Author Topic: 2015 Game Show Turdament -- Round of 32  (Read 10226 times)

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
Re: 2015 Game Show Turdament -- Round of 32
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:06 PM »
Bleh. That's how I feel about this first match-up. Should probably be a sweet 16 match-up at least. Wink is the better host, I think Sex Wars is a slightly better idea, and perhaps even more of a game show than Instant Recall is. This is tough because I really don't love either. Going to go 6-5 in favor of Sex Wars.

500 Questions has at least some merit. I can't find any in Moment of Truth, except MAYBE a better host, but even then I don't think he's at his best. 10-1 in favor of 500 Questions.

Due to no Love Buffet knowledge, have to skip the third match.

Now this one. This one is interesting. Couldn't vote on The Chamber last time due to its opponent, so this is the first time I get to commentate on it. It's certainly I'd say way too intense for my liking, if it were toned down, I think it'd be on the same level as The Chair, not great but not acceptable. On the other hand, Taboo is a very very hard pill to swallow. It's just so in your face, so out there that I don't know how too many people can sit through it. This is another one that could really go either way. On the sole basis that I think one has a little more game to it, 6-5 in favor of Taboo, but I'm not happy sending either of them home.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
I'm not big on battle of the sexes type shows, and I found Instant Recall more appealing.

Instant Recall - 8
Sex Wars - 3

Moment of Truth was just a bad idea. 500 Questions was a typical quiz show, but I do like Richard Quest as host.

500 Questions - 10
Moment of Truth - 1

I'll have to abstain from the third pair, not having seen Love Buffet.

The last pair are pretty evenly bad in thier own ways. The Chamber was too sadistic and Taboo was too hyper.

Taboo - 6
The Chamber - 5
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 10:28:51 PM »
Sex Wars vs Instant Recall: Pass since I've never seen Sex Wars.

Moment of Truth vs 500 Questions: Moment of Truth wasn't the worst show, but I don't like shows that bring out the worst in its contestants.  Sometimes it was just downright tacky.  500 Questions could've been a very good show with better execution.  I didn't think it was terrible, but the hosting was pretty poor and it was not nearly as intense as advertised.  Still, it's better than Moment of Truth was.  Moment of Truth- 3 500 Questions- 8

Let's Make a Deal 2003 vs Burt Luddin's Love Buffet: LMaD 2003 was definitely a trainwreck of a revival.  I thought it was OK when I first watched it, but it makes the current version look really good in comparison.  Love Buffet was just dumb, so I can't give it the win despite LMaD 2003 being such a bad revival.  Let's Make a Deal 2003- 7 Love Buffet- 4

Chamber vs Taboo: Chamber was just odd, and the hosting was terrible.  Taboo was bad all the way around, and the distractions were just a really corny and stupid addition.  I'm gonna give the edge to Chamber since it was kind of interesting to see how contestants handled the elements at least.  Chamber- 9 Taboo- 2

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
Sex Wars vs Instant Recall: Pass since I've never seen Sex Wars.

If you go back to its last match-up, there is a full episode of Sex Wars on YouTube. Whether it'll be enough to determine your vote is another story, but it's out there.
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »
Pass on the first match as I couldn't get through Sex Wars without cringing. I can't judge fairly without seeing the whole episode.

While 500 Questions could have been so much better, nothing could have saved Moment of Truth from being the mess it was. In all honesty, I just can't find anything moral about it. I still have to take points off due to 500 Questions' horrible execution.

500 Questions 7-4 over Moment of Truth.

I don't consider the 2003 revival of Let's Make a Deal to be a ripoff as bad as it was. Love Buffet was putrid and it took GSN another 12 years to try a proper (though still terrible) revival.

Let's Make a Deal 9-2 over Love Buffet

Taboo is the innocent bad of this matchup in spite of the gimmicks and overexcited contestants. The Chamber is the lethal bad, literally. It's hard to defend a show where a contestant could get lingering health problems.

