, the realigning was done because of the Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg to become the Jets and it was odd having a Canadian team in the Southeast division. The changes also tried to lessen travel for some of these teams, which is why Detroit and Columbus moved to the East and Winnipeg is now in the West.

The playoffs do the same thing, lessen travel, as they are now division-based. This lessens the chance of a team travel very far for an opening playoff game. Remember, too, that these were changes agreed upon by both the NHL and the NHLPA. It should also make the playoffs even more exciting, since there will be more divisional rivalries throughout, for example, the Rangers and Flyers look set to meet in the first round.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 03:59:52 PM »
Well, the Blackhawks are kind of screwed however you look at it, being in the Western Conference despite being, what, eight miles from the Eastern time zone?  :-P
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »
Dallas punched their ticket to the Playoffs today and thus all the teams are set.
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:25:42 PM »
Let's go Red Wings!  23 straight playoff appearances! The last the Red Wings missed the playoffs in 1990, Bill Cullen was still alive and I wasn't even in kindergarten yet.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »
A playoff streak isn't as impressive in hockey or basketball, where over half the teams make it. You can get in with a losing record, which is just wrong to me. True, that also happened in the NFL a few years back (Seattle), but that was so rare. That is one rule I would change in any playoff system- you must be over .500 to qualify. Forget the points thing.

CFL is probably the worst. 8 or 9 teams in the league, and six are in!

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
What are your first round winners advancing to round 2?

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 08:00:13 PM »
Fancy epic post to come later, if at all. I've done my fair share of them lately, so yeah, I just want to enjoy the games. Being around 90 minutes from Boston these days means I can actually head up and out to Boston for a few of the games, if I so please.

Boston over Detroit in 6. Boston really needs no descriptor, basically do everything right. In an otherwise meh conference, Boston should eventually get the Prince of Wales Trophy easily.

Tampa Bay over Montreal in 6. Neither is as good as they look, but Montreal is rather overrated in so many ways. Tampa isn't great either, middle of the pack team, among all 30, but you only have to be better than your opponent.

Pittsburgh over Columbus in 5. Unless Bob gets hot, meh. Snore-fest for the non-Pittsburgh fan.

New York over Philadelphia in 5. Rangers are very underrated. They win this, and assuming Pens beat the Jackets, I'm calling them to upset Crosby, right here, right now.

Dallas over Anaheim in 7--my research says this is likely a huge upset. Anaheim is much worse than paper says, seems like the easy betting money upset pick this year.

Los Angeles over San Jose in 7. My god, watch this series, it'll be amazing. Could go either way, and it's likely the best pure hockey matchup this round.

Colorado over Minnesota in 7. This wouldn't shock me if the Wild won either, but it will be close. Colorado is also overrated, with what Varlamov did stealing games. Avalanche are just enough better (see Tampa and Montreal), but if either survives the 2nd round, I'd be stunned.

Chicago over St. Louis in 6. Least interesting, but still really fun, of the West teams. Chicago is just that good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 08:06:13 PM by Prizes »
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2014, 07:14:30 PM »
Here are my first round & Stanley Cup Final predictions:

Detroit over Boston in 7
Pittsburgh over Columbus in 6
Montreal over Tampa Bay in 7
NY Rangers over Philadelphia in 6