Author Topic: Halloween 2014/two weeks of tapings cancelled  (Read 8761 times)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Halloween 2014/two weeks of tapings cancelled
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
Doug Davidson received an audition during season 35, so I don't think anybody was too worried about associating him with a largely-forgotten version of the show from more than ten years ago.

As I recall, Roger had stated before that...

Quote from: Roger Dobkowitz
CBS and Fremantle said no to him (Doug) also. Unfortunately, I think his baggage of being part of a failed version of TPIR probably played into their decision.

So, that could just be Roger's opinion or CBS/Fremantle could have actually been keeping that in mind. I suppose you would think that if they were worried about him being associated with a failed version of the show, they wouldn't have allowed an audition in front of a live audience in the first place.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »
Why they didn't get other fill in hosts who are familiar with the show such as Craig Ferguson or yes...Doug Davidson. ..is mind-boggling
Remember, this has been done before. Back in the early years, when Bob was ill, Dennis James hosted a couple of episodes on the daytime version as well, in addition to his regular nighttime gig, so this is nothing new.

As for Doug Davidson, I don't think his version was that forgotten, because Bob kept making fun of it until it was finally cancelled, and even called himself the "old host" of "The Old Price is Right" (with Rod being the "old announcer" and Janice the "old model", though she preferred that she be called the "original model" instead). Carlos (temptation1979ga, IIRC) had clips of those rants in his Video Vault, and I remember them well. (SN: Years later, Burton Richardson, the announcer for TPIR94, would announce some Barker episodes after Rod's illness and eventual death, as well as an episode where Rich Fields went down with a case of laryngitis.)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
Back in the early years, when Bob was ill, Dennis James hosted a couple of episodes on the daytime version as well, in addition to his regular nighttime gig,
Specifically, four episodes, and all on the same taping day (December 2, 1974). Amusingly, these were recorded between #099N and #100N.

Oddly, per this post, the tapings of January 9, 1973 were simply cancelled due to Bob getting sick, and by all indication it appears that both the Barker and Carey contracts state(d) "no fill-in hosts".

I don't think [the Davidson] version was that forgotten, because Bob kept making fun of it until it was finally cancelled, and even called himself the "old host" of "The Old Price is Right"
Well...yes, but I question how much of the "viewer confusion" Barker spoke of actually existed at the time.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2014, 07:24:07 PM »
As for Doug Davidson, I don't think his version was that forgotten, because Bob kept making fun of it until it was finally cancelled, and even called himself the "old host" of "The Old Price is Right" (with Rod being the "old announcer" and Janice the "old model", though she preferred that she be called the "original model" instead). Carlos (temptation1979ga, IIRC) had clips of those rants in his Video Vault, and I remember them well. (SN: Years later, Burton Richardson, the announcer for TPIR94, would announce some Barker episodes after Rod's illness and eventual death, as well as an episode where Rich Fields went down with a case of laryngitis.)

You're also talking about comments Barker was making while the show was in production, which was still twenty years ago. Outside of the game show fandom internet world, where have you heard anyone anywhere in casual conversation even acknowledge the 1994 version, let alone remember it?

Moreover, when Burton did guest announce on the daytime version, I don't believe his affiliation with the 1994 version was ever acknowledged by Bob on the show.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »
Well...yes, but I question how much of the "viewer confusion" Barker spoke of actually existed at the time.

Roughly zero, give or take another zero. A chip on the shoulder that manifested itself in snarky outbursts doesn't change that.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:19 PM »
Actually, back in 1993-94, there were at least a couple of newspaper/magazine articles that came out saying a new version of Price was in the works, some of which seemed to imply that the daytime show was being replaced with the new version, rather than the new version being in addition to the daytime show. The article clipping below is from my TPIR scrapbook--I cut it out in 1993, when it was first made the news that a new version was being considered. I was only 13 or 14 at the time, but I remember it well. CBS was obviously worried people thought that the daytime show was being replaced, too. They did some daytime TPIR promos, which were very rare at the time. It wasn't Bob just making a "snarky outburst" here and there. I do agree that there were a couple of times where he did become a bit snarky about it (the time when he smirked as he said, "...no matter what happens to that other Price is Right" after it had been cancelled comes to mind immediately), but I think there was a little more viewer confusion than you seem to imply.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:32:45 PM by temptation1979ga »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
...I see. Quite fine to be proven wrong -- it is part of life, after all. :-)

It seems that doing a new syndicated version is a double-edged sword, then: call it The Nighttime Price Is Right, and it likely gets shoved into post-Midnight slots; call it The New Price Is Right, and people think you are replacing the one they have been watching for years.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:36:55 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.