Author Topic: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2  (Read 11356 times)

Offline jwatson2973

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »
Okay. I'm now ready to give my choices.

I've watched the YouTube video of a Break the Bank episode & thought it looked interesting. However, I've seen Marc Summers' version of Double Dare a lot. Therefore, I give it to D.D. 10-1

As for the match up between Concentration & Alex Trebek's version of Double Dare, I will give this one to Concentration 10-1 as well.

Online JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 11:01:09 PM »
Concentration vs Double Dare (Trebek): I know Concentration is a classic, but from what I've seen of the Trebek version of Double Dare I always thought it was a great show.  I like it enough to give it the upset.  Double Dare wins 6-5.

Break the Bank vs Double Dare (Summers): I grew up with Marc Summers' Double Dare and I love it to this day.  It's my choice, no brainer.  Double Dare wins 9-2.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 11:05:31 PM »
DD 80s is a touchstone of memories for this board, but, I factor in all versions. BtB, was an above average rip off with good hosting and a theme song that could have been subbed in for MG/HS 's theme for pure grandeur. Let's make it interesting. BtB 7 DD 80s 4

Bill Cosby Sweater Trebek vs Bow Chicka Bow Bow Trebek. A simple concept that is LONG overdue to be back on air. With NBC's game sensibilities and Fre... mmmm, er... DD 70s is so stinking cool. Spoilers, sound proof booth, unique formats, Penny Ante's "Ba la la loop" and... BOOMERANG! 70s DD 7, NBC's property 4

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 12:47:01 AM »
After watching all the random episodes, I've come to a conclusion:

While Double Dare (Trebek), Concentration, and Break The Beat may be before my time, I thought they were both pretty cool. And Double Dare (Summers) on Nickelodeon.......Ah, memories! Ironically, even though the two Double Dare game shows are not related, Edd Kalehoff did provide the themes for them (However, the theme from the Trebek version was also used for Card Sharks later on).

With that said.........

Double Dare (Trebek) 6-5
Double Dare (Summers) 9-2

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
Well I have seen a couple if not a few episodes of Break The Bank (1976) through the Page-O-Clips website I believe that's what it was called there. And now this one through YouTube. However since I was born in the 80s I have to give it to the Summers version of Double Dare. 8-3.

As for the second match up after seeing Trebek's version of Double Dare it's not bad either. Yet whether the decade of the 60s or 80s familiarity wins here at least for me. So with that Concentration. 7-4.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 01:07:59 PM »
Oh and one more thing concerning Break The Bank. I believe I saw an episode or two in which Tom Kennedy was hosting.

Offline dontcallmetony

• Outside in Line
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »
In the first match, I think I have to go for the upset.  While Concentration is a great game show, with its fast pace and intellect with the rebus puzzles, and a great host (at least in the clip posted here), I feel I have to give it to Double Dare (Trebek).  For being the first time I had seen an episode of it, and initially getting thrown off by the Card Sharks theme and Gene Wood introducing Alex Trebek, I think the premise is alright, the set is fantastic, and I do love the choice for the endgame with the Spoilers concept.  It's not a huge upset, but that's how I felt after watching both clips.  Double Dare (Trebek) 6-5

Onto the second match.  I can understand why Break the Bank '76 was held back; it does feel very derivative of Squares.  The match-three-same-tiles-and-win is interesting for a little while, but I couldn't shake the feeling that there just wasn't that much going for it.  Double Dare (Summers) is, again, a show I remembered from my youth (although, I only seem to recall the family version of it, not the all-kids version linked here).  It does lose something looking at it as a 29-year-old, but the set is distinctive, the prizes were pretty good for a kid's show, and Marc Summers hosts it pitch-perfectly.  I'm not as big a fan of it as I once was, but there's still more than enough to break BtB's bank.  Double Dare (Summers) 9-2

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 10:07:54 PM »
My thoughts:

DD (Summers) vs. Break the Bank:

I'm not sure if DD deserves all the respect it's gotten here, but it probably is the best kids' show of all time.  Break the Bank seems way too much like Hollywood Squares and drawn out a little too much.  So I'm giving this one to DD.

Double Dare, 10-1.

Concentration vs. DD (Trebek):

I'm not really a big fan of Trebek's DD.  It seems too slow-moving and it has pointless bits of trivia that don't help the contestants in getting the right answer.  Plus I dislike the funky set.  Concentration (Classic in particular) is one of my all-time favorites and one that I could never get enough of.  If it was on GSN I would probably DVR every episode.

