Author Topic: Celebrities who you could not stand...  (Read 4537 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Celebrities who you could not stand...
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »
I always thought Peggy Cass was too much of a yenta, and Kitty Carlisle always carried an "I'm better than you" aura (regardless of whether or not that was her actual attitude).

As far as hosts go, I've never been a fan of Bert Convy.  Too bland and generic for my taste.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
I also despised Jerry Seinfeld on his Marriage Ref show - but I despise that guy on everything he's on, so I guess it's not so much just when he's on a game show  :P
For me, that would be Ray Romano, which is ironic because I'm a huge fan of his close friend Kevin James.

And for game show hosts, I never liked Louie Anderson on Feud. Easily the worst of the bunch; although you could say Doug Davidson was horrible on TPIR94, I actually enjoyed his performances, and in fact I'd pick him over Louie any day.

Online crazypackersfan

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • There... are... four... lights!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »
I did remember Little Richard and that X incident on Wheel.........That's something that is still etched in my memory even to this day.
Does anyone have a video of this or know what year it was? I'm curious, as I looked up Little Richard on Wheel of Fortune on YouTube. I found a game where he co-played with James Brown in 1994, but not once did I hear the letter "X" called.

As for celebrities I haven't liked on game shows, I'd go with pretty much every D-list celebrity Millionaire was forced to go with during its first run (besides the actual celebrities they did get for the first batch of shows). I can still remember almost all of the first 10 celebrities, but after that, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Also, for celebrity Jeopardy! when you've got people who are supposed to be smart and end up flopping miserably. Chris Matthews and "Mr. -$4600" Wolf Blitzer come to mind.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
Does anyone have a video of this or know what year it was? I'm curious, as I looked up Little Richard on Wheel of Fortune on YouTube. I found a game where he co-played with James Brown in 1994, but not once did I hear the letter "X" called.
I was trying to find that video for you, but you're right........It wasn't there. Although, I know that this isn't the first time Little Richard was on the show. It was on Music Stars Week in May of '94 and he was on there twice in that same week.

Kathy Griffin on any show, game or otherwise. Not funny at all, just annoying.
I can honestly say that there are times when Kathy can be funny........But now, it's basically just her recapping reality TV and talking about her times on The View and with Anderson Cooper on that New Year's Eve show on CNN. It's not just irritating, but also boring.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 11:16:43 AM »
Agreed that Louie Anderson was the worst Feud host by far, although he was the one who supposedly lobbied to have the top prize increased from $10,000 to $20,000 for Fast Money.

Bert Convy was great on Tattletales, but so/so on "Super Password".  He would have made a fine Match Game host, as evidenced by the 1990 pilot which he hosted.  I always considered Password a bit more cerebral and Convy was too much of a goof at times for my taste.  He'd be a bit too chatty, and give away puzzle answers far too often too.  I know it happened on Password Plus, but it never seemed to happen to the degree it did on SP.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
For game shows, I'm fine as long as the celebrity takes the game seriously.

As for Little Richard on Wheel, you'd think celebrities would at least try for the Friday Finals. After that X call, a WoF fan would be convinced he doesn't take the game seriously. (As an aside, I think ATGS and BAV narrowed down the date to May 4, 1994.)
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
Jon Bauman's shtick was obnoxious, even if he was an OK game player.

Vicki Lawrence was usually good, but for some reason decided to be obnoxious on MG98. Must be Judy Tenuta rubbing off on her.

Eva Gabor wasn't annoying- just didn't seem very bright.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
As for Little Richard on Wheel, you'd think celebrities would at least try for the Friday Finals. After that X call, a WoF fan would be convinced he doesn't take the game seriously. (As an aside, I think ATGS and BAV narrowed down the date to May 4, 1994.)

James Brown wasn't any better. The episode where he played solo also doesn't circulate but Weird Al said on one turn, he picked a vowel after spinning the wheel. When Pat said it had to be a consonant, Brown said Europe.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »
James Brown wasn't any better. The episode where he played solo also doesn't circulate but Weird Al said on one turn, he picked a vowel after spinning the wheel. When Pat said it had to be a consonant, Brown said Europe.

Good grief...   :-?

Regarding Feud hosts, Anderson was probably the worst of the regular hosts (that excludes Roker and Lake), but Steve Harvey is giving him a run for his money;  Harvey repeats the same things over and over, and his shtick has run its course.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
Regarding Feud hosts, Anderson was probably the worst of the regular hosts (that excludes Roker and Lake), but Steve Harvey is giving him a run for his money;  Harvey repeats the same things over and over, and his shtick has run its course.

It was always my opinion that John O'Hurley was the worst host. I haven't watched much of Steve, but I might take him over John.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Recaps can feel like a behemoth task.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2014, 09:35:17 PM »
^ I'd take O'Hurley over at least Anderson and Karn. I could only fairly judge Harvey if they didn't sex up the question format.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes. (Taking a breather as of April 25, 2024.)

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 11:10:32 AM »
O'Hurley seemed too bombastic somehow.  Karn was okay but just a little too "vanilla" as far as blandness goes.

I think Feud is a very tired game now, having been on for 15 seasons in its current run, with 4 different hosts (Anderson, Karn, O'Hurley & Harvey), and from California to Florida to Georgia, I don't even know where it tapes anymore.

I will, on occasion, watch a Harvey Feud episode.  I sometimes enjoy watching his facial expressions when an answer is given, but overall I've not been a big fan of Feud since the show let go of Ray Combs.  The ABC version with Richard, and the CBS version with Combs, and their primetime versions were the real Feud to me.  Now it's just too antiseptic looking, and much too modernized.  I always loved the homespun feel of the Feud sets when they had the cross stitch looking patterns, and the flippy tote board for the main game, eggcrate readouts, etc.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Well, since this is turning from "Celebrities Who You Could Not Stand" to "Family Feud Hosts Who You Could Not Stand", here's my list (top being the best....bottom being the worst):

1. Richard Dawson
2. Ray Combs
3. Steve Harvey
4. John O'Hurley
5. Richard Karn
6. Louie Anderson

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 03:47:35 PM »

Al said that was the rehearsal, not on air.  Also, I can totally understand confusing the words 'consonant' and 'continent'.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-weird-al-battles-james-brown-on-wheel-of-fortune-20140729#ixzz38uhUcb28
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline left4thehouse

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
See, if you said you hated Louie Anderson on Davidson's Hollywood Squares, not a threadjack. By the way, Scoey did not suffer fools. That made him enjoyable. For pure torture, I'd advise the Fabray/Stevenson week of P+. Poor Uncle Bill looked like he needed a drink by the Tuesday show.