Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 164708 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
All I can say is...meh. Props to the set designers for being ridiculously accurate in duplicating the 70s set, especially the stucco wall behind the contestants. Andy wasn't that bad, but I think he tried to channel Gene Rayburn a bit too often. The bleeped answers and censored words really weren't necessary; the double-entendres of old were long gone by 2008. Further, it doesn't help when a contestant or panelist says an answer but you don't know what they said because it was bleeped. If you insist on censoring, at least write the questions so that they sound clean and potentially have clean answers, but leave room for a naughty answer. Stars weren't immaculate but I don't expect them to be. The Super Match, however, oof. Extremely choppy by design. In the 70s Super Match there was usually one answer that popped into everybody's head, and two less frequent, but still common, answers. Hell, sometimes there would only be one viable answer and the celebrities gave the other two because those were the rules. The questions here were wiiiiiide open where 3 or 4 phrases could potentially be the top response. And the "changing answers" thing wasn't really helpful, especially when the contestant didn't choose either answer the star gave for the two responses she elected to tweek. And $1000 per correct answer? Pfft, this is 2008. Millionaire and Deal or No Deal had already been around for a while. At least make it $3000 per, for a $30,000 top prize. That's what MGHSH did. If they could do that 25 years earlier, you can too.

Overall I give this pilot a C+. Wasn't a bomb in my eyes but could've done better.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Game$how Marathon's Match Game had it right. Ricki wasn't that bad there as host. It's much better to have Rich continue as an announcer for that pilot. The celebrities were fine too on the G$M special. How I've wished they were carried over to this pilot, especially Betty White.

My thoughts on the bonus game is, it's really bad. Messing up with a format that worked for over a decade was one of the flops for this "modern" revival. The innuendo here is much more than what we had on the 70s version. Plus, the celebrity panel was not good at all.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
And $1000 per correct answer? Pfft, this is 2008. Millionaire and Deal or No Deal had already been around for a while. At least make it $3000 per, for a $30,000 top prize. That's what MGHSH did. If they could do that 25 years earlier, you can too.

It was intended for daily basic cable, so I’ll give the budget a pass. Even a poor player is likely to pick up $1,000-$2,000, and your prize budget is likely $20K-$30 per week.

But yeah, the bonus round was bizarre. It’s like somebody got worried the Super Match felt like it was ripping off Family Feud, so instead they... ripped off Fast Money?

The panel has some incredibly funny people on it but the only one that made me laugh more than once was Super Dave.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
It was intended for daily basic cable, so I’ll give the budget a pass. Even a poor player is likely to pick up $1,000-$2,000, and your prize budget is likely $20K-$30 per week.

But yeah, the bonus round was bizarre. It’s like somebody got worried the Super Match felt like it was ripping off Family Feud, so instead they... ripped off Fast Money?

The panel has some incredibly funny people on it but the only one that made me laugh more than once was Super Dave.

It's almost as if someone didn't realize where Feud even came from isn't it? lol

As to the panelists, Super Dave was good. I wonder if he got along with Norm though, the one shot at the end he tossed his way seemed a bit mean even for this show, wasn't followed up on either. Norm incidentally in the other pilot had a good line at the open, where he referenced his yellow jacket being from the Dandy Don Meredith collection. I thought that was quite funny, if dated, a fact Andy was quick to point out in his response back to him I'd add.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 12:48:39 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner

Really?  I thought Super Dave was the least funniest one there.  But then again, I've never been a Super Dave fan.  Always kinds wondered if his real name was Noah... Noah Talent.   :-D

Just goes to show ya... different strokes, etc. etc. etc.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
I am not really a fan of the Retro set and music. It just feels so outdated.

Andy wasn't too bad as a host.Sometimes he tried to channel Gene Rayburn. He's a way better host then Alec Baldwin.

The Bonus Game felt like fast money on Family Feud.

This is one of the better pilots. I think this show could of worked if TBS picked it up and did some tweaking.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
ABC's got the perfect modern set for a MG revival. It's cozy yet familiar, with the vibe of the 70s set. But on this pilot, it's surely wayyyy outdated.

As I've said, they could've got a better panel of celebrities there. Match Game '73's pilot had the right formula right from the very first minute!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
This isn't premiering till tomorrow....but it caught my attention tonight so thought I might share it now. The super rare but oft talked about in these circles Combination Lock pilot is coming.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Pity the funding for the show didn't come through. I certainly would have watched this every day. Marc Summers did an excellent hosting job.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Pity the funding for the show didn't come through. I certainly would have watched this every day. Marc Summers did an excellent hosting job.

It was interesting, if maybe a bit understated in presentation I felt like. Personally to that end, without spoiling it if anyone viewing hasn't seen it yet, I thought Marc coulda played up the end game a bit more than he did, giving it a little more energy. Maybe it woulda been different once it sold though, could maybe see that.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
That was unbearably boring.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to agree. Honestly, it's not as good as I thought it was going to be.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags

Agree. The game play had little variety and the high money amounts in the last two rounds made the previous rounds irrelevant, especially if they went unclaimed. At least Marc Summers did a great job.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Agree. The game play had little variety and the high money amounts in the last two rounds made the previous rounds irrelevant, especially if they went unclaimed. At least Marc Summers did a great job.

As I spoke of, I thought his energy was a little flat, especially for the end, but he did keep the game moving well. Mighta again done better once it went to air vs. this pilot which apparently was meant as a presentation more than anything that was moved last minute to Wheel's stage apparently per John Ricci Jr.

Gameplay wise, and I floated this concept in a comment on the video too, I think a speed round to close the main game coulda really benefited it. It wouldn't have been too hard either I don't think to pull off. The way I'd see it working is, you present the three categories as normal, but instead of having 3 numbers to position, you only have 1 with the other 2 already in place. That last number would then be listed alongside 2 others similar to the setup for the other rounds, and the first team to buzz in and pick the correct 1 of the 3 would get the cash value, whatever it'd have been set at.

You'd do as many of these quick fire games as you could till either time ran out if it was timed, or till a signal was heard to indicate the game was over. I am sorta thinking it mighta worked best in the latter format given the time it'd take to reveal each one, but either way I think it'd really add a lot to the game, allowing for lots of drama as it came to a finish.