Author Topic: Now and Then  (Read 3025 times)

Offline jnasty

• In Contestant's Row
Now and Then
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
I have not posted to this site in years. When Bob retired and Drew took over, I became really disinterested in the show.  I did not like seeing Drew Carey in Bob's position. All of the magic from season 35 and before was instantly gone in season 36. Drew was hosting Bob's show at that point, at least in my eyes.  I stopped taping shows, quit coming to this site, and basically just forgot about Price for a few years. In 2009, my son was born. After a few years, I got to thinking about when I was his age, and how it came to be that I began watching the show back in the 80's, and it was because of my Mom. We would eat lunch and watch Price every day, and today, when I pop in a old Barker tape or DVD, I can't help but to think about what got me into the show to begin with.  So, a few years ago, when my son was about 3, I started putting in old Barker DVD's for him to watch, as I was still kind of meh on the current show. I know the show had come into its own with Drew over the years, so I decided to give it another chance, and truthfully, I really enjoy turning on the show again and watching current episodes. Season 43 has been awesome so far. I love the set, the interaction Drew has with George and the models, and I think he really does a fine job (my only beef is the wheel, he doesn't refer to it as showcase showdown, and never says "cents" after the dollar amount).

I guess entire point of my long winded post, is that when my boy is an adult, hopefully still watching Price, I want him to be able to look back, as I do, and remember what sparked his love for the show all those years ago.

It's a blast to watch it with him also, and awesome that he enjoys watching Price from the 70's through today, and he's only 5.

Thanks!

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
Re: Now and Then
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
We're glad to have you back.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »
Welcome back, Jnasty!  :-D

OK, how many of you clicked on this thread thinking there would be a discussion of when/why the name of the pricing game was changed to "Now...OR Then"...or that there would be a discussion of game play strategy, such as: There are always 4 NOWs and 2 THENs on the board? 

<raises hand sheepishly  :-o >

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »
Drew actually refers to it as the Showcase Showdown pretty frequently these days. It's often accompanied by "that's where we spin the wheel", but he does say it. :)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 10:05:23 PM »
I'm more bothered by the fact that he never says "the Big Wheel."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:38:43 AM »
The last time I remember him referring to the wheel as big, he also included the adjectives "ugly" and "purple."  :P

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 06:43:28 AM »

I don't see it as being a deal breaker. It's not like there are other smaller wheels in use on the show and he needs to distinguish the showdown wheel as being "big." For my money, the bigger disappointment is that he doesn't refer to the amounts on the wheel as "cents."

Offline boagman

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:00:53 AM »
Welcome back, Jnasty!  :-D

OK, how many of you clicked on this thread thinking there would be a discussion of when/why the name of the pricing game was changed to "Now...OR Then"...or that there would be a discussion of game play strategy, such as: There are always 4 NOWs and 2 THENs on the board? 

<raises hand sheepishly  :-o >

Completely guilty.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
It's not like there are other smaller wheels in use on the show and he needs to distinguish the showdown wheel as being "big."

No, but its name is "the Big Wheel."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 04:18:27 PM »
Hmm, and all this time, I thought it was just an informal thing.

Offline brettley

• In Contestant's Row
  • ever drunk bailey's from a shoe?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »
I share a very similar opinion when Drew took over.  I didn't completely stop watching it, but my interest was gone.  The last few years I have been watching more and more.  It's a fun show, full of glitz and energy.  Drew has improved.  Now with season 43, my interest is completely back, and for only one reason.  The door frames.  It's like an old friend is back.  It feels like The Price is Right I grew up with.  It seems petty, and I have asked myself, if they never changed the door frames in the first place, would I have lost interest?