Author Topic: You're The Judge  (Read 1172 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
You're The Judge
« on: July 29, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
I saw this on another forum and I think it's really fun. Basically, people put hypothetical situations that could raise some questions, and you act as a ref or judge and try to resolve it. I'm for now localizing it to Price is Right scenarios, but could expand into others. Feel free to post your own.

1. Bob hears the contestants' bids as $1400/$800/$1200/$1600, and the ARP is $1000. Becky comes up on stage to play Master Key, gets one SP right, but gets the dud. It is revealed to Bob immediately afterwards that producers reviewed the footage and Rochelle actually bid $400 instead of $1400. What do you do? Do you have Red play Master Key with a different set up? Play a new game? Let it stand?
2. Drew is playing Check-Out with Joe. Drew hand Joe the first item, a can of chick peas to Joe so he can look at it before he prices it. Joe notices that the price tag was not removed and mentions this. What do you do? Scrap Check-Out all together? Get a new grocery product? Leave things as they stand and play the game on?
3. Mickey won $10,000 on Pay The Rent in game number 5 of the day, but could have won $100,000. In his frustration, he punches Doug after the last game was played, and is immediately removed from the studio and arrested. He would have been top winner going into the Showcase Showdown. How do you resolve things moving forward? Do you do a Showcase showdown, and if so, how do you do it? Do you replay certain games and contestant's row segments?
4. Tina is playing Range Game, thinks the price is low on the scale and only waits 5 seconds for her to hit the button. The price is revealed to be the very bottom of the range. Tina says this is unfair because she thought the range had to move.  Do you agree?
5. Peter won the first Showcase Showdown of the day after winning a car and being top winner overall. By the time the second Showcase Showdown finishes, it is discovered that Peter is ineligible and should not have played at all today. What do you do?

Please note that these are all imaginary/hypothetical. Will any of these actually happen? No, probably not. I find them interesting for this game though.

Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: You're The Judge
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »
This seems like it could be fun.

1. I would let Rochelle keep what she won except for the IUfB, let Becky have the IUFB and stay in Contestants' Row.
2. I would definitely let the game go on, it doesn't completely ruin the game and you should almost always rule in favor of the contestant.
3. This is by far the hardest of the 5. My solution is kind of out there, but it isn't like it will ever happen. I would say that at the 2nd SCSD, Doug should take Mickey's place in the showdown, but spin first, since he had actually won anything.
4. It is definitely difficult, but both hosts usually say "stop the range finder when the price is in the red area", so if the price is at the bottom already, hit it right away. Tough, but legal
5. I would let him continue, but he would not be able to keep anything he had won. Then we could just put the ineligible contestant disclaimer up at the end of the show.

Plus, here is one scenario.

Lucy is playing Let 'em Roll. She earned 3 rolls, and rolled two cars on her first roll. On her second roll, one die lands on a car, but the other two land squarely stacked on each other. The top one can be visibly seen as $500 and the bottom one can be figured out to be a car. Amber then accidentally picks up the dice poker and hits the stacked dice. The top one rolls to a car symbol.

Does Lucy win the car? Should she roll again? All three or just the one that moved?
Would it be different if she only had two rolls?

Decisions, decisions.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:31:57 AM by 123123123 »

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
I need to edit 1, I messed up the math in my head.

Also, by Doug, I meant Doug Davidson, not a contestant (I tried to pick a different host each time I mentioned one).

1. Bob hears the contestants' bids as $1400/$800/$1200/$1600, and the ARP is $1000. Becky comes up on stage to play Master Key, gets one SP right, but gets the dud. It is revealed to Bob immediately afterwards that producers reviewed the footage and Rochelle actually bid $900 instead of $1400. What do you do? Do you have Rochelle play Master Key with a different set up? Play a new game? Let it stand?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:32:18 AM by UniquePerspective »

