Author Topic: The HYO (and G-R) situation  (Read 54945 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
The HYO (and G-R) situation
« on: August 11, 2015, 01:29:06 AM »
Apologies for the interruption in your game. Please continue.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:28:32 PM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: The HYO (and G-R) situation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »
Before we continue, I would like to point out that Chelsea locked down the HYO section for 90 days due to long periods of inactivity. Therefore, I could not update the progress on my show, which was the only one going on at that point. However, I am now allowed to continue, and Cool Steve has 48 hours to give me his guess.

Also, a memo to all my fellow HYO hosts: If we are to prevent this from ever happening again, we need to submit our scripts to Jordanar18 so he can give us the green light. Not only that, but we need to have a continuous string of at least one show in progress, preferably two, since that's the maximum number of concurrent shows that's allowed anyway. Thanks for reading.

And now, back to the show...

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
I've seen some pretty absurd things in the short two years I've been a member here, but the HYO section being shut down due to limited activity, with an active show in progress, is probably one of the most bizarre things I have witnessed. I would love to host another show. I'm just too busy at the moment, as I'm sure others are, too. This is summer, after all, so limited activity on a site as a whole is to be expected — this section included. If the decision was made to bring attention to the ongoing inactivity, then Jordan, as moderator of this section, should encourage more people to participate. But with a show in progress, he probably didn't deem it essential, and understandably so. Regardless, that would have been the more appropriate first step to take before shutting down the entire section altogether, which shoudn't be done at all without at least some input from the forum members before doing so. I'm happy to see this decision was reversed, but in the future, warn us, first. Someone. Please. Thank you.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »
Let's be honest here, Renty, I give you full marks for effort and wanting to improve. I really do, that's fantastic, and I wish more members had that drive. However...

The idea of shutting the section down is and was my idea, for a reason that isn't public yet, but I will say it more or less invalidates some of your (and Teddy's) points. Obviously, it's not known yet, so I'd never hold that against anyone's validity of points, because it's fair to say so otherwise. Thrasher and I discussed this on Facebook the other day. As I understand it, the decision isn't likely to be reversed, despite the notice; this likely is the last show for this section/site. This one's the grand finale of them all here, Teddy; make it a good one.

Furthermore, the vast majority does not want to admit it, but this site is dead. Talking with a select group of intell affiliated with various game show pages, we think this section is done, CSS will be soon, and another big one is in serious jeopardy. This site is all but done. And frankly, there's not much that can be done about that, no matter if I take/purchase it from Marc, as I've been trying to do so, for the past year or so.

We really are at the end of the Golden-Road here, folks. There's no rainbow here. Shop is closing up in countless ways. Hell, BAV is going to have that happen soon too, I know and admit this. It's just part of the lifecycle of a business; in this case a website. We're at the dead end of maturity, almost crossing into death, forget rebirth. I tried there with Mike Richards, no response.

Somebody move this, please, starting with Teddy's post. This is a vital topic, and I think it needs to be addressed by an at-large audience of the site.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
If no one else is going to come out and say it, I will:  I was happy to see the notice that this section was being closed down, if only for two reasons:
1)  I get tired of seeing nothing but new posts in the HYO section when I look down at the bottom of the page; I want to know what real discussions are going on
2)  It eliminates a major draw to this site for trolls

There, I've said it.  I feel better.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Jess's post really hit me harder than I expected.

I started lurking on this site way back in the early '00s, before the site got its big transformation (which I still remember).  I've only been a member for five years, and although I've made a lot of good memories, I'm a bit sad that I missed out on participating when we were at our peak.

It's a shame that this site is not as active that it was several years ago, but I don't think that it deserves to die.  Membership is down, but I feel that we still have a core group that makes valuable contributions that keep the site up and running.  I've seen forums with a much smaller user base roll on just fine.

If we die, who is going to fill our void?

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:34 PM »
Update: Plans are basically public as to HYO's future. Check the moderators of this section, and you will get your update.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »
Update: Plans are basically public as to HYO's future. Check the moderators of this section, and you will get your update.

