Author Topic: February 11th, 1988  (Read 2315 times)

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
February 11th, 1988
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: February 11th, 1988
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »
Always remove the "s" from https://...

"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 04:24:43 PM »
Shoot, and I thought that I did.   :-(

When Rod called down Susan Ruttan at the beginning of Act 3, I thought for sure we were going to get an appearance from the actress from "L.A. Law".  Unfortunately, I was disappointed.   :lol:

I would have loved to see Bernice as an in-studio contestant.  You could hear the quavering in her voice as soon as Bob got her on the phone.  It's always great to see (or hear) someone who is genuinely excited to be on the show.

I know it's nitpicky, but I have always disliked the fact that Bob always revealed the cash amounts in TPHG in numerical order.  It takes away a bit of the suspense (though I've never seen him build it up like he would in Grand Game).

Online mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »
A few other observations about this episode:

• The "MRRP" sound was still being used on (Deluxe) Dice Game to signify a loss. When did this change?
  • This show was taped in late 1987 - probably December since they referred to the storm.
  • I noticed they started using star wipes by this point (albeit not spinning yet). This narrows the change down as to when the star wipes were first used.
  • Dian was out for quite a while (4 weeks) - normally we'd see models miss tapings for a few days, but not like this.
  • Looks like the wheel started to get worn out - they still used it for about 2-3 weeks or so after this before the new wheel came that was used for 20 years.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
    « Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 08:02:49 AM »
    I also find it interesting that Bob still emphasized that it wasn't just the regular Dice Game being played but the Deluxe Dice Game, even though the final four-digit playing had already occured five weeks prior. A 2 as the second digit was a nasty number in those early days, as far too many contestants went with the odds while refusing the reality that $11K cars were commonly used if it wasn't a $12K car.

Also, the ninth audience curtain by now has been added to completely cover the control room and all curtains now have their sets of two curves on them, and the familiar green-orange-blue-red-green-orange-blue-red-green pattern that would last with a few exceptions/changes through early Season 30, and still remains the longest-lived audience curtains.

Finally, the Showcase Showdown win graphic is now a normal Helevetica after being Italic more or less throughout 1987 (and surrounded by a border from sometime in Season 12 until mid-Season 15), this would prevail until the star graphic was introduced in Season 21.

This was probably one of those episodes I may have tuned on as a toddler yet only remember the colors, sounds, product brands, and shapes, since I clearly remember the transition from the Pricedown Wheel to the "Super-Ball Wheel" and seeing it alternate during the 1988 summer reruns.
    « Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:12:52 AM by pannoni1 »
    Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
    • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
    « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:04:00 PM »
    A few other observations about this episode:

• The "MRRP" sound was still being used on (Deluxe) Dice Game to signify a loss. When did this change?
    I'm thinking sometime in 1989, either in Season 17 or 18, as on the 9/25/89 episode, the "BUZZ!" sound was used instead, even though the current board would not appear for a few more weeks afterwards, and the word "Deluxe" had been removed from the Dice Game sign. It was not uncommon for games in this era to use both sounds for losses, like Check Game, Safe Crackers, Grand Game, Grocery Game, One Away and Secret "X" did (sometimes alternating so that you'd hear one buzzer after a loss, and the other one after the next).