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
I've seen the scenario in #1 happen on the show before and the way they handled it was very professional; however in that instance the game was won and both the contestant who went on stage and the contestant who should have won the IUFB had the bids been correct were both awarded the prize won in the PG. I feel #1 could be dealt with in two different ways, one where the show goes on and the mistake is announced, Rochelle wins the prizes that Becky won playing Master Key as does Becky, Rochelle goes and sits down and waits for the Showcase Showdown while Becky returns to contestants row to legitimately win her way out. OR considering the fact only a small prize was won in Master Key, the entire thing gets re-shot, same IUFB, same bids, only Rochelle's bid is correctly heard as $900, she goes up on stage and plays Master Key with the same prizes but different SPs and the keys shuffled around OR and entirely different IUFB is presented with new bids and whoever rightfully wins that goes and plays Master Key with the same prizes and different SPs and the keys shuffled.

#2 is tricky but considering it was the first product, stop taping, replace it with a different product and play the game normally; however regardless of the outcome, Joe is rewarded the prize due to a production error.

#3 is a scenario I've always wondered about. I've seen contestants visibly frustrated or upset almost to the point where I wonder if things could get physical. In a case like this I might continue with PG6, have a Showcase Showdown with the contestants from PG4 and PG6 spin the wheel, have the showcases award the contestants the prizes they've won and never air the show. Then, tape another show with the same contestants except anyone called down after Mickey and have an extra 9th contestant, different prizes and different PGs and have that one aired.

#4 as mentioned in the description of Range Game, the price of the prize will appear in the green section, doesn't say where, so therefore Tina doesn't win. If the game was described but that detail wasn't mentioned, Tina is awarded the prize. Depending on how the host was feeling, the host could see that whoever set up the game to have the price at the very bottom was being unfair and awards Tina the prize.

#5 is perhaps the easiest one. The show goes on with Peter competing in the showcases and regardless if he wins or not, the show goes on as planned. A disclaimer is mentioned at the end of the program that Peter was ineligible and therefore does not win any of the prizes he won.

For the one about Let 'Em Roll, I think there was an instance before where one of the dice was bumped or knocked and the symbol ended up changing but I forget what they did in that instance. This could go two ways: The car is awarded to Lucy or she gets a re-roll. However I feel with the re-roll she might be at a disadvantage and could be awarded the car anyways.

I have a situation as well and this one is actually based off an actual episode. Kerri has bid $19,500 on her showcase, Bob reads the ARP as $23,564 and the difference on her podium lights up as $2,312. Raymond bid $7,000 on his showcase, the ARP is $9,723 and the difference lights up on his podium as $2,723 and Bob awards Kerri her showcase. After the show it is noticed that the ARP and Kerri's difference doesn't add up with what Bob read on the card. What should they do?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:32:42 AM by tpiradam »

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
For scenerio 1, sometimes the control booth hears what the contestant bids instead of Bob's and Bob would then sometimes say both the bid he "heard" and what the contestant bid, and clarify. But if it happens, I'd follow what tpiradam suggests, though if the game was played sixth, I'd allow Becky to return on a future taping for an automatic Come on Down (part of the First Four).

I'd just play on for scenerio 2. After all, we had a Ten Chances playing where all three prices, including the car were accedientally left on!

For scenerio 3, I'd just reshoot Pay the Rent with different GP's (or another emergency game) since taping an entire replacement show would just be too much additional work to sacrifice what had happened up to this point. Also, I'd rule Mickey a lifetime ban on being a contestant again, and that includes all Fremantle and CBS shows, along with 10 years on any other game show.

While scenerio 4 would most likely happen on a video game, it simply is a "budget mode" measure. It wouldn't be unfair though since the green strip extends a little below the bottom of the scale. As it is, I've never seen the Rangefinder price below the A in GAME. Range Game losses for stopping too late are uncommon anyways.

For the fifth scenerio, at least Peter got his moment on the show, and the closing credits clearly state that "Prize winners must meet eligibility requirements." A voiceover/alternate disclaimer graphic is optional.

And for the showcase result, I'd just give each player their own showcase, especially while Bob was the executive producer and it was his mistake. However, the the showcase results should be re-shot so that the viewers at home don't make a barrage of letters regarding the actual showcase prize stating that Raymond should have won, and that could create bad PR.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:48:43 AM »
This is a very amusing and fun topic to consider.  I'm answering without reading what others have written as I didn't want to be influenced by others' opinions in my judgments...

