Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 165568 times)

Offline Borusa

• In Contestant's Row
It is. That sound effect was also used in Trivia Trap to indicate a wrong answer was chosen or the correct answer was chosen depending on which version (they changed the rules so many times). Trivia Trap may have been the first show to have that sound effect as well as the reveal sound effect used on Family Feud during the Fast Money Round.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
They also used the end of the Dawson Feud theme for a winning round as well, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Oddly enough, the theme to On a Roll is "Working Girl March" from the 1982 film Tootsie, which was also used on the pilot for Body Language and a failed pilot called Star Words, both in 1983.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Also, this pilot seems to be a derivative of an earlier failed pilot, 1977's Spell Binders.  The Name Game and the Lucky 7 bonus round seem to come straight out of that pilot.

I like how there's a twist on the double rolls.  Instead of awarding an insurance marker like High Rollers, a double gives control, a free letter, and any remaining rolls to the other player.

It's really strange to hear Dig We Must on a show that's not Price.  Also, that computer-generated Mark Goodson Productions logo looks weird next to the art card "On A Roll" credit.

In addition to the Wheel and High Rollers combo, the puzzle element is straight out of Password Plus/Super Password.  Overall, I thought the format is good, but it could get tedious as the puzzle gets more revealed.

Given the possibility for a Lucky 7 payout of as little as $2,000, I wonder if this was intended to replace Pyramid or Press Your Luck on CBS, rather than try for syndication.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 08:01:30 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
using "Dig We Must" as a game/match win cue definitely doesn't seem appropriate on a game like this, probably also inappropriate for any other TV game show. However, using the end of the "Family Feud" theme for a round win (before they do the $2,000 trivia race) is an exception. I do love hearing the end of the Family Feud theme.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
Wink has just issued another challenge.  When his FB page gets to 4200 Likes he will release the first of the 4 episodes of the Gambit episodes he just found and had transferred over from Betamax.  Right now, it is at 4052 likes, so we are just 148 away!!  If you have not liked Wink's FB page, please go and do so!!

https://www.facebook.com/winkmartindalegames

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
For the On A Roll pilot, after the dice girls (Linda and Lisa) introduce themselves and the name of the show, announcer Gene Wood should have voiced during the playing of its theme music with something like From Television City in Hollywood, its the game of luck and puzzle solving, On A Roll. And now, here's the star of On A Roll, Daaavid Sparks.
Jay Williams

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Coming this week, Wink will be uploading the pitch reel of Cash Tornado hosted by Jim Perry and the Full Pilot of Matchmates, if I'm not mistaken, hosted by Jim Lange.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:24:02 PM by jimlange »

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
Coming this week, Wink will be uploading the pitch reel of Cash Tornado hosted by Jim Perry

They should have called it "Cashnado". :hammer:
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Correction, the Matchmates pilot was hosted by Michael Burger.  Sorry about that folks.  Anyways, I will post it here when it is uploaded.  Stay tuned!

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
Here's the full Matchmates Pilot!!  Enjoy!!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
This might've spawned the Winners' Big Money Game on $ale of the Century.  The bonus round is almost exactly like the first version of that game (five puzzles in 25 seconds).

Overall, my main issue is the front game could get tedious with contestants trying to match each other, or needing a lot of words to guess the puzzle.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
According to Michael Burger on Wink's page, this had all but sold.  NBC made a last minute decision to not take it and told them that they were fazing themselves away from daytime game shows.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Notice that the game used the "sportstype" display for the 25 second timer, and also notice that during both the main game and the bonus round the "heavy dings" sound effect is played for a win, and an odd sounding buzzer is used for wrong answers. Both the "heavy dings" and the "ring-in" sound are used on Scrabble. One thing you'll definitely notice is how big the button is that's used to ring in.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
Here's the sizzle reel from a 1994 lottery show pilot called Cash Tornado.  You'll recognize a lot of aspects of this one!