Author Topic: Alex Trebek in the Spotlight...for All the Wrong Reasons  (Read 5224 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Alex Trebek in the Spotlight...for All the Wrong Reasons
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 02:51:24 PM »
Moreover, is Trebek (or any host) even allowed to "console" contestants backstage?  Everything I've read seems to indicate that he talks to the players only briefly onstage during commercial breaks and any further interaction would be a violation of S&P.

I don't blame the kid so much for having an emotional reaction to a high-pressure situation.  I do blame her mother for having an attitude of entitlement.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
Moreover, is Trebek (or any host) even allowed to "console" contestants backstage?  Everything I've read seems to indicate that he talks to the players only briefly onstage during commercial breaks and any further interaction would be a violation of S&P.

I don't blame the kid so much for having an emotional reaction to a high-pressure situation.  I do blame her mother for having an attitude of entitlement.

I think he would be more concerned with speaking to them before (or during) the game as he might say something that would affect the game (since he works on the production of the games and knows what the answers are).

After the contestant has finished the game, I don't know what he could say that would cause any problem (as long as he was not in an area where other contestants yet to play are also around).

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
Personally, Kids Week has always been my least favorite week in Jeopardy! history. Any other tournament (as well as the regular play games) I can easily watch.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2014, 04:23:48 PM »
How long has Kids Week been on Jeopardy!? Fifteen years? He's never had to deal with something like this and I can't blame him for not wanting to start now. He treats every kid the same and I have to imagine that this girl was not the first one in Kids Week history to be in the negative come the Final.

Except we don't know this was the first case and from the way he's speaking it doesn't sound like it at all. This is just the first publicly leaked case.

I'm with Alex here. He shouldn't have to painted as wrong just to appease someone on a non-issue being turned into an issue.

Except he turned the non-issue into an issue by flying off the handle and threatening (as not a threat) to quit the show over a small request. Class-A Ego trip is what it sounds like, but everyone from the gameshow world will probably defend him due to the demographics and beliefs, but that's OK.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Guint

• Double Showcase Winner
  • ^ Top Notch Production Values ^
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
That's a very cynical and bizarre way of looking at it, and it's way out of line and unnecessarily inflammatory.

No, it's not. If you cannot handle the rules of the game, then you should not be able to play it. I don't care if you're twelve or seventy-three; I can understand if you're upset for losing, but then having your mother complain that Alex is not "caring enough" is incredibly ludicrous.

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
No, it's not. If you cannot handle the rules of the game, then you should not be able to play it. I don't care if you're twelve or seventy-three

And yet Check Game was and is still played on TPIR despite few people having a handle of its rules ;-)

I can understand if you're upset for losing, but then having your mother complain that Alex is not "caring enough" is incredibly ludicrous.

If you had worded your original comment like this, there'd be no problem. But the way you chose to word it in your original comment warranted Vader calling your viewpoint cynical and bizarre. And when you call a child a "spoiled brat", you kind of come across as a word that I'd rather not type here.

Think before you post. 

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 05:10:58 PM »
Except we don't know this was the first case and from the way he's speaking it doesn't sound like it at all. This is just the first publicly leaked case.
I think from the way he's speaking he's referring to instances in which he's been lambasted by the media for being stern with the rules. He was tired of having his character assassinated and told to let it blow over. He probably shouldn't care that much about people and a-holes who have the strained mental capacity to operate a Twitter or post in YouTube comments, but back in his day usually when he heard an opinion it was from someone important and he took it seriously. Now, he can hear everyone's opinion and might not know when, or want to, ignore them.

Except he turned the non-issue into an issue by flying off the handle and threatening (as not a threat) to quit the show over a small request. Class-A Ego trip is what it sounds like, but everyone from the gameshow world will probably defend him due to the demographics and beliefs, but that's OK.
He didn't turn it into an issue. It was turned into an issue when the mother raised a fuss over something that can and does happen regularly. It was turned into an issue when the show asked him to "retake" the segment in question as if he had somehow done something wrong by not running after the tearful child. That's when it became an issue. Not when he complained that he didn't like having his judgement second guessed. I'll agree that threatening to quit may be an overreaction, but this could've been the latest in grievances he felt needed to be addressed.

I'd like to give Alex the benefit of the doubt before I paint him as an egotistical drama queen.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:05:39 PM »
Think before you post. 

Hey pot, meet kettle.

Guinty may have been over the line, but that's for me to determine. Not you. We have rules against backseat moderating. We don't need (nor want) your help. If you have a problem with a post, use the "report post" button and let us deal with it, please.

All of you (yes, even you, Guinty)- calm down and post rationally, please, or this thread is over.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:09:40 PM by therealcu2010 »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JustBecause

• Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 06:32:35 PM »
Guinty may have been over the line, but that's for me to determine. Not you.

All of you (yes, even you, Guinty)- calm down and post rationally, please, or this thread is over.

Fair enough.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:25:55 PM »
I'd like to give Alex the benefit of the doubt before I paint him as an egotistical drama queen.

Would be nice if people would do the same for both the child & the mother.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 11:42:35 PM »
Let me make it clear that I'm not holding it against the child that she became emotional and cried after falling short on this stage. She's a kid, under an enormous amount of pressure, and she finished in an unwanted position even by adult standards.

I also understand a mother wanting to stick up for her child, as any mother would, but I'm questioning the ways through which she did that.