I must be missing something.  I see Jordanar18's name is no longer there, and now we have the same moderators here as the First-Run section, but...what does that mean?  I also saw Jordan was last active just days ago, and there's no line through his name, so he's not banned...what am I missing here?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 08:20:58 PM »
I'm with Jess. We really need to open up a thread to discuss all of this. I would unleash here, but I feel like this thread has been hijacked enough -- which seems inappropriate given that this is apparently the "final" (using Chris Farley's quotation gesture) HYO ever.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »
For those who don't know, the HYO section was temporarily closed and made read-only due to activity.  After approximately 24 hours, the section re-opened, and the one game in progress was allowed to resume.  At approximately the same time, the section's moderation staff was changed, and the suggestion was made that the reopening was only temporary, and at the conclusion of the current game, the section would again be closed, this time permanently.

As PayingTheRent suggested, this thread should take the place of the game thread as the location for us to discuss this development, so that the game can continue without further interruption.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:26:05 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:29:43 PM »
We really need to open up a thread to discuss all of this.

Consider it done.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:56 PM »
I'll admit my feelings about this up front.  Personally, I was glad to see HYO closed.  Too many times, it seemed that when I came here, the "Recent topics" section was full of posts from HYO, and actual discussions got crowded out, which was annoying.  (I'll add that I feel the same way when I see a list of posts in the PG Reviews section, all by the same user, in one game thread after another, but that's a discussion for another time.)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »
So what the reason behind the HYO's closing for good? Is it not enough people volunteering to host? Seems that way.

Offline ethawne2015

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 08:53:10 PM »
So what the reason behind the HYO's closing for good? Is it not enough people volunteering to host? Seems that way.

Best answers we have to this question as of the moment:

I've seen some pretty absurd things in the short two years I've been a member here, but the HYO section being shut down due to limited activity, with an active show in progress, is probably one of the most bizarre things I have witnessed. I would love to host another show. I'm just too busy at the moment, as I'm sure others are, too. This is summer, after all, so limited activity on a site as a whole is to be expected — this section included. If the decision was made to bring attention to the ongoing inactivity, then Jordan, as moderator of this section, should encourage more people to participate. But with a show in progress, he probably didn't deem it essential, and understandably so. Regardless, that would have been the more appropriate first step to take before shutting down the entire section altogether, which shoudn't be done at all without at least some input from the forum members before doing so. I'm happy to see this decision was reversed, but in the future, warn us, first. Someone. Please. Thank you.

Let's be honest here, Renty, I give you full marks for effort and wanting to improve. I really do, that's fantastic, and I wish more members had that drive. However...

The idea of shutting the section down is and was my idea, for a reason that isn't public yet, but I will say it more or less invalidates some of your (and Teddy's) points. Obviously, it's not known yet, so I'd never hold that against anyone's validity of points, because it's fair to say so otherwise. Thrasher and I discussed this on Facebook the other day. As I understand it, the decision isn't likely to be reversed, despite the notice; this likely is the last show for this section/site. This one's the grand finale of them all here, Teddy; make it a good one.

Furthermore, the vast majority does not want to admit it, but this site is dead. Talking with a select group of intell affiliated with various game show pages, we think this section is done, CSS will be soon, and another big one is in serious jeopardy. This site is all but done. And frankly, there's not much that can be done about that, no matter if I take/purchase it from Marc, as I've been trying to do so, for the past year or so.

We really are at the end of the Golden-Road here, folks. There's no rainbow here. Shop is closing up in countless ways. Hell, BAV is going to have that happen soon too, I know and admit this. It's just part of the lifecycle of a business; in this case a website. We're at the dead end of maturity, almost crossing into death, forget rebirth. I tried there with Mike Richards, no response.

Somebody move this, please, starting with Teddy's post. This is a vital topic, and I think it needs to be addressed by an at-large audience of the site.

Hopefully Jess or Chelsea or someone will provide more details when they see this thread.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• Recap Guide
  • I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 09:01:51 PM »
Originally the plan was to shut down the Host Your Own situation because Jordanar18 resigned due to lack of time and lack of interest I believe. Last night, I offered to take it over to Seth in an email over other things.

There is still life I think in HYO, but I think it's more on not just who is hosting, but participation. When I did my 1st one earlier this year, I got 27 people participating and Jordanar was so excited. I want to see more participation in forms of people participating not just hosting. I know people don't have time to commit to host, but every little bit helps.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]