Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166111 times)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
You could definitely tell this was a test episode.  Just look at the first main game.  The graphics were a little off.  The doors were a couple of centimeters too low, causing a sliver of the WILD! under #16 to become exposed when #11 was opened.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Wasn't the puzzle used in the first game, "Equal Pay For Equal Work," used as an opening teaser puzzle on one of the Orson Bean-hosted pilots?
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Indeed, specifically the one which has been circulating for many years.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
Here's another great video from Wink.  It's the pilot for Whammy: The All New Press Your Luck hosted by Peter Tomarken!!  ENJOY!!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Oh, what could have been...

Peter never lost a beat hosting, even though the last Press Your Luck was taped almost 16 years before this pilot.  It's a shame he didn't get the job.

Not having the physical Whammies rise up out of the podium was a minus, in my book.  Thankfully those were reinstated when the series entered production in later in 2002.

The "Whammy Guard" was an interesting gameplay bonus for a perfect score in the question round.  I would have liked to see it come into play in the regular big board round to make things interesting, especially for a gambling player or one with a huge score.

Like the series, the second big board round seemed to really drag, even though it was exciting to watch.  The Double Whammies seemed to be there to get a laugh, rather than adding anything interesting to the game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 01:13:00 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
The "Whammy Guard" was an interesting gameplay bonus for a perfect score in the question round.

Seems to me like it would have been VERY hard to earn.  Only one contestant in each game would have the chance to get it - in this case, Vickie, since she answered the first question and got the right answer.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
It would have been.  That's why I would have liked to have seen it on the big board, similar to how the Free Spin token could be earned in Wheel of Fortune, a bonus for the contestant lucky enough to hit the right spot.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
I absolutely never thought I'd see that pilot.

Peter doing his original sign-off at the end sent a chill down my spine.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
From Wink and his team, here's an episode of a great show that should've had a LONGER run, Break The Bank from 1976 with slate!  Enjoy!!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
A tribute to Bill Rafferty, whose birthday was today:

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
Bill Rafferty has to be the most underrated and unlucky game show host in history with the all the bombs he hosted.

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
Good host, just cracked a lot of bad jokes.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Bill Rafferty was a good host it sucked that many of his Game shows didn't last long. I prefer his hosting of Card Sharks over Bob Eubanks.

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Quick question on the Whammy! pilot....do we know why Peter wasn't selected as the host for the series? I mean, if you look at most of GSN's reboots/originals back then they liked established game show hosts (Bob Eubanks, Chuck Woolery) - I'm confused why they wouldn't select the ORIGINAL Press Your Luck host to be the host of the reboot.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »
Apologies for the bump, but this just showed up on Wink's FB page...

"September was a big month for game shows back on a certain day in the 1970's. Starting Friday relive some special moments and view a few rare gems straight from my vault! You won't want to miss it! The Winker"