Author Topic: Season 43 Spoiler from Mike  (Read 74521 times)

Online thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Season 43 Spoiler from Mike
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
I have to ask:  why?  There wasn't uniformity between the GPT and the doors for three and a half decades.  There was for exactly one year, and we don't see the tag enough in my opinion for it to really make a difference either way.  Maybe if they brought back the classic wide shot they used to use as Bob and the IUFB winner walked over to it, perhaps...
You know, I don't really know. I think it'd be nice just for fun, but other than that, I don't really have a reason. It just appeals to me.

I posit that if Roger was still in charge, and Roger sent out a tweet saying "we're going to change the doors", no one would have said anything except "wow, can't wait to see what they come up with!"
You posit, exactly. One of my biggest problems with the criticism of the criticism is that people like to pretend that everything pre-Mike was all sunshine and buttercups, that everything Roger touched was gold, and that no one ever disagreed, and that is completely false.

That said, I do agree that a rush to judgement as soon as a tweet is made is a little hasty.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:01:29 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »
The first thought that popped into my head about "light up doors" is that the material of them is being changed.  Potentially glass / fiberglass big doors?

I can't see how you could add regular lights to thin pieces of plywood and not get the wiring in a tangle (especially with the way the panels open).  Although I suppose anything's possible...
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline tnpir2014

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:26 PM »
You know, I don't really know. I think it'd be nice just for fun, but other than that, I don't really have a reason. It just appeals to me.

And sometimes that really is just what it comes down to, individual preferences.  That's more than fair.

It's pretty obvious how my question was relevant to what was said.  The statement was made in a "I'm mad because Mike is going to change something yet again" vein.  [sic]  It gets old.

No, what gets old is that anytime someone expresses pessimism about forthcoming changes because of existing dissatisfaction with the way Mike does business now, someone like you feels the need to mock and belittle them for it.

I posit that if Roger was still in charge, and Roger sent out a tweet saying "we're going to change the doors", no one would have said anything except "wow, can't wait to see what they come up with!"

And the reason for that is that under Roger, most of the changes were relatively minor ones, and (at least seemed to be) more crowd-pleasing as a whole than what Mike's been coming up with.  The design of the set isn't going to make or break it for most of us, but it's still an iconic element that a number felt was utterly ruined in season 36, and has only gotten worse since--I happen to be one of those people.  And based on what the first stages of what I've come to call the Richards Doctrine (updating everything for 2014 whether it needs it or not), I'm not optimistic about what more of his changes might bring.

EDIT:

The first thought that popped into my head about "light up doors" is that the material of them is being changed.  Potentially glass / fiberglass big doors?

Anything's possible, but wouldn't fiberglass doors be too heavy to handle easily?  And glass doors too fragile?

I can't see how you could add regular lights to thin pieces of plywood and not get the wiring in a tangle (especially with the way the panels open).  Although I suppose anything's possible...

I dunno, they're getting the 3D logos they have now to light up somehow.  That must mean they've found at least a partial solution to the problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:16:09 PM by tnpir2014 »

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
You posit, exactly. One of my biggest problems with the criticism of the criticism is that people like to pretend that everything pre-Mike was all sunshine and buttercups, that everything Roger touched was gold, and that no one ever disagreed, and that is completely false.

I don't think so. While there was changes made to the set, they were not nearly as drastic as they are these days...or frequent.

The show really needs to slow down and realize that things don't need to be updated every three seconds.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
No, what gets old is that anytime someone expresses pessimism about forthcoming changes because of existing dissatisfaction with the way Mike does business now, someone like you feels the need to mock and belittle them for it.

Quote of the year? :P

I'll reserve judgement until after I've seen a photo of the new doors, which I'm sure will be forthcoming in the next month or so. For now, I just hope they finally change Door 3 to a color other than green.

The show really needs to slow down and realize that things don't need to be updated every three seconds.

This. 100% this.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:31:51 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 10:51:25 PM »
I don't think so. While there was changes made to the set, they were not nearly as drastic as they are these days...or frequent.
This. 100% this.

I'm really not sure where this is coming from. All they have really done since Season 37 have only really been one change per year. I wouldn't exactly call 365 days "three seconds". They haven't even been highly "drastic" either. If they had done them all at once, sure, one might consider it that way. However, spreading them out into 5-6 years makes them more tolerable, because they came along by piecemeal development. Also, changes were made frequently before the "Mike" era, heck, there was a 6-year period from 1996 to 2002 where the Big Doors were changed 7 times!

Here's a good article for some of the various changes made over the years to the set, music, graphics, etc.

