Author Topic: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2006  (Read 20663 times)

Online Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: FULL RECAP - TPiR 05/29/2006
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »
I still think it's silly they felt they needed to put a PSA in on having a trip to New Orleans, but anyway...

I wasn't surprised that Ida lost Range Game.  She stopped the Range Finder way too quickly.

"Three, one, two," now, there's a new way to direct Eazy as 1 2 3.

Bah, they had to cut the ticket plug, did they?  Oh, well, at least they left the midshow bumper in. :-)

Wow, Now...or Then was played on this episode.  So, that means the price flaps got their current colours on this playing.

I don't remember Rich using that low voice in the later First Bank of Price Showcases.  It certanily made it interesting.

Uh...WOW, I assume I was probably as surprised as the rest of you were when the real credits began rolling.  I don't know what brought that on, but thank you, CBS!
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 03:43:42 PM »
Honest to God, it felt like this day was never going to get here.  And it was worth the wait, too...Bob was in top form this morning.

It's too bad Anthony didn't win Switcheroo, because he actually seemed to be playing it correctly (if not necessarily well).

Did anybody else get the sense that Bob and Dorothy weren't quite having the same conversation during the 2nd IUFB?  I was so worried that that price was going to wind up being $1,475...

I swear to God, I thought Ida had a chance at winning Range Game.  I didn't know the show used any spas that were in five figures...I thought Roger might actually have put the price just a little above where the rangefinder started.

I got a real kick out of Bob letting Darren keep up the barefoot thing through the whole show.

I was very impressed that Dorothy won 1 Right Price, especially since she seemed to be the only person in the whole place who had the right answer.  Honestly, I would have won because I thought $3,655 was too high for New Orleans.

There's a small set change in Now....or Then involving the colors of the stripes at the tops and bottoms of the price flaps that I can now confirm took place on this episode.

Evan seemed to me like someone who'd planned to go to the show and make a spectacle of himself and then couldn't quite bring himself to go through with it when he actually got called.  Even his $420 bid didn't bother me as much as it usually does (probably because he was able to contrive an explanation for it).

Incidentally, did anyone notice during the Showcase that they never took down the Now....or Then sign?

I wonder if they're going to do any more First Bank of Price showcases.  This was actually the first of the two they've done, but the second one was all the way back on December 16.

And of course, there was that moment at the very end that, even if not a single thing had been won today and the contestants were all jerks, would have made the whole show worthwhile -- THE REAL CREDITS!!!  This is the first time they've been seen on the East Coast since December 25, 2002.  Anyone know if they were shown in the Pacific Time Zone, too?

(For what it's worth, I check the end of The Young and the Restless today to see if its credits were aired.  They weren't. )

In all seriousness, does anyone know what happened with Dorothy's trip to New Orleans?

ssetta wrote:

I actually wondered about the credit roll too! How come they decided to do one for this particular show? The other unusual thing I noticed was at the end of the first SCSD, it cut away right after Bob said "You'll be in the Showcase at the end of the show," with no announcement or ticket plug.

I would imagine the ticket plug was edited out to make time for Senator Landrieu.  In fact, they cut off the mid-show bumper early, too.  (...but God, was it good to see that again.)

EDIT:  Actually, could anyone maybe post up a video of the mid-show bumper?  It seems WTAJ has started cutting it off again.

BobboChung wrote:

One Away: Easy for those who knew it was $19,834, hard for those who don't.

How insightful.

BobboChung wrote:

Showcases: Neither one bid very well on their showcase, so I didn't even bother watching the final segment

Well, then you sorta screwed yourself over, didn't you?

catdogwheel wrote:

Plus I'm surprised we still had one remaining "lost" episode. It was nice to see a new ep considering this is Memorial Day and most shows are showing reruns.

1.)  Neither of the delayed episodes had been aired before today.  The first one isn't airing until June 12.

2.)  There would have been a new show today, anyway.  Today's episode isn't airing until June 26.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline pathfinder2119

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Me immortalized as a South Park character
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »
Today's show was very good, and I definitely feel that it was worth the wait.

Since Ida stopped the range finder too early in Range Game, it was no surprise that she lost.

One of the coolest things about the show was that we got to see the full credits for the first time in a few years!

Offline rugrats1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 04:55:02 PM »
they cut off the mid-show bumper early, too. (...but God, was it good to see that again.)

EDIT: Actually, could anyone maybe post up a video of the mid-show bumper? It seems WTAJ has started cutting it off again.

Maybe WTAJ has gotten used to the shorter bumpers Bob made himself lately, that they cut away as soon as Bob finished saying "There's more PIR coming up".

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 05:00:52 PM »
rugrats1 wrote:

Maybe WTAJ has gotten used to the shorter bumpers Bob made himself lately, that they cut away as soon as Bob finished saying "There's more PIR coming up".

