Author Topic: Wink Martindale's Awesome Non-Price Clips and Episodes: The Ongoing Thread  (Read 165762 times)

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
My main issue with the format is that it's extremely repetitive--even the bonus round used the same format as every round of the main game, except an extra option was added to go for the jackpot. Also, the bonus round was about as exciting as Safe Crackers is on TPiR. Nothing against Safe Crackers, but playing for $185,000 should be more exciting than Safe Crackers. That said, I do think there's an underlying format here that could work, but it would need some refinement to get there.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
My main issue with the format is that it's extremely repetitive--even the bonus round used the same format as every round of the main game, except an extra option was added to go for the jackpot. Also, the bonus round was about as exciting as Safe Crackers is on TPiR. Nothing against Safe Crackers, but playing for $185,000 should be more exciting than Safe Crackers. That said, I do think there's an underlying format here that could work, but it would need some refinement to get there.

Kinda piggybacking off my speed round idea I spoke of earlier....what if they had added a wrong number every couple rounds or so? Like you could start with just the 3 numbers of the combination to warm the teams up, then after a few rounds of that, add one extra number, and then eventually a second one, making things just a bit more interesting and challenging. I think actually, if they did that...maybe say doing 2 rounds of each type, working the same way they did them here (or 6 rounds total), and then finishing with the rapid fire ending, I think you'd have a really solid format.

Then with the bonus game....not so sure about that. I'm thinking maybe some type of timed thing where each correct combination offered xxx number of dollars, with perhaps an option at the end of it to take that or risk it for one 4 digit combination for the jackpot. Not sure what would work best for the first half of it though.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
So going off what I posted just then.....I think I got a format worked out fully in my head, including the end game. The ideal to me, based on budget and overall gameplay I think would go like this.

Main Game:
Round's 1 and 2: Cash Value: $500; 3 numbers in play
Round's 3 and 4: Cash Value: $1,000; 4 numbers in play
Round's 5 and 6: Cash Value: $2,000; 5 numbers in play
Speed Round: Cash Value: $4,000; 2 numbers given, 3 in play

Bonus Round (Part 1): 1:30 to get 7 combinations @ $500 each, w/Main Game winnings doubled if you get 7; 4 numbers in play, up to 2 given, can pass on any
Bonus Round (Part 2): 4 combination lock for jackpot, risking entire winnings up to that point if played for.

Thoughts everyone? I think it's fairly solid. Only aspect I am slightly unsure on is the working of the bonus game given the way the questions are structured. I think I came up with something that accounts for it though pretty well. I thought of going 10, but not sure how feasible that'd be exactly. 7 seems a bit more reachable to me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 12:13:41 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
I just don’t see how such a limited format could have worked on a daily basis. Admittedly, I still don’t understand the appeal of people picking random suitcases either, so that’s on me. But as a quiz type show, the nature of the questions would be so limiting when stretched out 5x per week over a season...let alone more.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
In a first (for the thread, and possibly overall), we have a post from Wink and his folks on Vimeo (as a tribute to Carl Reiner) Not a valid vimeo URL , an upload of "Those Wonderful TV Game Shows" from NBC

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
In a first (for the thread, and possibly overall), we have a post from Wink and his folks on Vimeo (as a tribute to Carl Reiner) Not a valid vimeo URL , an upload of "Those Wonderful TV Game Shows" from NBC

Quite a rare gem, and a great way to salute Carl Reiner, RIP.

On the special itself, it's interesting both The Price is Right and Password (even in the tribute to Allen Ludden) were not represented at all here. I thought maybe that was because it was meant to focus on NBC shows more strictly as part of why (syndicated stuff notwithstanding), but Password Plus was aired on NBC, as was the original Price in the 50's and early 60's. So I don't quite get the omissions in that way. Even Press Your Luck got a clip or two (Peter Tomarken being part of the production team perhaps is why), and to not show any of Ludden's Password work at all is rather strange, given he was most associated with that for much for his hosting career, let alone meeting Betty while doing it.

It's also notable to go back to Price, that none of Bill Cullen's work was featured here either. That's a really glaring omission as well, and like Allen, he did several NBC shows/was doing Hot Potato at the time of this one I would think, depending on when it aired. So it's not like they didn't have stuff in their vault to feature from him.

The only thing I can think of as I type this that would make any of this make sense, given Family Feud wasn't shown either in any form outside of the SNL skit with Bill Murray, is that Mark Goodson declined to have his shows be a part of this. Why that'd be I don't know (and in saying that I realize also that Match Game in either the 60's or 70's/80's was not shown here, adding fuel to that school of thought), but I can't imagine any other reason why so many big shows and for that matter notable hosts between Bill, Gene Rayburn and Richard Dawson, would be left off this. He woulda had to have been why.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:19:48 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
It's also notable to go back to Price, that none of Bill Cullen's work was featured here either. That's a really glaring omission as well, and like Allen, did several NBC shows/was doing Hot Potato at the time of this one I would think, depending on when it aired.
It aired February 27, 1984 (an OC copy of it turned up on YouTube a few years ago, I believe), so Hot Potato may not have yet begun taping when this was being put together.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
It aired February 27, 1984 (an OC copy of it turned up on YouTube a few years ago, I believe), so Hot Potato may not have yet begun taping when this was being put together.

Possibly not, and thanks for that clarification, with Pop and Rocker Game featured and spoke of as still being on the air, I figured it was likely to be somewhere closer to the beginning of the year vs. the end of it, but wouldn't have been able to say for sure on that.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Here's a treat: a 1974(?) episode of Masquerade Party. Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:37:46 PM by tpir04 »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Fresh out of the vault: the 1974 pilot for the NBC would-be game show Money Words.

I can see why this didn't make it to air. The gameplay was far too slow, especially during the reign of Lin Bolen, and in an era where Price, a much more fast-paced show, was already on the air for a year-and-a-half.  Not only that but the technology was outdated too. While the set was very colorful and one that I would prefer, there were hardly any eggcrates and Price and Jokers Wild among other shows were making great use of them for a while before then. Conversely, Mike Darrow did a fair job as host, keeping the game moving as much as he could. The bonus round surprisingly foreshadowed Wheel of Fortune, I liked it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 03:12:56 PM by tpir04 »

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Money Words one day, Pot O' Gold the next...

Enjoy!

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
And the pilot for Banko!

I think it's great that this was unedited. Gives a small glimpse of the raw episode before the tape reaches the editing room. Especially where Wink was running through the play-at-home plug beforehand, that was pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:46:56 PM by tpir04 »

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Banko is just as boring as Money Words. Too slow and tedious.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Banko was god-awful.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
This exists, apparently.

The 1986 pilot to Second Guess, with host Alex Trebek, uploaded in honor of Alex's 80th birthday.

Not that bad of a pilot imo. Alex did an absolutely fantastic job. Really liked the idea of second guessing your spouse, whether to trust their instinct or not. The board layout and the idea of trying to get more than your opponent overall was cool, it kept the emphasis on the bigger prizes but they took more time to earn. So there was this sort of trade-off, do you want the smaller prizes immediately or the bigger prizes later? Bonus round was pretty sweet, with the urge to quit getting bigger and bigger as the game progressed. Set wasn't bad, you can't go wrong with gold.