Author Topic: 2006 NHL Playoffs  (Read 48257 times)

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2006 NHL Playoffs
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2006, 07:06:41 PM »
First off, congratulations to the Hurricanes!  I'm really glad some of the veterans that have been in the NHL for ages finally get a taste of Lord Stanley.  Cam Ward deserved the Conn Smythe; he was brilliant.  And Alberta-born, too! :-)

I am most proud of my Oilers. (Heh, I sound like I own them.)  Barely squeaking by into the playoffs, then disposing the top-notch Wings, the sniping Sharks, and those quacking Ducks.  At least I was mentally prepared to bear the possibility of us losing, and this isn't such a blow.  They have given the city so much hope and inspiration, and it's been quite an amazing ride all through the playoffs.  

And when Roloson got injured, that pretty much sealed the faith.

Does anyone even bother to read what I wrote?  Roloson's injury may have thrown off some motivation, some confidence, but it was not his fault that we lost.  Markkanen, for a guy whose been sitting on the bench since March, did a fantastic job for what it's worth.  Missing Roli did not seal the FATE, but it certainly made us put more FAITH in the team.  

Until the next Stanley Cup Final...

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2006, 10:53:03 PM »
That's the thing... you guys didn't expect to get this far at all. You were probably prepared to lose to Detroit in the first round. So you've definitely had a great season. Like one of the commentators said last night, it's hard to realize it now, but you guys have accomplished a heck of a lot. Just when we thought we had you guys in five, you took us to seven, and made us sweat it out a bit in that final period. The young Oilers will be around for a while, that's for sure.

As for me, I'm headed to the parade in downtown Raleigh tomorrow afternoon. I'm really pumped for that. :-D

Offline CrimsonViper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #152 on: June 21, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
It's true.  After that first loss to Detroit, I thought it'd be a classic Dallas pounding, except with the Red Wings, of course.  Who knew, who knew.  

Breaking records and historical moments came along with the journey through the playoffs, but that took a backseat to chasing Stanley.  I still think it created a great amount of pressure on the Oilers to complete the task and top it all off with a grand victory, and that's probably why we failed to win the Cup.  

I should check out the festivities going on down at City Hall tomorrow.  Maybe I'll meet Roli! :-)

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:04 PM »
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v618/heelsrule1988/Carolina%20Hurricanes%20Downtown%20Raleigh%20Parade/ :-D

Considering the heat and the fact that they already had a parade at the RBC Center last night, this parade was short and sweet. I'd say it lasted about 30 minutes. The main stage was right in front of the Capitol Building in downtown Raleigh, and the players rode to the stage in cars down a half-mile parade route. I've got tons of pictures in that link above if you want to see them.