Author Topic: Season 43 Spoiler from Mike  (Read 74616 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Re: Season 43 Spoiler from Mike
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:58 PM »
What gets old is the incessant hand-wringing that takes place whenever an alleged change may potentially come.  You don't even know why you don't like it, because you don't know what it is.  You just don't like it because Mike said he might do it, and that is what gets old.

I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I'll call out bullshlt on both sides of the coin, no matter if it Roger was behind it, like the icky Hollywood Mural, or something Mike did, like hypothetically, this door change. Neither one is without fault, though I find I tend to agree with you here, unfortunately, simply because I feel too many people knee-jerk over a change Mike makes, simply because he is Mike, and not Roger. The Dobkowitz example you mentioned up thread was honestly fairly accurate, but I think that's also a sign of the forum's era, as well, very reactionary. This is most palpable in the recap threads, where a show is adjudicated on the exclusive ingredient of the mucho of pricing games won, contrasted amidst the slat of games lost, sans concernment of any auxiliary constituent of the day's production.

Of course, to be fair, many, though not all, of those who do complain, don't really understand, or have a first-person background, of the logistics of how freaking difficult it is to run a game show or another program, in totality. I mean, if you [general sense of the word] saw the backstage look of show's production efforts recently, not to mention the various cadences that have to be called out all the time, if you've seen some of the director's cuts uploads of Price, or any other show. A fascinating, relatable example is the Game Show Marathon, run by a few folks who have a little background in these requirements, but not nearly much as anyone on the staff of Price. No matter what you think about such efforts, that was hard to run, for all the requirements you need; cameras, audio, visual, graphical, etc. As such, yes, I might criticize, but it merely comes from the eye test, but my opinions are little more than a trained, not well educated eye, with the exception of hosting. This is merely because my background comes from acting, so I'd reason I know how the host should perform his 'role' on stage.

As always, no matter what your opinions are on the show, if you must disagree, attack the idea, not the person. Additionally, make sure your post makes sense, needs to posted by you, at this moment, and adds to the discussion, in terms of perspectives, information, deep analysis/analyses, history and/or precedent, or new developments.

My thoughts on this door vicissitude? How can I judge it remotely? I haven't seen it, I've only heard of it. I'd never judge a movie based on its premise, or just a written, 2 sentence blurb; the selfsame intellection appertains here. It is only logical that I will have to wait and see, like the rest of us, barring an image of it popping up prior to this post appearing on the board. I importune you to share the tantamount predilection.

William Arthur Ward says what I mean here, with respect to the determinative two paragraphs: "Before you act, listen. Before you react, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try."
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline tnpir2014

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2014, 07:08:01 PM »
You don't even know why you don't like it, because you don't know what it is.  You just don't like it because Mike said he might do it, and that is what gets old.

I dislike most (but not all) of what Mike has done in his tenure as EP.  This change involving the doors, based on the available facts, originates with Mike.  Therefore, I have little to no expectation of liking this new change.

That's not a knee-jerk, that's not an impulse, it's not Mike-bashing, that's not a rush to judgment.  That's logic, based on history and fact.

Though as always, I'm willing (and even hoping) to be proven wrong.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:10:04 PM by tnpir2014 »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 07:11:22 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but myself, but I'll call out bullshlt on both sides of the coin, no matter if it Roger was behind it, like the icky Hollywood Mural, or something Mike did, like hypothetically, this door change.
For the record, as I have noted before, by all indication the Hollywood Mural was not put in by Roger but rather by Syd Vinnedge. I am not saying that Roger is/was perfect, mind you.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
I dislike most (but not all) of what Mike has done in his tenure as EP.  This change involving the doors, based on the available facts, originates with Mike.  Therefore, I have little to no expectation of liking this new change.

That's not a knee-jerk, that's not an impulse, it's not Mike-bashing, that's not a rush to judgment.  That's logic, based on history and fact.

Though as always, I'm willing (and even hoping) to be proven wrong.

We have no way of knowing that it originates with Mike. There is an assumption that it does, which is not by any means a fact. Heck, I'm not even sure if that is a fair assumption to make. All we know is he made the announcement. Heck, it could have even been George's idea. :oldlol: Saying "I have little to no expectation of liking this new change" is completely knee-jerk and impulse and a rush to judgment before even knowing what the change is - just from knowing that a change is going to be made. Even if in your opinion every single change Mike has done in the past has been bad that does not mean every change in the future will be bad as well.

For the record, as I have noted before, by all indication the Hollywood Mural was not put in by Roger but rather by Syd Vinnedge. I am not saying that Roger is/was perfect, mind you.