The rub is that in today's day and age where everyone is advancing and things are changing faster than they have been, there is a general attitude in television to make each season better and somewhat different than the last. Whether people like changes or not, it does get people to tune in and even entices the "fringe" fans to tune-in to episodes they might otherwise not have tuned in to see a certain change or whatnot. For example, when news of the turntable being changed hit, there were numerous members and people who aren't on this site who turned into see what the new one looked like.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:03:36 PM »
I love the classic Barker set/door design. But, honestly, the classic Barker set/door design is exactly that. I feel the squares define Drew, they have become recognizable in most of the graphics the show uses, even SNL did a game show parody a couple years back that used the square motif. I want to reserve judgment if, in fact, the doors will now light up. I don't think that will necessarily look all that bad. I could see them all becoming uniform, instead of the current orange-blue-green pattern we have now. Maybe sync with each other for wins and such. Remember, this is all speculation at this point. We do know new doors are on their way, for all we know they could go back to a retro Barker look. Once we see some Twitter/Instagram pics, which I am sure we will, then we can start some true criticism.

As Kyle stated, it would be pretty awesome to have chase lights around the logo. I could easily picture that.

Offline The_Great_Butler

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 12:31:56 AM »
I can live with seasonal set changes.

Don't like the sound of this, though. It's putting the image of the turntable wall becoming all three doors too, and I've never been a fan of the nauseating colors the turntable uses. Plus, I can easily imagine the image of all those lights blaring from everywhere at once getting overwhelming to look at very, very easily.
I'll put this in here, but I didn't want it to overshadow the more interesting topic of specials. Earlier in the show Mike and Beth talked about Jenny McCarthy's appointment to The View and it leads to Mike talking about her appearance on Price. Mike says that he and the staff mulled over whether or not to have her on the show because of the controversy that follows her. They ultimately decided to have her because she's "a great advocate for what she believes in." Now, Mike didn't specify exactly what he meant by "what she believes in" and what "belief" of her's that he's addressing, but that could certainly be taken the wrong way.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:53 AM »
Forgive me for being repetitive if I am

The hypocycloids were on the doors all of Season 35, except for the MDS' where the "Square" motif was introduced.  I'm sure if you went back in the threads you'd find that we all, for the most part, felt the squares were "sharper" than the hypos, hence the change for Season 37.

For me, any changes to the set, pricing game props, etc. are fine considering the current direction the show is heading (a la modernization).  The problem is that union painters/contractors will need to be used, hence more money out of the prize budget, hence more 1.5 for 6 shows, which means more forced losses which the show has mastered, but the fans who care despise.

(BTW, if no one can win Golden Road, why NOT play it 12 times a year!).

No Jimmy Kimmel mean tweets here.  Salgood Mike!

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2014, 03:43:30 AM »
The hypocycloids were on the doors all of Season 35 36, except for the MDS' where the "Square" motif was introduced. 

Fixed that for ya, Willy.

BTW, if no one can win Golden Road, why NOT play it 12 times a year!

Well, when you're right, you're right!

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 05:56:40 PM »
No, I really meant what I said.   What gets old is the incessant hand-wringing that takes place whenever an alleged change may potentially come.  You don't even know why you don't like it, because you don't know what it is.  You just don't like it because Mike said he might do it, and that is what gets old.  I'll thank you also to not presume to tell me the meaning behind the words I use. 

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
No, I really meant what I said.   What gets old is the incessant hand-wringing that takes place whenever an alleged change may potentially come.  You don't even know why you don't like it, because you don't know what it is.  You just don't like it because Mike said he might do it, and that is what gets old.  I'll thank you also to not presume to tell me the meaning behind the words I use.
I agree.........I think it's way too soon to pass judgement on something that hasn't happened yet. I remember not liking the idea of having a male model on the show a couple of years ago and I started to realize that it actually is a good idea.

Best if we just wait to see what changes, if any, that Mike might consider on doing and then, we can give the final verdict.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 06:20:03 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:37 PM »
Remember, Mike did say that he might change the doors.......He didn't say he will change them.

Mike did say in his Tweet that the show is definitely getting new doors, he has already seen them. It's just what they will look like that we are all unaware of. I expect a drastic change only for the fact that the doors are brand new.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:20 PM »
In addition to new doors, shall we say it's likely that a new light border awaits us in season 43? Since it was restored to the show in season 38, they've changed it every year. Is this something that you'd like to see?

Personally, I was not a fan of the spinning dollar sign border from this year. It was a little too busy, too distracting, for my taste. The season 39 border was the best one they've come up with. Classic, yet updated and understated. I'd like to see it be restored to the intro.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 06:36:58 PM »
I'm inclined to agree that it's best to wait and see what the new doors are like before judging them. That's what I intend to do.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."