Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/26/2015  (Read 15514 times)

Offline vadernader

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Do The Harlem Shake.
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/26/2015
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »
The rule is 10 years from air date. 10 years from tape date was her issue.

Wha? I'm almost 99% sure the rule is 10 years from tape date, or else Percy (taped 1/8/02 originally, 2nd appearance taped 1/17/12) should never have been picked again...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:36:23 PM by vadernader »
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better." - Sydney J. Harris

“For the premiere of season 30, CBS wanted to do a special primetime show. However, they asked that we also add a gimmick or a twist to make it truly special. I came up with the suggestion of taking the show on the road for the first time in its history." - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »
Wha? I'm almost 99% sure the rule is 10 years from tape date, or else Percy (taped 1/8/02 originally, 2nd appearance taped 1/17/12) should never have been picked again...

I got this from Torgo (and even asked him to look it over), look at him for this.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 05:00:17 PM »
I don't see why Percy wouldn't have been eligible either way, as it appears his first show was aired Feb 19, 2002, and his second was aired Feb 23, 2012.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 05:16:22 PM »
Dang, I missed the show 'cause of Patriots coverage.

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »
I hope there's a Youtube video of this $20,000 Time is Money win sometime soon!

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »

There already is, thankfully! Courtesy of TVLubber3 on YouTube:
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline DJTorgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 05:34:24 PM »
There already is, thankfully! Courtesy of TVLubber3 on YouTube:

Or you could support the real show.

I'm convinced my selection as a contestant was a fluke. Several factors probably contributed to this:

- The show taped on Veterans Day, and the crowd definitely skewed older than my taping the day earlier.

- My interview with Stan. He asked us what our favorite game was on the show. A paraphrased version of my interview follows. (This is not meant to act as a guide regarding how to get on the show.

Stan: "What do you do for a living?"
Me: "I'm a DJ."
Stan: "You mean like a wicki-wicki DJ?" (this mimics a record sound)
Me: "I can be whatever kind of DJ you want if you pay me enough."
*everyone laughs*
Stan: "What's your favorite game?"
Me: "10 Chances"
Stan: "Why is that? Not many people say 10 Chances."
Me: "I think it makes for good TV when the answers clearly end in zero, yet the contestants can never figure it out."
Stan: "Thanks for telling everyone how to win the game."
Me: *looks down the line at the rest of the contestants* "You're welcome!"
Stan: "Have you figured out the secret to Pay the Rent yet?"
Me: "Has anyone?"
*everyone laughs*

I'll go into the whole "ineligible contestant" aspect later.

When the doors opened to reveal Do the Math, Janie bolted directly in toward the center board, thinking the game was touch-screen. They obviously re-shot that, for I think she blocked the camera. She was incredibly nice backstage after the show. My girlfriend aced this game, claiming that since Alexander McQueen died a few years back, his products would be more expensive.

William was a whole lot of fun, and he was in line near me. I was fortunate that Lucky Seven was the only game that repeated tapings, but man, both were difficult. I may have lucked out and aced the 1/20 game, but there was no way I was winning this. At this point, I felt like I was a bad omen; the show was 0/8 with me in the audience.

Suzanne was a great player, but she told me afterwards as we were signing waivers that she was a little confused with the game. "I thought I had to get them between $20 and $21!" Eh, you win some, you lose some. Time Is Money looks amazing in real life, and the crowd was in silent shock when she won, mostly because most of the people didn't know she had won. There isn't a clear sign of victory until a few seconds in with the doors lighting up, so people were a little lost. If you rewatch the episode, you can hear the audience noise die down after a few seconds of cheering; that is the proper level of audience we were providing. The best part of that experience was watching every crew member look like they collectively passed a brick through their colons when Suzanne won on the first try.

Marc told me afterwards that he was listening to me during Flip Flop - I mean, we've seen that island dozens of times - but he may have just been nice.

Margarida was so nice. She's Canadian, and during the Showcases, the crew brought her husband down to Contestant's Row with the rest of us. I'd like to think I helped them with their Showcases: I believe I bid 32/30 in studio; I definitely led an audience-wide game of Guess the Boat.

After That's Too Much!, there was a stopdown for about 10-15 minutes, and I saw them repositioning the cameras. I was confused as to what was going on; I swore up and down that Shell Game would be sixth thanks to my mental FPG timings. I didn't even care about making it on stage; I was having too much fun. I got to see the first Time Is Money win! Drew was much better than the day before, and I met some fascinating veterans in line.

Then suddenly, things changed.

"YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!"
"...Designer Sunglasses."
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I bid $900 because I had no idea about the brand, and when I heard $950 and $951, I felt like I wasted my chance ... and then we took a dive. Hearing that $725 was the previous lowest bid, I figured the glasses were somewhere in the $600-$700 range, and when my magic number is $671, I couldn't bypass the opportunity. To this day, Megan jokingly berates me how easy Bonus Game was, and if I'd only known the sunglasses, she'd be sipping on drinks in Aruba.