Concentration, 10-1.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2014, 01:12:45 PM »
Double Dare (Summers) vs. Break the Bank (1976): Clearly a no-contest here. Double Dare was a rite of passage for me. I was a little too young to remember the original, but watched Super Sloppy and especially Family Double Dare, and later enjoyed the earlier episodes on GAS reruns to show that was as just as good as when I first started watching it. What other game show actually has action taking place before the name of the show is even announced? Lots of variety of stunts and obstacles that are still discussed about which are easiest, most difficult, and the popular difficulty spikes of questions that almost always result in a physical challenge. The music is definitely top notch, and Marc Summers makes it enjoyable to see. Break the Bank on the other hand is a decent show that has a good mix of skill and luck along with some decent celebrities and perhaps should have lasted a bit longer, and Tom Kennedy was a good host and I always like straddling formats, though the self-contained one wasn't bad. But its not even the best Break the Bank version, that would be the now mostly destroyed 1948-1957 version that had some good audience play segments and was one of the first popular game shows.

Overall: Double Dare (Summers) 8, Break the Bank (1976) 3

Double Dare (Trebek) vs. Concentration

Trebek's Double Dare had a lot going for it, mainly the progression of clues that vary in difficulty which made strategy important. It also had a cool set going for it, and most importantly the theme that later became associated with Jim Perry's Card Sharks. But its not as fun as some better shows which probably led to its short run, but at least it helped train Alex for his record-hosting run on that other show.

Speaking of Alex, I had fond memories growing up and watching Classic Concentration on the air, and at the time memory matching was my favorite game to play with my mom as we had a Lord of the Rings-themed set. I even played a PC game with a friend involving the show during the show's run. I wasn't good enough at the time to get the rebuses, but it still draws a challenge watching it today. I wish they would have stuck with the original format, but it was still enjoyable to watch. The Jack Narz version and the original versions were also great the time, the former using some Price is Right cues and having a brief but fun bonus round, and the original responsible for returning Game Shows to respectfulness in the wake of the scandals. Too bad an episode hasn't been run on TV for over 20 years!

Overall: Concentration 8, Double Dare 3
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2014, 10:54:56 PM »
Another round of voting has ended, and let's see who won...

The first match-up was dominated by the favorite...

Summers' Double Dare breaks Break the Bank, 9.00 to 2.00.

The second match was closer but the favorite ended up winning comfortably...

Concentration spoils Trebek's Double Dare, 6.53 to 4.47.

And that does it for the Wink Bracket.  Join us tomorrow as we crash the Cullen Bracket by tackling more match-ups.  See you then!

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
It's time for the Round of 32 in the Wink Bracket to commence.

The first match will be...

#1 Wheel of Fortune

Vs.

#9 Gambit

And in the second one...

#5 Scrabble

Will take on...

#4 Blockbusters

Voting ends Wednesday.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2014, 06:13:32 PM »
Two easy ones for me. Gambit is another one of those shows that I just don't find fun. Too slow and bored me at times. I know people have issues with WOF, but I still enjoy it much more than Gambit. 9-2 for WOF.

Again, I just don't find Scrabble entertaining. I suspect it's the pacing but I'm not entirely too sure. Blockbusters is a fun one for me, I've always enjoyed it. 8-3 for Blockbusters.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »
Well the first one is pretty easy for me. WOF 9-2.

The second one I'll go with the one that I'm more familiar with. I'm taking Scrabble here. 10-1.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »
I have to go with Gambit on this one. I gave my reasons against Wheel in the prior round. LV Gambit was just so-so though.

Gambit 9-2

This other match is tough. The originals of both are so good, while the revivals were not. It's close, but

Blockbusters 6-5

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 09:39:46 PM »
I'm not going to help Wheel advance, even though it's the heavy favorite here.  Wheel jumped the shark years ago when it started to compete with WWTBAM by increasing its bonus round cash values.  Gambit, on the other hand, is seeing new interest thanks to Wink releasing episodes and previews on his YouTube page.  I'm giving my votes to Gambit, 7-4.

And between the two NBC quizzers in the other matchup, Scrabble was way more fun and exciting to watch.  I'll dock a point because the Blockbusters revival was better than the Scrabble revival.  And another point because BB 87's theme kicks Scrabble 93's theme's ass.  Scrabble, 9-2.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16