Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166083 times)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 09, 2022, 12:09:00 AM »

Bob Hilton 1990 LMAD pilot

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2022, 11:37:14 AM »
wanted to share this yesterday, but the site was down all day...

anyway, here's a Safecrackers game that had nothing to do with TPIR

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2022, 08:33:35 PM »
Yikes. Rough stuff.

Offline C8

« Reply #393 on: December 13, 2022, 11:17:35 AM »

Wow. I never saw the Hilton LMaD but that pilot sure is a trip and I’m stunned it made it to air. It had “bad idea” written all over it.

I knew it was going to be something when the models were dancing on stage before Bob came out, then Bob came out to a litany of family friendly Disney characters including Roger Rabbit(?!), then everyone continued to dance behind him. It was an assault on the senses. Then it continues as the announcer just screams his way through the program and the models just seem way too hyper.

Bob seemed affable enough and not the least of the problems of the pilot. If the pilot represented the series at all, I’m sure Bob was a scapegoat when ratings were in the tank and I can see why not even bringing Hall back saved the show.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #394 on: December 13, 2022, 12:39:07 PM »
another thing to note: same level of visual punnery as modern-day Wayne Brady LMAD (imo)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #395 on: December 13, 2022, 01:22:46 PM »
(posted after editing period has passed)  another one is about to happen: (watch party/premiere in 8 minutes or so from when i post this)

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2022, 09:48:57 PM »
Theme music from “Safecrackers” sounds mighty familiar...during the late 70s/early 80s, it was the theme from KPHO-TV's late-night umbrella title “Movietime”. Before that, fellow local station KTVK (then ABC) used it in an evening news promo.
Anyone know the title and/or composer?

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #397 on: December 15, 2022, 09:47:53 AM »
Strike A Match is the better of the last two pilots, thanks to the faster-paced gameplay as well as the interesting strategy used for the final bonus round. Given that it's a Merv Griffin production, it uses one of Wheel's prize cues as the theme, as well as the then-current style of name tags used. But by having various elements of concentration, category recall, and planning ahead as the new words appear after each question, along with a mid-show bonus round provides a lot more show than Safecrackers, which drags on two much with the celebrity questions regarding the individual word. It almost feels like a cool cousin to Split Second.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2022, 12:14:43 AM »
Theme music from “Safecrackers” sounds mighty familiar...during the late 70s/early 80s, it was the theme from KPHO-TV's late-night umbrella title “Movietime”. Before that, fellow local station KTVK (then ABC) used it in an evening news promo.
Anyone know the title and/or composer?

Just in: the theme is adapted from the intro to Neil Diamond’s “Crunchy Granola Suite”.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2022, 11:13:26 AM »

Personally, I didn't think this pilot was that bad. The same basic elements of gameplay are there: Take the item or sure thing we're showing you, or take the unknown. Nothing I could see with the execution showed a disaster waiting to happen.

I just think that it was a bad time slot and there was just general dis-interest in the show. And while I think Bob Hilton certainly did a good job hosting, I just think that longtime viewers who might have otherwise watched just weren't going to take to anyone other than Monty Hall. For them, he was still "America's Top Trader" and "TV's Big Dealer."

Brian

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2022, 07:11:29 PM »
and we got another one for the month

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #401 on: December 23, 2022, 07:05:15 AM »
Wow. I never saw the Hilton LMaD but that pilot sure is a trip and I’m stunned it made it to air. It had “bad idea” written all over it.

I knew it was going to be something when the models were dancing on stage before Bob came out, then Bob came out to a litany of family friendly Disney characters including Roger Rabbit(?!), then everyone continued to dance behind him. It was an assault on the senses. Then it continues as the announcer just screams his way through the program and the models just seem way too hyper.

Bob seemed affable enough and not the least of the problems of the pilot. If the pilot represented the series at all, I’m sure Bob was a scapegoat when ratings were in the tank and I can see why not even bringing Hall back saved the show.

I agree about Dean Miuccio's performance as the announcer. He screams his way through the program, which I'd don't remember him doing during the actual series.  Jay Stewart or Wendell Niles would have been rolling in their graves over Dean's style, they would have not liked it.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #402 on: December 23, 2022, 11:05:09 AM »
I agree about Dean Miuccio's performance as the announcer. He screams his way through the program, which I'd don't remember him doing during the actual series.  Jay Stewart or Wendell Niles would have been rolling in their graves over Dean's style, they would have not liked it.

I suspect that, once the series was picked up by NBC, someone had a talk with Miuccio about his skills and performance in the pilot and asked him to tone it down.

Brian

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2022, 02:35:57 PM »
fun fact: they used the set for extra games that wasn't for the show as televised for people in the Florida Disney/MGM park as shown here

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #404 on: January 05, 2023, 03:59:51 PM »
and despite this show's title, it's not Pyramid (heck, the description wink's team put made fun of that coincidence)