They made George retape the speaking parts of Showcase #1 because he couldn't stop eating the chocolate. Adam told him to enunciate more, so George STUFFED his face and tried reading it that way.

I didn't find out about the prior eligibility until after the show. They take all nine of the contestants backstage to make us sign releases and waivers; each of the seats features the cue card with our name on it. Each of these cue cards features a number from #1 to #9.

Except I didn't have a cue card.

The leftover cue card reads "Tracy Johnson" with a red #8 in the left corner. Margarida had the #9 card. The woman backstage said that Tracy wasn't called down because she was ineligible due to being a contestant just shy of the 10 years required. I believe she said that Tracy thought the 10-year limit only meant air dates and not tape dates, but, to be honest, everything post-calldown is a bit of a blur.

Needless to say, I possess Tracy Johnson's cue card ... with my name hastily written on the back by the crew member. :-)

Also, forgive me, but sometimes chat speaks for itself...

[wildbill0962]: our final player
[DJTorgo]: so
[wildbill0962]: is none other than...
[DJTorgo]: They had to get a replacement
[wildbill0962]: MICHAEL MANOS!!!!
[DJTorgo]: And they decided on me
[wildbill0962]: YES, IT'S HIM
[thepriceis_J]: LOOK WHO IT IS
[thepriceis_J]: LOOK
[Wayoshi]: DOTRGO
[SuperSweeper]: NO
[Wayoshi]: DJTORGO
[SuperSweeper]: NO
[FPGWillyT]: nice!!!!
[vadernader]: LOL
[wildbill0962]: IT'S DJTORGO COMIN ON DOWN
[SuperSweeper]: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
[thepriceis_J]: LOOK WHO IT IS
[pannoni1]: COME ON DOWN!
[prizes22]: Classy comedown
[Cephas]: NICE!!!!!
[vadernader]: BOOM
[PhatBoi504]: look at Torgo
[prizes22]: Nice smiles
[OneBidTris]: Super cool
[wildbill0962]: IUFB6: Designer sunglasses
[Wayoshi]: WIN THIS OB DJTORGO
[FieldsFan336]: Torgo gets a gold star!
[scoot1105]: DJ!!!!!
[vadernader]: Plinko
[bloier2006]: Congrats!
[vadernader]: he's screwed
[FPGWillyT]: give that man a STAR~!!!
[pannoni1]: Even rule!
[vadernader]: sunglasses FTL
[CrossTraffic]: congrats!
[pannoni1]: $600
[Hag]: $600
[wildbill0962]: 2 sets of wayfairs for him, round style for her from Spy
[scoot1105]: 650
[PriceBusterXL]: World Star! Oh...............I mean, "Gold Star"!
[OneBidTris]: $800
[Wayoshi]: DON'T 1-UP DJTORGO
[VoidThatCheck]: 901 HAHAHA
[vadernader]: 1110
[scoot1105]: DJ!!!!!!
[wildbill0962]: (from yellow) 900 / 725 / 950 / 951
[VoidThatCheck]: oh carp
[wildbill0962]: DIVE DIVE DIVE
[SuperSweeper]: YES
[FPGWillyT]: my God you are Josh Salisbury's twin
[SuperMatch93]: DIVE DIVE DIVE
[WhammyPower788]: DIVE! DIVE!
[PhatBoi504]: DIVE
[SuperSweeper]: STILL ALVIE
[PhatBoi504]: DIVE
[pannoni1]: Aired overbid get
[OneBidTris]: $600
[Hag]: Still 600
[FieldsFan336]: DIVE! DIVE!
[prizes22]: You got in a rare overbid aired
[thepriceis_J]: SECOND CHANCE SALOON
[scoot1105]: DIV DIVE DIVE!
[vadernader]: ALIVE BOYS
[SuperSweeper]: *ALive
[SuperMatch93]: Were there multiple overs?
[vadernader]: 675
[PhatBoi504]: Dive Torgo
[thepriceis_J]: AIRED OB GET
[prizes22]: ahahah
[PGS25]: $695
[Wayoshi]: YES
[SuperSweeper]: GET
[SuperSweeper]: GET
[thepriceis_J]: 671 WIN
[WhammyPower788]: 671!
[Cephas]: WIN!!!
[thepriceis_J]: YES
[OneBidTris]: Yay
[WhammyPower788]: YES!
[DJTorgo]: :)
[thepriceis_J]: :clap:
[wildbill0962]: 671!!!!1 / 498 / 500 / 501
[prizes22]: Well Plinko played
[CrossTraffic]: 671?
[wildbill0962]: ARP: $610
[wildbill0962]: dammit
[wildbill0962]: dammmit
[thepriceis_J]: GOD DAMMIT
[wildbill0962]: DAMMIT
[thepriceis_J]: DAMMIT
[OneBidTris]: Aww
[thepriceis_J]: DAMMIT
[scoot1105]: OUCH!!
[PhatBoi504]: aw
[prizes22]: Awww, right idea. :(
[VoidThatCheck]: SUNUVA
[Wayoshi]: *swears*
[wildbill0962]: SIT DOWN AARON
[Hag]: Darn
[corneliuscarter]: aww
[vadernader]: AWWWWWWWWWW
[wildbill0962]: SCREW THIS
[pannoni1]: DARN!
[scoot1105]: OH MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
[SuperSweeper]: sobs
[FieldsFan336]: Ya-aw!
[pannoni1]: Nice reaction though for Aaron
[goldroadfanatic]: Hmmm
[thepriceis_J]: Plinko ING SUNGLASSES
[wildbill0962]: AARON IS GOING TO NOT WIN THIS PRIZE
[corneliuscarter]: Hey, at least he got called on down.
[scoot1105]: You ok DJ?
[bloier2006]: Well, $300 for five minutes work
[wildbill0962]: naw, I'm kidding
[PhatBoi504]: Well Torgo have to wait 10 years
[FPGWillyT]: golden roaders religiously get called way late
[prizes22]: And you get what, $300?
[wildbill0962]: Aaron is going to try to win a trip to Aruba
[G-R Daytime Chat]: FPGWillyT has left at 11:37 am
[OneBidTris]: At least you win something
[pannoni1]: I'd take $300 over a pair of $600 sunglasses though
[PriceBusterXL]: Aww................Well, we know what Torgo looks like.
[prizes22]: Tell JAden that, Willy-but different era, in fairness.
[VoidThatCheck]: did you get RICE A RONI
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:42:55 PM by DJTorgo »
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Richie

