Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 166070 times)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #435 on: November 10, 2023, 10:04:12 AM »
Sure, Cullen was slower, no doubt. But by slow in general, I mean the entire flow. I get the gimmick, and hell, Joker was my childhood favorite show. But the spin, pause to decide, frequent exposition by the host, question, etc. wasn’t exactly a breakneck pace. They got a few games in on average because the winning threshold wasn’t all that high, and some games just ended ultra quickly with big spins or the triple Joker instant win. TTD and Bullseye games took longer with their gimmicks but the pace of questioning wasn’t all that much faster (especially the center box on TTD 😉).

The formula with the slightly altered packaging worked for them, and more power to them. They had nice, successful runs. I look more to a show like Jeopardy as being fast paced with typically 60 questions a show excluding final.

Turing Joker into Hollywood Squares with a slot machine certainly made it even slower, but more like a regular steady walk a leisurely stroll. It was certainly interesting to see it.

Online RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #436 on: November 11, 2023, 08:21:59 PM »
Well, obviously Monty was going for a new daily syndicated show with this one, which is why he ended Let's Make a Deal. Yet ANOTHER Hollywood Squares derivative!

Had the show actually made it to air, would it have been re-titled “Shoot the Works”?

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #437 on: November 15, 2023, 03:45:12 PM »
Here's the other Monty Hall pilot from 1976, Talking Pictures, which, IMO, was the far better game, and far better presented as well, w/the movie marquee puzzle board, the widening windows in front of the stars, and the overall old-time movie theater setup, among other things (I also liked the format of trying to solve a movie title puzzle, and how the players got the letters [guess which star said something, and where that star was on the board]).

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #438 on: November 26, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »
While this has been circulating, here's a higher-quality version of the Fun House pilot (hosted by JD Roth)

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #439 on: December 04, 2023, 11:41:44 PM »
this showed up out of nowhere