Interesting as I had not heard that before. I still shutter just thinking about visualizing that... thing.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »
Interesting as I had not heard that before. I still shutter just thinking about visualizing that... thing.
Per some searches, I found that Mr. Gavazzi confirmed it in December 2006.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
All we know is he made the announcement.

Mike, the EP, announced the change via Tweet (I haven't seen the actual exchange but based on Josh444's post, I'm guessing it came from @MRichardsTV, not @PriceIsRight).  This change fits with changes Mike has made.  Therefore, it's logical to conclude that this change originates with Mike.

And as I said before:

I've disliked most of the changes made my Mike.  This change, in all likelihood, originates with Mike.  Therefore, it's highly probable that I'll dislike this change.

Saying "I have little to no expectation of liking this new change" is completely knee-jerk and impulse and a rush to judgment before even knowing what the change is - just from knowing that a change is going to be made. Even if in your opinion every single change Mike has done in the past has been bad that does not mean every change in the future will be bad as well.

No, it's not knee-jerking.  It's basing my future expectations on past behavior.  If I'm right, and this change comes from Mike, then based on the changes that we know for a fact came from Mike--none of which I can recall liking--I'm not optimistic of liking this one.  Once again, that's framing my expectations based on a well-established pattern.

And, saying that just because I've hated every past change, it doesn't mean every future change will necessarily be bad in my eyes...well, technically that's true, but that's rather like saying that maybe this time when George Lucas releases Star Wars, it won't be with a bunch of changes from the last one and/or from the original theatrical versions.  Technically it could still happen, but I'm not holding my breath based on past experience.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:57:44 PM by tnpir2014 »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 09:29:24 PM »
I'd say it's highly probable that the majority of the changes we've seen since Drew began hosting were a direct result of Fremantle, not Mr. Richards (or Roger in Season 36).

No matter who is responsible for the the door change, arguing about something we haven't even seen or have heard a description about is completely pointless.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »
One thing I'm curious about: Just how much more technology could they really squeeze into those doors?  They've been very clever with the way they have incorporated changes in the doors necessary to add textured squares, a 3D sign, wiring for extra lighting, etc.  But could you really install LED color panels across the entirety of the door?  Isn't there a point at which the weight and cabling on those moving frames makes it impractical?  I'm under the impression that they already leave the LED ribbon in the back of the audience in place even when other programs are shooting in 33 because it's too complicated to strike and reset it.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2014, 06:15:22 PM »
I'm wondering if they'd go so far as to incorporate LED screens on the doors where the logo would be - that way they could do different designs for the special shows?

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
I'm wondering if they'd go so far as to incorporate LED screens on the doors where the logo would be - that way they could do different designs for the special shows?

Bite your tongue, sir.  That's the LAST thing we need them to do.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
Fortunately, I don't believe we are technologically to the point where LED video screens can fit into the door panels without there being major alterations to how the doors open and are designed, but please don't give anyone any ideas! :P
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:07:48 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »
I think this quote fits best here.

Because for Fremantle/CBS's own legal protection, the staff is prohibited from reading ideas from people who don't work for the company.

Feel free to flex your creative muscles, but know that nobody in a position to make those types of decisions is going to read this thread.

So if they were planning on doing LED screens it would not be because of this (or any other various) thread on this site. No "jinx" involved.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2014, 07:55:44 AM »
Fortunately, I don't believe we are technologically to the point where LED video screens can fit into the door panels without there being major alterations to how the doors open and are designed, but please don't give anyone any ideas! :P

Haven't you heard of OLED?   :lol:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:57:50 AM by djsquare »

Offline tnpir2014

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
Haven't you heard of OLED?   :lol:

Much as I hate to say anything to support this awful idea, the article djsquare links to does make some interesting points.  But still, I see three principal issues:

1)  This article doesn't make mention of using OLEDs in displays of appreciable size (the largest one I see referenced is 25")
2)  They say that OLEDs are too dim to be used as brake lights, which suggests to me they may not be readily visible in sunlight; I'd have concerns about how well they'd perform under HD studio lighting
3)  By all accounts, OLEDs sound fairly expensive, and however many the show buys will have to be maintained over time

*For what it's worth, I use a Zune HD which uses an OLED display, which under domestic lighting conditions is bright, clear, and crisp; but take it out in daylight, and the screen becomes very hard to see.

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2014, 10:54:06 AM »
Wikipedia is not up to date... I've see OLED displays on advertising trucks at least 12' x 10'.