Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 165658 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
Interestingly, the host's lectern and the contestant desks fit better with the set than the wooden ones that went into production.  Still, this set looks quite barren and uninviting.  I did like that entrance arch, though, compared to the framed shots of each celebrity that was used in the actual show.

I do wonder why the producers decided to go with 6 in 20 seconds rather than stick to the 7 in 30 seconds.  I've heard it was time constraints, but it seems they had no problem with staying with the tired and true format, as seen on the pitchfilm.  Also, I liked how the subjects stuck to the "punny" titles of the Clark and Davidson eras, rather than the overtly comic ones the actual show used.

The $500 bonus for a perfect round would eventually carry over to the 2012 Pyramid.  I wonder if that bonus obviated the need for a bonus card like the Mystery 7 or 7-11 (it certainly did for the latter) in this version.

And yay for actual bells and buzzers rather than the "woosh" and burble sounds the actual show used.

I do like the logo here, as it recalls the classic The $xxx,000 Pyramid while still being modern.  The green backgrounds for the subjects look better than the 3D pyramid backgrounds on the actual show.  It's really interesting to see that the clue giver's hands weren't restrained in the Winner's Circle like on other versions. 

I really like the fact that there's no background music in the main game, but was disappointed at the lack of a clock ticking sound for the Winner's Circle, though I did like the win music heard in the video.

I do appreciate the judges are fair on this pilot, as opposed to the overtly strict ones in the actual show. And kudos to the writers for not writing categories like "Things Tom Cruise's Dentist Might Say" in the Winner's Circle.

Overall, this is what I think the 2002 version should have been like, rather than very compromised version it was.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 02:30:08 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
There is background music during the main game, just percussion in the form of a heartbeat soundtrack. Note the progressive five wins for $100,000 format; I wouldn't mind a revival that kept that yet still has a Tournament where a contestant can win ANOTHER $100,000 with in each 13-week cycle the $100,000 champions claiming spots followed by the fastest times afterwards. Of course, these types of sets were all the rage around the beginning of the century (and some still are today), and I am sorry that this format wasn't finalized.

Based on Mad Dash's board game idea, I wouldn't have mind if the 1990 Monopoly had contestants' partners stand on an oversized Monopoly board with their partners buzzing for control on the board (same type of questions), switching between rounds yet keeping the same bonus game.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:23:16 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
Here is the sales reel for a remake of The Gong Show with Tom Arnold as host. 

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »
Here's today's offering: A sizzle reel from Name That Tune.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2014, 09:26:32 PM »
There's something I never knew existed, that Gong Show pilot with Tom Arnold.

Any idea of when it was made? Looks like early/mid-90s to me, which would place it between the Don Bleu version and Extreme Gong.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Any idea of when [The Gong Show with Tom Arnold] was made? Looks like early/mid-90s to me
2001, placing it after Extreme Gong (and hence, I suppose, the bawdiness).
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:03 PM »
Here's the sizzle reel for the return of Catch Phrase with Todd Newton as host.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2014, 04:26:32 PM »
Mr. Clue? Not Herbie like the old version?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2014, 04:49:23 PM »
It probably didn't sell in America because there weren't enough sexual clues.

Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
It seemed that a lot of games were shopped for the 2007-2008 syndicated season.  We know Temptation and Merv Griffin's Crosswords made the cut, but this revival of Catch Phrase is a gem.  It would've gone up against those two shows, Combination Lock with Marc Summers, and a potential The Joker's Wild revival.  I would have taken this over what we got.  It remains true to the franchise's format, and it's fun to play along with.  Also, the stakes are reasonable at about a $25,000-30,000 payout per episode, and technology is used in a good way rather than modernizing the show for the sake of it.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
2001, placing it after Extreme Gong (and hence, I suppose, the bawdiness).

Huh, really? Weird, I got a really 90s vibe from it. Probably a combination of the old-looking set, Tom Arnold and the kind of Jerry Springer-ish feel of it. Seems like something that would have been right at home during his heyday somewhere.

Here's the sizzle reel for the return of Catch Phrase with Todd Newton as host.

Now THIS is a gem. Never thought that this would even have been pitched for a comeback. It looks good all around, though I don't think it would have managed to survive in the syndication market. It has a more GSN-ish flavor.

Did Fremantle have any involvement in it? The podiums look like the ones from Card Sharks '01 and Whammy but recycled into new frames again.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »
You Tube challenge met!!  Coming next week is episode number 1541 of Concentration with Jack Narz!!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2014, 04:54:11 PM »
Here's today's offering - a Wink sizzle reel!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
Here's today's offering - another Narz episode of Concentration.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »
Here's an episode of Split Second posted by Wink to celebrate Monty's birthday today.  It also includes the slate.  Enjoy!