Author Topic: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2  (Read 11355 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The 2014 Champ. of Amer. Game Shows: The Wink Bracket, Part 2
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »
Both for me are going to be runaways.

First, DD over Concentration 10-1 (mercy point for its longevity).

Had it not been for every host since Louie, FF would be on top. 8-3 on GUTS.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2014, 09:30:13 PM »
First match up is interesting in that we have two very different styles going against each other. So what do I do when that happens? Clearly it has to come down to overall execution. And I find both had highs and both had lows, but I feel Double Dare 2000 was a bigger low than really any that Concentration had. Toughest match up of this round so far, but I'm going 7-4 in favor of Concentration. I like both, I just feel Concentration was a little stronger.

The next match up is a little bit easier. While GUTS was great for a physical game show and grand scale for a kid show, I find myself remembering more the general concept as a whole than specifics, and while I appreciate Mike O'Malley and Mo, I find Feud's best hosts to be ahead of them, and it had enough decent hosts that we can forget Louis. GUTS will certainly get some points here, but Feud is a classic for a reason. 8-3 for the Feud.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:35:03 PM by UniquePerspective »
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2014, 10:20:07 PM »
I'm giving both Nickelodeon shows the wins.

First match-up I'm giving GUTS the win because I cannot stand Family Feud today, especially when I cannot stand Steve Harvey and the sex questions and answers. 9-2 for GUTS.

For the second match-up, no match at all. Double Dare is a classic. While Concentration was okay, it did put me to sleep a lot. 11-0 to take the physical challenge.

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
No Nickelodeon fanboy bias for me on the first one! Despite a couple of recent stumbles Feud has waaaaaaaaay more going for it than GUTS.

Feud: 10, GUTS 1

Concentration is a longtime standard, but Double Dare wins for me as THE iconic kid's game show.

Double Dare: 6, a Concentration: 5
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2014, 10:49:23 PM »
The classic or the teens? Gotta go for the classic here. FF 9-2.

For the second match I gotta say both are great shows. However it's great back then when you're a CHILD! With that it's Double Dare (Summers) for me. 7-4.

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2014, 11:27:05 PM »
So....
Feud 8, GUTS 3: Did Louie suck? Yes, Is the current version trying to be the MG of the 10s? Yes. Has it been consistently above average since '76. Yep. GUTS hold the previous reasons.
DD is still good, Concentration is just a bit better w/the originality logic. CON 7, DD 4.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 12:33:32 AM »
Concentration & DD are both classics. But at the end of the day, Concentration is just a bit more of a traditional game show than DD ever was. That's why it ekes out the win here.

Concentration: 6
DD: 5

Family Feud should be the favourite here. Family Feud will most likely win. But I just can't give it a win. In fact, there are 5 reasons why this matchup won't even be close for me:
1.) Louie Anderson (as others have already alluded to).
2.) The Bullseye round (to me, it didn't feel right that 1 family could potentially play for up to 4 times what the other family would be stuck playing for the house minimum).
3.) Dawson feud going to a 400 point format (in short, it took away the interactions between families & Richard & extended a game that didn't need to be extended).
4.) The 1994-95 version (it was just different from the rest, and not in a good way).
5.) The present incarnation (Steve Harvey's repetitive schtick, all the innuendo, the choppy editing, the unnecessary difficulty of Fast Money, etc.).

The only reason it would've got a point from me was because it wasn't up against Greed. But not even that can prevent the ensuing shutout vote:

GUTS: 11
FF: 0

(FYI, I have seen GUTS & enjoyed it, so it would've won this matchup anyway. I just felt like explaining the lopsided score in the context of FF's flaws was more effective in this case).   

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
For the same reason that I couldn't in good faith give "Match Game" a win, I can't give "Family Feud" a win, either.  Had it not been for the sex and bodily function questions that have overrun Harvey Feud, this would have been a runaway win for the Feud.  I'll give it to GUTS, 6-5.

The second match is no contest for me.  Since I love the cerebral games, it's going to be Concentration, 10-1.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
Unlike certain people my age who by far had a bigger passion for Double Dare, I was equally into Concentration, often playing a matchmaking game with my mother on Saturday Nights. That said, while Double Dare may be more visially appealing and of course you can't deny the excitement of the stunt challenges, Concentration feels just a fun due to matchmaking, the various prizes/bonus cards that appear, the rebuses in the puzzle, and has themes nearly as good as Double Dare's. It allows you to think better by focusing on both the prizes and the puzzle, and has LFaT value through certain symbols that are reused. Plus, it never jumped the shark in its history.

Concentration 7, Double Dare 4

GUTS is still a good show to watch and has a similar variety of challenges like Double Dare provides, but as an adult I'd rather watch an American Gladiators marathon (even Gladiators 2000), even if GUTS had a better variety. Family Feud meanwhile is frequently listed as a Top 5 game show of all time (it was #3 on GSN's Top shows list) and despite its various hosts and going in the direction of how Match Game went in the '70s, its still an enjoyable "Bar Game" with the newer version, plus the fact that Fast Money is still the same good bonus game.

Family Feud 8, GUTS 3
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:49 PM »
Here are GRV's explanations for the 11-0 votes (he PM'ed them to me):

For Nickelodeon Guts: Louie Anderson's hosting, The overabundance of sex questions and other gags have made the show not fun to watch in its current state.

For Double Dare (Summers): Concentration's rules are bizarre and Really indigestible to me, Thus it makes it difficult to understand.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
My votes:

Family Feud vs. GUTS:

Feud is a prime example of game show longevity.  A show that lasts for almost 40 years, survives six hosts and stays current should be considered legendary.  GUTS was fun... but that's it.

Family Feud, 10-1.

Concentration vs. Double Dare:

I guess I just like the premise of Concentration more than Double Dare.  A show that is so simple in concept yet can be exciting is worth high praise.  Double Dare probably relies more on being fun to watch than the format of the game, which is unimpressive for me.

Concentration, 9-2.

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
Let's find out who won these matches...

Two favorites came out on top this week...

Family Feud scales the Aggro Crag, 6.15 to 4.85.

And...

Summers' Double Dare edges out Concentration, 5.69 to 5.31.