Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/20/2015  (Read 13338 times)

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/20/2015
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
Today was the first show since 4/30/12 where both car players spun last, but lost their PGs.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 02:07:34 AM »
...and Drew responds with "I'm not an a**hole; I just tell it how it is." He lost most support from the crowd at that point.

I'm curious if the audience actually cheered his being called an a-hole.  Had I been there I would have started a rousing round of applause for that. 

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:32 AM »
Here's something to think about: This was 5 years and 5 days when we had a similar thing happened back on 1/15/10 aka #4995K.........But at least this time, there was no obscure garage band as a special guest.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
Double Prices and Make Your Move would be the easiest games in my opinion.

Not when its played for two prizes instead of one which suddenly makes it more challenging. Treadmills and saunas can wildly vary in price.

Nothing won in the PGs except for a couple SPs and a C-Note. No perfect bid or money on the Big Wheel. And the ninth person called to CR wasting herself with a $1 bid.

That said, considering the second showcase was pretty much forced to not be an overbid (the CSS results reflect this), Drew being a bit off resulting in below average crowd energy, and harder-than average PG setups, this show is definitely in the not for rerun camp and it sure felt like a nightmare!

Show Grade: D-
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:53 PM »
Wow, that exchange between Drew and the woman must have made the rest of the taping rather uncomfortable for the entire audience. Did she get up and leave or did she stay for the rest of the taping? How did the rest of the audience react to it?

I can't even believe that story. Dare I say it but, I suspect that exchanges like that were rare, if ever, during the Barker years.

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Hopefully this episode can just disappear from existence. Beyond rough luck in Plinko to top it all.

I'm curious if the audience actually cheered his being called an a-hole.  Had I been there I would have started a rousing round of applause for that.

What if it were Bob being called that, due to one of many possible reasons he might be?
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 10:49:18 PM »
The audience certainly did not cheer. Not everyone shares the same anti-Drew sentiment as some of the board. Most were just shocked an audience member was so blunt about her feelings.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 02:24:03 AM »
As some of you know, Drew entertains the crowd during "commercials" by asking them questions and interviewing select contestants. One of the women he chose celebrated her birthday that day (go figure), so Drew retorts with "oh, so how much do you weigh?" Drew explained that it's rude to ask a woman how old she is, so he asks that instead. I get the point, but this woman did not take it well, calling him inappropriate. Drew then asks "so what's your favorite position, honey?" while feigning smoking a cigarette like the old comics used to do. Said woman calls him an a**hole at that time, and Drew responds with "I'm not an a**hole; I just tell it how it is." He lost most support from the crowd at that point.

Yeah, no...if Drew's literally talking that way with members of the audience (Drew, this is a game show taping, not a comedy club), CBS and Fremantle should probably be looking into a new host.  Absolutely uncalled for on his part.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »
Yeah, no...if Drew's literally talking that way with members of the audience (Drew, this is a game show taping, not a comedy club), CBS and Fremantle should probably be looking into a new host. Absolutely uncalled for on his part.
Fixed that for you, madam -- CBS hired Drew, CBS has him under contract, and CBS is the one paying this a**hole millions of dollars a year to draw in viewers (as Nina Tassler had made it quite clear when he was hired that hosting ability or lack thereof was irrelevant).

This kind of behavior is nothing particularly new, sadly, as Roger noted in the interviews with him a while back by "Slow Boat to the Land of Parting Gifts". Further, as Roger noted in the aforementioned interviews, Drew is mostly playing to the studio audience.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:40:10 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline whewfan

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:19 AM »
Drew still uses that exchange about the age and weight? Geez. He asked that question to a contestant during the first season as host! On one hand, it's interesting that the audience member didn't realize he was kidding, but also, Drew should've found a better way to get out of that awkward moment and win his audience back.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
Drew still uses that exchange about the age and weight? Geez. He asked that question to a contestant during the first season as host! On one hand, it's interesting that the audience member didn't realize he was kidding, but also, Drew should've found a better way to get out of that awkward moment and win his audience back.

Exactly! I'm interested in how she didn't realize it was a joke... But Drew should have stopped when he realizes she didn't get it.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:16 AM »

What if it were Bob being called that, due to one of many possible reasons he might be?

If Bob had ever acted that way and I had been there or that story had been told then vadernader I most certainly would have been just as upset.

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 03:13:33 PM »
*Did Drew think at the time of this taping that he was doing improv??   :-o

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 06:38:39 PM »
Keep in mind that he is a comedian, people. You don't expect certain comedians like Drew to be clean-cut all the time........He's not Jeff Foxworthy.  :P 

But despite that inappropriate joke he made, I don't think he should be at fault entirely............However, he should tell people like her that he's only joking next time, so that way no one else will get the wrong idea.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:43:37 PM by PriceBusterXL »

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 10:39:27 AM »
Exactly! I'm interested in how she didn't realize it was a joke... But Drew should have stopped when he realizes she didn't get it.

I agree, although I'm sure he was taken aback.  I doubt anyone has ever reacted so humorlessly to that particular joke before.  It's considered so innocuous, the show has posted it online before.