The Chamber 9-2 over Taboo
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 05:55:06 PM by PatrickRox80 »

Offline TheGRVOfLightning

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • This is my favourite game.
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »
Taboo is the innocent bad of this matchup in spite of the gimmicks and overexcited contestants. The Chamber is the lethal bad, literally. It's hard to defend a show where a contestant could get lingering health problems.

The Chamber 9-2 over Taboo

Patrick, If you want The Chamber to advance it should be Taboo: 9, The Chamber: 2
My sports teams are

AFL (Australia): North Melbourne, NRL: Melbourne Storm, NHL: Anaheim Ducks, AHL: San Diego Gulls, NBA: Los Angeles Lakers, NFL: San Francisco 49ers, MLB: Boston Red Sox, MLS: LA Galaxy, Super Rugby: Melbourne Rebels, Big Bash League: Melbourne Stars, A-League: Melbourne Victory, ABL (Australian Baseball League): Melbourne Aces, AIHL (Australian Ice Hockey League): Melbourne Ice, NBL (National Basketball League [Australia]): Melbourne United, Premier League: Manchester United

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:40 PM »
Patrick, If you want The Chamber to advance it should be Taboo: 9, The Chamber: 2

Oh, thanks. I mean Taboo 9-2 over The Chamber.

Offline Coupon Boy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2015, 10:00:57 PM »
Since I like both What Would You Do? and Hit Man a lot, I have to give Instant Recall at least some credit, even though it combines those two concepts in basically the worst way imaginable. Sex Wars is a total bore-fest.

Instant Recall wins 8 to 3 over Sex Wars.

500 Questions felt like a convention full of malfunctioning robots, whereas The Moment of Truth felt like a televised confessional of grave sins.

500 Questions wins 10 to 1 over The Moment of Truth.

Let's Make a Deal is a great format and the 2003 version didn't terribly deviate from it, whereas Love Buffet was one of the many yawn inducing Newlywed game rip-offs.

2003 Let's Make a Deal wins 11 to 0 over Love Buffet.

Taboo (along with Yahtzee before it) proved that not all board games make for great game shows, whereas The Chamber proved that slowly torturing people while asking questions makes for a terrible game show and a law suit waiting to happen.

Taboo wins 9 to 2 over The Chamber.
Won $79,525 on my first Host Your Own game.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2015, 12:18:01 AM »
Wink swings the scales for me in the first match-up. Sex Wars...ugh!

Instant Recall: 9, Sex Wars: 2

Moment of Truth had many more uncomfortable moments than 500 Questions, which might be the worst game show of this year, just not of all time.

500:9, Truth: 2

One point away for the 2003 LMaD being the worst version of all time, but yeah Love Buffet was awful!

LMaD 2003: 10, Love Buffet: 1

I will not give any credit to a show that can put intentional physical harm on people for sadistic entertainment value. No matter how bad Taboo was The Chamber was much, much WORSE!

Taboo: 11, The Chamber: I wish I could give lower than zero

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 05:23:25 PM »
Another set of matches is in the books.  Let's see who will fill the remaining slots.

In the Rosen Bracket, Instant Recall c**k-blocked Sex Wars, 30-14.  Sorry, J.D.  We loved Fun House, but your last game show just didn't arouse us.

In the Wagner Bracket, 500 Questions won the battle against The Moment of Truth, 54-12.  Honestly, The Moment of Truth could actually give Rossi Moreale an out in the next round.

In the Burleson Bracket, Let's Make a Deal (Bush) zonked Burt Luddin's Love Buffet, 37-7.  That sets up a huge GSN fight in the next round.

Finally, in the Goddard Bracket, Taboo made The Chamber a taboo word.  Taboo took the 43-23 win and The Chamber made sure that three #1 seeds stayed in the running.

And that's your lineup of the sixteen worst game shows of all time.  Coming up, the field will be whittled down to the Excrement Eight.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16