Author Topic: Game show suggestions for a four year old  (Read 741 times)

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
Game show suggestions for a four year old
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:31 AM »
So my son likes watching price is right, old episodes of beat the clock and wipeout (the obstacle course show, not the peter tomarken show that I used to love..)

Anyways, any suggestions on shows he might like from anything let's say from the early 80s till now? I tried double dare but he didn't get into it yet. Might try fun house..

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: Game show suggestions for a four year old
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »
Wheel of Fortune, perhaps? I doubt your son would be interested in the shopping segments (although you could of course try), so I would recommend nighttime episodes from 1987-94 (Seasons 5-11) and daytime episodes from July 1989 onward.

He may also like Joker! Joker! Joker! (the child-only spinoff of The Joker's Wild), although I would recommend avoiding any episodes taped from the GSN Kids' Zone block (as it would interrupt the show to make rather bad "jokes").

The 1969-74 Beat the Clock may be good, but I would recommend skipping the intros of the Gene Wood era as the inverted colors and close-ups of faces may scare or disturb him. The 1979-80 revival may also be good.

Talking with someone on the subject, I was given the recommendation of Minute To Win It. I somewhat agree...if you remove the padding and irrelevancies.

I tried double dare but he didn't get into it yet.
If I may make a recommendation, avoid the early episodes and the Nick Family era, as the former had not hit its stride yet and the latter made certain stunts too hard. I also suggest avoiding the Celebrity Double Dare pilot from 1987 (far, far too dull and tedious) and Double Dare 2000 (essentially the same reason).

Might try fun house..
You may also want to try Finders Keepers, another similar show. I would recommend avoiding shows like Slime Time and Treasure Mall, however.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:05:18 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:00:36 AM »
I appreciate the suggestions. He does like wheel of fortune when he's at his grandparents.

It's funny you mention treasure mall and slime time... Two shows I remember watching and liking as a kid but always forget about.. Looking up info, I can see why, they had very short air life..

Offline crinos43

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
Try Press Your Luck. Bright lights, the Whammy...
I support The Price is Right.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:03:22 PM »
Well, back in the day, Nickelodeon had a slew of game shows (Double Dare, Nick Arcade, Finders Keepers, Wild And Crazy Kids, Figure It Out, GUTS, Legends Of The Hidden Temple). I agree with Press Your Luck and the Whammies do add a cartoon-like feel to the show.