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 06:07:07 PM »
DJ Torgo :  1) When Time is Money was being played, what was your arrangement of the products?

2) I wonder if they taxed your $300 consolation money.

One more thing...congrats on being picked.  I've been to three tapings and I have not been picked at all.  That's all I'm saying.

Offline jimlange

• 2/20/2008
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • I am a TPIR Greek GOD!!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
DJ Torgo :  1) When Time is Money was being played, what was your arrangement of the products?

2) I wonder if they taxed your $300 consolation money.

One more thing...congrats on being picked.  I've been to three tapings and I have not been picked at all.  That's all I'm saying.

He'll have to report the money for tax purposes, but he didn't win enough to be taxed.  You have to win at least $500 for the winnings to be taxed.  Congrats on being picked DJTorgo!!  Welcome to the club!!

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
... Somebody won Time I$ Money?!

Good job to the production staff for giving us the clangs and whoops for an exacta.

And it's always good to put a face with the name.  Hello, DJTorgo! :-)
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
The best part of that experience was watching every crew member look like they collectively passed a brick through their colons when Suzanne won on the first try.
...As if they did not actually have $20,000 to give away, or because they expected the audience to react better than they had?

The woman backstage said that Tracy wasn't called down because she was ineligible due to being a contestant just shy of the 10 years required. I believe she said that Tracy thought the 10-year limit only meant air dates and not tape dates, but, to be honest, everything post-calldown is a bit of a blur.
I would say that using the tapedate as a benchmark would be considerably less headache-inducing since episodes can (and very much do!) air so wildly out-of-order. They should make the 10-year rule a bit more clear, however.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:33 PM »

Me, too. I hope to see that episode in full length.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/video/ui9lHcMiPUG2xTkADGVnG_XWeLu0NtSq/the-price-is-right-1-26-2015/

The show's been posted online every day for the past eight years, dude...where have you been?
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2015, 08:25:30 PM »

http://www.cbs.com/shows/the_price_is_right/video/ui9lHcMiPUG2xTkADGVnG_XWeLu0NtSq/the-price-is-right-1-26-2015/

The show's been posted online every day for the past eight years, dude...where have you been?

For me at least, Canada...

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
That was one of the meanest Lucky Seven setups of the season, if not the meanest. This was taped before the X-Mas shows so I have no clue why they were so tight-pursed there.

That was also wasn't the nicest Time is Money setup either. Certainly not one that could be aced. I would've lost thinking that the Milk Bones were above $6. On top of that, I thought the Cracker Jacks were a trap and that bag was more than $3. Glad that wasn't the case.

I LOVE what they have been doing with these new doors. The bright blue panels during the Pay the Rent reveal, and now the bright green panels for this win. I really hope they do an ERITH (rare, but not extinct...yet) or revive Main Street (perhaps as a Price is Right Mall for modernity) just to see those doors on a completely darkened set. I would absolutely kill to see that.

Damn shame you couldn't make it up to play Bonus Game, Torgo. After some of the other setups during the show, this was probably the easiest.

I don't know if Stan still does it, or if they've passed along duties to their DJ, but whoever chose the cues did a damn fine job today. Pretty on point.

Anyone for a poorly-made meme?
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.