Author Topic: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Let's move on to the second half of the Wink Bracket!

The first match-up features...

#2 Family Feud

And...

#15 Beat the Geeks

And the second match-up pits these shows:

#7 Greed

Against...

#10 Nickelodeon GUTS

Voting ends Wednesday.

Beat the Geeks
Greed
Nick GUTS

Online Alfonzo

• Director
Re: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
Well, Family Feud is a timeless classic that can survive any host...even Louie Anderson. I like Beat the Geeks, especially the second format with Blaine Capatch, but it can't beat Feud.

Survey said...?!

Family Feud: 11, Beat the Geeks: 0 (Sorry geeks, but you guys are against a juggernaut.)

Whoa. Two shows I think are overrated. Guess I'll pick the one I like most of the two.

GUTS: 7, Greed: 4
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:37:24 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 02:07:56 PM »
Wow, Alfonzo said pretty much exactly what I was going to say and my thoughts as well.

Well, Family Feud is a timeless classic that can survive any host.

Agreed. It's always been there and survived numerous host changes.

Feud 8-3 over Clock

Whoa. Two shows I think are overrated. Guess I'll pick the one I like most of the two.

Agreed again! I think both are way overrated - along with other shows from the 90s thanks to nostalgia.

I'll go Greed 6-5 over GUTS.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
I like Beat the Clock, but it just seemed to get weaker and weaker with the passage of time (Gary Kroger's version anyone?)

Feud 8-3 over Clock

Umm that says Beat the Geeks, not Clock.

Anyway, 11-0 on Feud and 7-4 on GUTS.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:13:52 PM by GSB92 »

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
Ooops! Fixed!

EDIT: Had to up Feud's score. Geeks was OK, but certainly no Family Feud.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:38:34 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
Ah, my mistake. Well I thought Clock was a much better show than Geeks - which was a pretty mediocre show that I couldn't care much at all about.

In that case, 11-0 Feud.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Geeks wasn't bad, but you can't beat Feud, even with Louie Anderson and Steve Harvey.

Feud 9-2.

Greed and Guts were not very good overall, but I love Woolery and the terminator (evil, I know)

Greed 7-4

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:10:53 PM »
First one's easy. 9-2 on Feud, would have been higher if not for the direction the current show took.
Second one is difficult. I have fonder memories of Guts but in a world full of Millionaire clones, Greed at least wasn't a ripoff. The edge goes to Guts 6-5.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 03:20:54 PM »
As much as I love Beat The Geeks and Paul Goebel (TV Geek), it's still a far cry from Feud. Feud has some great hosts (Louie Anderson does not apply, though  :P) and those awkward guesses, like "Naked Grandma!" are hilarious.

Family Feud 9-2

I think Greed is too "flash-in-the-pan" for me.........I watch a few episodes here and there, but it wasn't too entertaining, to say the least......Even with Chuck Woolery as host. GUTS, however, I do like more than Greed. Mike O'Malley was a good host and I had a mad crush on Moira Quirk. The best parts about the show are The Aggro Crag and theme song (D-D-D-Do you have it? GUTS!!)

Nickelodeon GUTS 10-1

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
No contest. Family Feud 11-0

Again, no contest. Greed 10-1

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
First matchup:
-Family Feud was a solid show until 1999, when it wavered between good and bad depending on the emcee and format being used. Bullseye '09 was an ill-thought-out revisit, and the trend for the past few years to attempt going for the gutter has worked by sacrificing quality for the lowest common denominator.
-By comparison, Beat the Geeks was a rather fun "niche" show in a similar vein to the very obscure 1958 Brains and Brawn, in that we saw just how well the titular Geeks truly knew their field of expertise. (That, and it was amusing in those rare instances where all four Geeks lost their medals. :-D)

As such, 7-4 in favor of Goodson-Todman.

Second matchup:
-While Greed did have a very good format and naught-but-solid emcee, it tended to rely on obscure research results for the higher-value questions and immense amounts of stalling.
-On the other hand, GUTS was quite a good show and I believe Ryan Rinkerman said it best in that Global GUTS was like the Olympics, only far more enjoyable to watch. The format fell down somewhat for the inanely-titled My Family's Got GUTS, but remained somewhat enjoyable.

As such, in a difficult choice, I shall say 6-5 in favor of Nickelodeon.

"Naked Grandma!"
I believe the phonetic spelling is "NEKKID GRAMMAW!" :-P Such answers as that and "Pot-tato" exemplified that for his first season as host, Family Feud got its laughs from the bad answers and Steve reacting to them. Steve is, essentially, to the American version what Les Dennis was to the British Family Fortunes.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2014, 09:22:14 PM »

"Family Feud" keeps its original #2 seed.  It beat "Finders Keepers" in the first round, "Fun House" in the second round, and "Concentration" in the Sweet 16.  "Match Game" beat its spin-off in the Elite 8.

"Beat the Geeks" was not nominated in 2008.

"Beat the Geeks" was a fun and interesting show, but it was essentially a rip-off of "Win Ben Stein's Money".  Instead of trying to beat the expert of everything (Ben), you had to try to beat an expert of just one field.  Then again, if you're going to rip off a game show, it always helps to rip off a good game show.  "Beat the Geeks" succeeded on that front.  My real complaint is when they replaced the mediocre host J. Keith with the downright wooden host Blaine.

But it's no match for "Family Feud" either way.  A solid format that has been proven for almost 40 years.

Feud, 9-2.

"Greed" was a #12 seed in 2008, so a real improvement.  It lost in the first round to "$ale of the Century".

As mentioned before, "GUTS" was the play-in winner in 2008 and lost to overall #1 seed "Jeopardy!" in the first round.

Interesting that we're dealing with both "Beat the Geeks" and "Greed" tonight because two of the "geeks" were actually contestants on "Greed" (TV geek Paul Goebel and music geek Andy Zax).  As far as the actual gameplay of "Greed" is concerned, I loved the format and I loved the twist of the Terminator.  The major flaw was that the show relied too much on suspense.  With all of the time that Chuck and the director spent on dragging out the game, they could have had more contestants and asked more questions.  Not even WWTBAM has been that bad on stretching.

"GUTS" was fun and exciting when it was on, but I don't have as many lasting memories of it now as I do with "Greed".  I fondly remembered Mike, Moira, and the Aggro-crag, but that was about it.  It just didn't stick with me like it stuck with most of you.

Greed, 7-4.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Greed vs GUTS: Greed was definitely the best of the Millionaire spawns in the early 2000s.  Great format that allowed a lot of drama, and Chuck did a great job hosting.  It definitely deserved a longer run than it had.  I liked Guts as a kid, and Mike and Moira made a good duo, but Greed has to win here.  Greed wins 8-3.

Family Feud vs Beat the Geeks: Family Feud is of course an all-time classic.  Hosts have been mixed, and things have steered more towards laugh and being risque than gameplay recently, but Steve Harvey has brought the show back in a big way.  I enjoyed watching Beat the Geeks when it was on.  The geeks were funny and had good interaction with the hosts and contestants, and the format was alright, but it can't beat a classic.  Family Feud wins 9-2.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
Fun fact, original intended host for Beat the Geeks...Henry Rollins. An HR BTG could have outright taken care of 13 years of meh TV. However, when it faces what could be one of the most successful spin-offs of all time... FF 8, BTG 3
In a rare moment, I had to go to the You Tube for my GUTS episode. While GUTS is a good little show, it goes against an above average show that was only hindered by slow directing and debuting at the wrong time. Greed 8, GUTS 3

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
Family Feud: 11-0

Now for the upset: Nickelodeon GUTS: 11-0
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United