"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline jharvey79

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 07:03:19 AM »
Alex may have gotten upset at what was going on, but who wouldn't? In a way it is almost as if he is being attacked for how he hosts, and he has only been hosting the show forever. I don't know if this is just the one issue that got leaked and there were other instances, but this seems to be blown way out of proportion. Isn't Alex retiring after next year, anyway?
Will Plinko ever be won???

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
He didn't turn it into an issue. It was turned into an issue when the mother raised a fuss over something that can and does happen regularly. It was turned into an issue when the show asked him to "retake" the segment in question as if he had somehow done something wrong by not running after the tearful child.
More specifically, the segment the mother was referring to was his intro for the next episode. The producers wished for Alex to redo the segment so as to appease a mother who could turn him into a media sideshow once again due to perceived issues.

I should note that per the articles, the child herself recovered and even stayed in the studio to watch another taping.

That's when it became an issue. Not when he complained that he didn't like having his judgement second guessed. I'll agree that threatening to quit may be an overreaction, but this could've been the latest in grievances he felt needed to be addressed.
Alex never threatened to quit. He said that if he was going to continually be second-guessed and turned into a media sideshow for preposterous reasons that have everything to do with the media wishing to fill time by lambasting perceived errors rather than legitimate ones (and, further, being told by corporate and legal to "let it blow over" rather than address the issues at hand), then perhaps he should no longer be hosting.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 09:24:29 PM »
I almost started a separate thread on this, not realizing that this active one was already gaining lots of activity.

I am siding fully with Alex Trebek here. This is not the first time he has been lambasted by the National Enquirer, and it's not the first time for "Jeopardy!" I remember one a few years ago -- and it was discussed on GR-net, I believe -- where the magazine presented an "expose" on the "inner workings" of "Jeopardy!" ... such as the host being unable to socialize with contestants beforehand or not giving advice, several episodes being taped weeks in advance of airing (as opposed to airing live), etc.

I understand that these are tweens (meaning, 10-14 years old) and that it can be more unnerving when they don't do as well as expected. Many explanations exist, of course: a contestant is unable to master control of their signaling device, the material is harder than expected, the other contestants are quicker and faster at answering questions (and sometimes have a broader knowledge base, even at age 13) ... and so often is the case with adults, they have "stage fright."

Of course, we don't know exactly why the little girl didn't do well on this day, and it's understandable that they probably left the stage in near tears. It's human. Even adults have done so. I recall the former game show contestant, who wrote an entire book back in the 1980s about getting on game shows, relating her experience on "Card Sharks" ... how she lost her air of confidence and suffered from extreme fright ... and lost very quickly, and then, shortly after leaving the stage, she broke down in tears.

The little girl's mother, however, is who I'm disgusted with. Writing a note lambasting Trebek and the show's staff, et al., about how the situation was handled -- bah! First of all, as others have pointed out, this is hardly the first time a child contestant has been eliminated before "Final Jeopardy!" (Of course, we don't know how those contestants handled not being able to participate in "Final" ... and it doesn't really matter, anyway.) It's the game's rule. Except for perhaps "Celebrity Jeopardy!" I have never seen a game's rules changed just to accommodate "special groups." You lose, life goes on. But oh, no, mommy has to make a big stink about it.

And the thing is, it isn't because Alex Trebek is a jerk or anything that he isn't personally consoling losing contestants. Standards and Practices likely prohibits this, as has been pointed out. All that can be done is for the girl to have her cry, try to learn from the experience and grow stronger from it. She probably can ... if mommy will let her special-wecial girl do so.

Instead of complaining, she can simply relate how many of life's greatest losers became greats. For instance, look at how many times Abraham Lincoln lost ... political races, jobs ... and then became perhaps the greatest U.S. President. Or for how many successes Thomas Edison had, how many times he failed at making prototypes of such things as the light bulb or phonograph work. The conservative author and commentator Charles Sykes once wrote that Mother Theresa once misapplied a bandage on a sick person ... and (after briefly cussing the situation to herself) reapplied the bandages and helped comfort the person. And the list goes on.

This is hardly going to be the worst thing that happens to this little girl. It may suck right now, but it will get better.

As for Trebek, I hope this blows over and then we can move on. Sad to say, some people are persistent, and in the digital social age these days, it's more difficult for that to happen.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
No, it's not. If you cannot handle the rules of the game, then you should not be able to play it. I don't care if you're twelve or seventy-three; I can understand if you're upset for losing, but then having your mother complain that Alex is not "caring enough" is incredibly ludicrous.

The problem started near the end of the show when the contestant was in the red — making her unable to play in the Final Jeopardy round.

“She was visibly upset” and ran backstage crying with her mother, a producer writes in the emails. The producer and her mother eventually calmed the girl and she returned to the set to watch the taping of another episode from the audience. But the mother wrote in a letter to producers that she “was quite a bit taken back” with Trebek’s reaction.

According to the mom, Trebek didn’t ever console the girl backstage. “If he had taken the time, he would have known, like you do, that my daughter is not a sore loser, and does not become emotional solely over losing a game,” the woman wrote. “She was upset about not being able to completely play the game to the end.”

“I don’t think I’ll ever forgive him for that,” the girl’s mom wrote in a letter to Jeopardy! producers.

Again, how are we arriving at a point having anything to do with the rules? This mother is upset that Alex didn't do anything to console her daughter after she lost, and she probably embarrassed herself by running off. I don't think he has any obligation to either of them, but let's not get the issues confounded here. Nobody said anything about wanting her to be able to play Final Jeopardy.