Taking them one by one...

1. Bob hears the contestants' bids as $1400/$800/$1200/$1600, and the ARP is $1000. Becky comes up on stage to play Master Key, gets one SP right, but gets the dud. It is revealed to Bob immediately afterwards that producers reviewed the footage and Rochelle actually bid $400 instead of $1400. What do you do? Do you have Red play Master Key with a different set up? Play a new game? Let it stand?

This one has me confused.  If the ARP was $1,000 and the first player bid $400, then this is not an issue at all, since the $800 bidder would still have won.  If you meant the second bid was $1,800, then it would have been an overbid buzzer and they all would have to have bid again anyway.

2. Drew is playing Check-Out with Joe. Drew hand Joe the first item, a can of chick peas to Joe so he can look at it before he prices it. Joe notices that the price tag was not removed and mentions this. What do you do? Scrap Check-Out all together? Get a new grocery product? Leave things as they stand and play the game on?

I'd leave things as they stood, since someone on the show goofed by not removing the price tag from the item before having it placed on the counter for the game itself.  Similar to a time I saw Golden Road played, and they forgot to cover up the digit for the first prize, and it was just "given" to them, that's what I would do here too.

3. Mickey won $10,000 on Pay The Rent in game number 5 of the day, but could have won $100,000. In his frustration, he punches Doug after the last game was played, and is immediately removed from the studio and arrested. He would have been top winner going into the Showcase Showdown. How do you resolve things moving forward? Do you do a Showcase showdown, and if so, how do you do it? Do you replay certain games and contestant's row segments?

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have only two contestants to spin the Big Wheel for our second Showcase Showdown.  One of our contestants was required to suddenly leave the studio.  The rules are the same, it's just 2 of you spinning the big wheel now instead of all three of you..."

4. Tina is playing Range Game, thinks the price is low on the scale and only waits 5 seconds for her to hit the button. The price is revealed to be the very bottom of the range. Tina says this is unfair because she thought the range had to move.  Do you agree?

Absolutely 100% agree.  And I'm certain Standards & Practices would too.  This gives me an inspiration for another post I did earlier...

5. Peter won the first Showcase Showdown of the day after winning a car and being top winner overall. By the time the second Showcase Showdown finishes, it is discovered that Peter is ineligible and should not have played at all today. What do you do?

Have the one of the two remaining players who came closest to $1.00 participate in the showcase instead.  If both remaining players either tied or both went over, do a coin flip to determine the winner.

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:09:36 PM »

This one has me confused.  If the ARP was $1,000 and the first player bid $400, then this is not an issue at all, since the $800 bidder would still have won.  If you meant the second bid was $1,800, then it would have been an overbid buzzer and they all would have to have bid again anyway.

Look at my second post in the topic. I fixed it.

Season 39 CSS Stats:

Offline JokerFan

• Retro Recap Guide
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
1. I would say Becky and Rochelle get the IUFBs.  The ARP does not count for Becky's total winnings but does for Rochelle.  The game is not replayed nor is a new one played but Rochelle advances to the Showcase Showdown.  This has happened before which is why I say this.  Maybe they could play a different game for one of the prizes (probably the car if they want a car to be offered in each half of the show).

2. Play the game and have the first item essentially be a freebie.

3. Have the other two players participate in the Showcase Showdown.  No third person will spin the wheel.

4. If the rules are clearly explained, then Tina lost fair and square and apparently didn't pay close attention.  It's a loss.

5. This is tough, because it may not be possible to have the second highest SCSD winner participate in the Showcase.  If it is possible, then have that person participate in the Showcase.  Otherwise, maybe have a spin-off between the two other SCSD contestants to see who takes Peter's spot.

Regarding 123123123's Let 'Em Roll scenario:
Have the contestant re-roll the top die.  It was not a car when it stopped rolling, and since it didn't land on a car face-up, it does not count as a car.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:54:58 PM by JokerFan »