Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 165652 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2014, 03:53:22 PM »
That think music in the Head-to-Head match sure sounds familiar, doesn't it?  And I kinda wish they'd gone with the three-round format for the actual series... the Match-Up rounds had no humor and were basically just "guess the coin flip" for 30/45 seconds.

Offline RJSchex

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
The Match-Up rounds had no humor and were basically just "guess the coin flip" for 30/45 seconds.

That, IMO, was the one single thing that caused MG90 to fail. It seemed that the whole game relied solely on the Match-Up, making the main game moot and irrelevant.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2014, 10:03:30 PM »
Actually, I think the main reason it failed was the horrible noon timeslot that ABC gave it, leading many markets (including mine) to preempt it for local news. Game shows were on the decline by 1990, and it seems ABC had little faith in it to begin with.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #138 on: October 20, 2014, 10:41:14 PM »
That's not the same pilot that aired on GSN a few years back, is it? Some parts of it felt familiar (such as Bert stumbling around when the logo lifted in the intro) but others didn't, and I recently discarded a vast majority of my tape collection so I no longer have it to check.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #139 on: October 20, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
No, the pilot GSN aired two Christmases ago was different; it had the infamous "balls" answer from Teri Copley.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »
No, the pilot GSN aired two Christmases ago was different; it had the infamous "balls" answer from Teri Copley.

Ah, that's right. Thank you.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2014, 05:41:51 AM »
More specifically, per the advance schedules, Pilot #3.

It seemed that the whole game relied solely on the Match-Up, making the main game moot and irrelevant.
Indeed. It would appear that the point of Match-Up was to be a fast-paced/exciting climax that brought a definite "end" to gameplay and not allow for the dreaded "straddling" of games, never mind the fact that Match Game was never really supposed to be about the format.

That, IMO, was the one single thing that caused MG90 to fail.
I believe ABC slotting the show at Noon (Eastern time) was the major problem.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:50:48 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »
Here's a master of episode #88 of Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2014, 11:26:42 PM »
Now THAT is a welcome sight. As a show it has its problems but it's always been a favorite of mine.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2014, 12:41:39 PM »
Here's another great episode of Narz Concentration!

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
Seeing Episode #1535 of "Concentration" made me wonder about something...
In the first game, the contestant filled up all the slots on his scoreboard. What would happen if a player ran out of slots, but won more prizes?

Though I haven't seen it yet, on the Narz version a duplicate prize win (two of the same prize by the same contestant, both using Wild Cards) is indicated by a second copy of the prize card. On the original NBC version, a check mark in the squares along the edge of the board denoted a duplicate prize win.

Online blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
Seeing Episode #1535 of "Concentration" made me wonder about something...
In the first game, the contestant filled up all the slots on his scoreboard. What would happen if a player ran out of slots, but won more prizes?

Though I haven't seen it yet, on the Narz version a duplicate prize win (two of the same prize by the same contestant, both using Wild Cards) is indicated by a second copy of the prize card. On the original NBC version, a check mark in the squares along the edge of the board denoted a duplicate prize win.
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the Narz series, but I'd assume when the original NBC set was designed, the prize board likely was built to hold every possible prize on the board, thus there'd be no possibility of having more prizes than slots.

Offline RJSchex

« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
I'm not sure if this is relevant to the Narz series, but I'd assume when the original NBC set was designed, the prize board likely was built to hold every possible prize on the board, thus there'd be no possibility of having more prizes than slots.

Actually, the prize board on the Narz version was the exact same one used by NBC, only cut down to size, repainted, and glued together at the center. (On NBC, the prize board doubled as a set of sliding doors through which new contestants entered.)

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Second edition of Game Show Bloopers/  This installment is dedicated to Match Game.