Author Topic: 2014 NFL season  (Read 171070 times)

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2014 NFL season
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2014, 11:21:46 PM »
Biggest takeaway from this game is that no one was injured. Other than that, can't really make too many conclusions off of a game like this.

I agree, which is why I'm confused why everybody is so riled up about it.  Is America that starved for football that even this pre-preseason game is a big deal?  They sent Michaels and Collinsworth, so NBC even wanted you to think this was the real thing.

I'd be interested to see what the ratings for this end up being compared to a normal Sunday night.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline GSB92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2014, 11:24:40 PM »
I agree, which is why I'm confused why everybody is so riled up about it.  Is America that starved for football that even this pre-preseason game is a big deal?  They sent Michaels and Collinsworth, so NBC even wanted you to think this was the real thing.

I guess the World Cup wasn't enough for them.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2014, 02:14:28 PM »
They've actually had Al Michaels and Collinsworth doing the HOF Game before. NBC's been covering since 2006. They didn't in 2012 because of NBC's coverage of the Summer Olympics, and in 2007 NBC didn't carry it since they were intending to cover the failed China Bowl. In fact, outside of three years, Al Michaels has done the HOF Game since 1986.

Also, while I think America is that starved, it isn't the only reason. This is a special preseason game since it follows the HOF enshrinement. They usually use the in between time to show pieces of the enshrinement since it doesn't air on broadcast TV, talk to the new inductees, and show the other footballers and Hall of Famers who attended.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline catfan2002

• Double Showcase Winner
    • my facebook page
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
Bengals sign Dalton to a 6 year 115 mil extension.
http://bigeastsports.blogspot.com/

HYO winnings: $125,862 and counting

Offline wildbill0962

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Golden Road's Unofficial Official Bracketologist
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
To break that down a bit, it starts as a 6-year/$96 million extension that can escalate based on how far the Bengals advance in the playoffs, provided Dalton plays 80% of the regular season snaps ($1 million added to each subsequent year for reaching the Divisional Playoffs; $500,000 for reaching the Conference Championship; $1.5 million for reaching the Super Bowl).

And of that $96 million, only $17 million is fully guaranteed ($12 million signing bonus, $5 million roster bonus due on the third day of the 2015 league year). After that, it's essentially pay-as-you-go with a $200,000 workout bonus each year from 2016-2020.

Salaries by year:
2015: $3 million
2016: $10.5 million
2017: $13.1 million
2018: $13.7 million
2019: $16 million
2020: $17.5 million

Numbers come from Spotrac and Pro Football Talk.
Pete Carroll has the biggest balls in the world.

10th place in 2010-2011 CSS
16th place in 2011-2012 CSS
17th place in 2012-2013 CSS

B/R Profile: http://bleacherreport.com/users/1048731-bill-riccette
Follow me on Twitter for my take on the Eagles, NCAA Tournament Bracketology and various sports topics @Bill_Riccette https://twitter.com/Bill_Riccette
http://billriccettenfl.wordpress.com/

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »
The Beast is back in camp....GO Seahawks!

Offline catfan2002

• Double Showcase Winner
    • my facebook page
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 06:11:27 PM »
6 games tonight wooo :)
http://bigeastsports.blogspot.com/

HYO winnings: $125,862 and counting

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
That includes 2 live games on NFL Network. At 4:30 p.m. AZ time we have 49ers at Ravens. At 7:30 p.m. AZ time we have Cowboys at Chargers. Looking forward to 🏈 tonight! :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 07:47:23 PM »
TOUCHDOWN Ravens. PAT is Good. BAL leads 7-3.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:55:53 PM by TheGRVOfLightning »
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »
Falcons 5th round pick Marquis Spruill is out for the season after tearing an ACL in practice. With Sean Weatherspoon out as well, the linebacker corps is looking mighty thin.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »
What does everyone think of the preseason experiment of moving extra points back to try and make them more interesting?  Does this proposal have legs, or should it be a one time only alteration? 

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »
What does everyone think of the preseason experiment of moving extra points back to try and make them more interesting?  Does this proposal have legs, or should it be a one time only alteration?
I don't care for it. It's just change for the sake of change. No real point to it. You don't see the NBA advocating to move free throw further back because free throws are boring and mundane and that's really what this is. The NFL has decided extra points are too boring and mundane and are thus seeking change for the sake of change. Extra points were never meant to be the most exciting part of the game anyway.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2014, 07:04:09 AM »

Dumb idea. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Goodell is doing his best to destroy this game. Wouldn't surprised me if it went to flag football within two decades.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »
Unfortunately, the filthy dirty Saints won tonight. 😢 Greg Zuerlein missed a 59 yard field goal on the final play of the game that would have won it for the Rams. His career long is 60 so he's capable of long kick. Too bad he missed this 1.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 12:47:51 AM »
Unfortunately, the filthy dirty Saints won tonight.
Who Dat?!!!  :P

I'm glad that they won: 26-24 against the Rams. And Derrick Strozier could play a huge part with the team this season.