Author Topic: The Nighttime Price is Right (James), 1976  (Read 17689 times)

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: The Nighttime Price is Right (James), 1976
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2015, 01:29:38 AM »
Unfortunately, the Grocery Game segment was all by itself on a demo reel that Dennis had put together to showcase him (sorry about the pun) in all venues - telethons, talk shows, commercials, and game shows. That's all there is of that particular program - it was the first thing I screened from the big box.
Ah, I see. My apologies.

Unfortunately the bulk of Dennis' TPIR shows are on that 1/2-inch helical scan Sony tape which is not only obsolete, but they don't have the VTR that recorded all of them anymore.
Hm. The only suggestion which comes to mind is contacting Kevin Segura, who has transferred many things over the years from what I can tell and goes by the name "TwoInchQuad" on various sites, including The Game Show Forum. I believe he has a YouTube channel here, although nothing has been done with it in quite some time.

If we can get those transferred, it will give us access to the first three years of Nighttime TPIR as it was aired.
And which shall be quite fascinating to see, no doubt. I wish you the best of success in finding a way to transfer the shows. :-)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:38:34 AM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
Unfortunately the bulk of Dennis' TPIR shows are on that 1/2-inch helical scan Sony tape which is not only obsolete, but they don't have the VTR that recorded all of them anymore.  If we can get those transferred, it will give us access to the first three years of Nighttime TPIR as it was aired.

Your work to preserve and share these recordings is much appreciated. As for the half-inch open-reel videotapes, a few archivists have working machines and offer recovery services. DC Video in Burbank and Greentree AV in Illinois come to mind. But I imagine it would be necessary to start a fundraising campaign to pay for the transfers.

http://dcvideo.com/ql-obsolete-eiaj-1.php

http://greentreeav.com/eiajreels

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
I imagine it would be necessary to start a fundraising campaign to pay for the transfers.

For the sake of preserving television history and making it accessible to the game show community, I'd pony up some cash; and I'd like to think others would too.

Realistically, though, what would the expense for such a project be?  If the "first three years" referred to means the first three seasons, we're looking at 117 episodes.  Considering this is probably the only way we will ever see The Nighttime Price Is Right again, even if the transfers were done a few at a time over the course of several years, every little bit would be much appreciated.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.