I doubt it -- they never had any problems when they reran the third week of the season back in March.  I'm starting to think maybe somebody had Memorial Day off and the sub screwed it up.  Besides, I have a pretty good idea that CBS chewed them out for this back in January.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 05:52:24 PM »
This is one day that I normally don't post. But, I should.

It was nice to see Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana), come on before today's show to talk about New Orleans,and her home state of Louisiana. It is has been 9 months since those 2 horrible hurricanes.  But, New Orleans is rebuilding.

We pray for the people of New Orleans, and those who have been affected by the hurricanes.  God Bless the City of New Orleans.

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 07:16:25 PM »
PG #1 - *sigh* I hate it when contestants claim they know how to play a game, then ask Bob to go over the rules one more time.  $83 for a friggin' sandwich maker?!

One-Bid #2 - I'm pretty sure Dorothy said $1,375.  But that's an irrelevant point...

PG #2 - That was a dumb place to stop.  The bottom end of the range finder didn't even pass the top end of the starting point.

PG #3 - Joy... it's Sleazy again.  :roll:

PG #4 - Hello, New Orleans!  :-)  Wow, I never would've guessed New Orleans was that expensive!  Or more expensive than D.C.  I had $3,655 on N.O., thinking D.C. was around $5,000.

One-Bid #5 - Hey, Scorpz!  There's a Kimberly for the Amazing Race!  (Two weeks late, but still... :-P )  Whoa, what's going on here?!  Three perfect bids!  This is turning into a Golden-Road.net Live Show!  :-D

One-Bid #6 - That was interesting to hear the pool table cue for a bar set.

Showcases - It's time for CSS--with special guest Mary Landrieu!  :-P  OK, those two bids sucked royally.  Joanna's bid didn't even cover the boat, and Darren's bid barely covered the piano.

My bids - FRBS:  $29,850.  Random room/piano:  $17,000. (OUCH!  Over by $21!  :-( )

Addendum - Outside of the New Orleans trip, the three perfect bids, and Dorothy, today's show was average at best.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 08:54:21 PM »
Digital cable was out in my area this morning, so I recorded an entire hour of black screen... pitty!

If anyone can send me a copy of today's show on DVD, please contact me so whe can arrange something!

That's one show I didn't wanna miss... I knew they would run the entire roll!

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »
I agree, it was pretty cool to see the normal roll of credits.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline iluvpir

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 09:16:59 PM »

djsquare wrote:I knew they would run the entire roll!

How did you know they would?

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:48:12 PM »
Pricing Game Length:
The time of the game begins at the moment a prize is revealed for the game, or the game itself is intentionally shown.

Switcheroo -- 3:52
Range Game -- 1:22
Eazy az 1-2-3 -- 2:10
1 Right Price -- 1:48
Now... or Then -- 2:19
One Away -- 3:09

SteveGavazzi wrote:
Incidentally, did anyone notice during the Showcase that they never took down the Now....or Then sign?

Actually, yes!

Offline JasonA1

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 10:57:35 PM »
Today's was a good edition. I really like "First Bank of Price" showcases because it has its own prop and reminds me of the good ol' days. My play along score was so-so, but I did manage a perfect 5 in Switcheroo. I was with Steve though too, I thought D.C. was the 1 Right Price because it was too expensive for the typical New Orleans trip. Three perfect bids? Wowzer. And yes, full credits to boot!

-Jason

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 11:17:03 PM »
About the credit roll: It was so happy to see it again.  It got Rich a lot of camera, the most ever at the end of a show.  

Maybe CBS did the full credit roll because of the New Orleans events.  They wanted to show some respect for the New Orleans residents, so instead of having the promos, they did the credits instead.  

I'm guessing we'll see the hated split screen credits tomorrow, but have the full credit on the 2nd New Orleans episode next month.

This is a GUESS.  Hopefully somebody will have a concrete answer.

Offline CaseyBuck

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 12:20:58 AM »
Man, of all the days I had to miss Price, I missed the one with the full credits.  :-x

Anyone have a video capture?  :-)

Offline RG

• In the Audience
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 01:16:47 AM »
When Bob plugs a Million Dollar Spectacular, they often edit the show to dump right to a break after a Showcase Showdown to make up the time.  They probably dumped out today because of the senator's introduction.

Be sure to tune in on June 12th when the other New Orleans episode airs.  It will likely be the last time we get to see the mid-show bumper on a new episode.

I was mildly amused that the trip to Washington, D.C. was on Independence Air since they went out of business.  It seems the trips today were cursed.

I had to rewind my DVR when I heard the Fremantle stinger at the end of the show.  I didn't even notice they had the full credits.  Now how cool would it be if on June 12th, not only do they show the full credits, but it's a long credit roll?