Author Topic: The Season 44 Situation  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
The Season 44 Situation
« on: August 13, 2015, 09:24:18 PM »
I was going to announce this after the show on August 25, 2015, but as it appears this is a more opportune time with the Host Your Own situation, I guess I should do this here. It's not blatantly obvious, but several members of the site as well as Seth knows. Contrary to what I've said previously, I will not be recapping the 44th season of The Price is Right.. It's a not decision I like to make. I wanted to do Season 44, which was actually going to be my last, but as people know, I was accepted to Western Illinois University and while my class schedule would leave me time to do the work, I also had a graduate assistantship that pays me $7,000/yr provided to me. That will keep me busy daily.

This is hard, because I was having fun still. It wasn't like I'm just churning them out because I was contractually obligated, but at the same time, I don't really have a choice. I was having fun as much as it looked like I was being lazy. I know people haven't liked me recapping from the start, from being not qualified, to having the position just given to me, to my persistence on not being like my predecessors, to my constant errors. I loved doing this job, but rather than spending 180 days of delays, I'd rather someone else do the job, and besides, I'm sure people are ready to see a new recapper anyway.

That being said, I thank you putting up with me in this position. I am not going away from Golden-Road.net, and nor should I. I will be in chat when I can, but I've also been promoted as a new site moderator, which should help things drastically, plus, I am now the new moderator of the Host Your Own section, where the job isn't a 4hr-a-day commitment. I told Seth that I would be happy to help pick a new recapper and if you'd like to submit examples to me, I'm game to read them. My email is mitchazenia@gmail.com, and I check it regularly, so I can give a response in due time.

This job has been a pleasure and I thank everyone, from Seth putting me in this position, to Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788 for spending an endless summer of 2012 putting those templates together. I will be doing the August 25 and September 8 recaps for those who are curious.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:31:42 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: The Season 44 Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:17 PM »
Adam, you have done a phenomenal job with the recaps. Regardless of what a few pinheads may say, your hard work has not gone unnoticed, and I want to thank you for doing such a great job. Thrilled to hear that you are taking over HYO!!

Whoever Adam's successor is, let me be the first to say: you've got some big shoes to fill! :P
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JustBecause

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Waiting until the Time is Money Avatar is ready!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 10:42:03 PM »
Adam, the site owes you a tremendous thank you for your work, both in doing recaps and elsewhere. Your recaps were indeed well done...which makes this next part awkward for me to type (warning: unpopular opinion coming).

It takes a hell of a lot of effort to put forth daily recaps. Yet, as has been alluded to in the HYO thread by Frank, the recap section seems to be one of the deadest parts of the entire site in recent times (save for special shows), and that's only half the problem here. If you have the time, read the January 28th, 2015 recap thread for an in-depth analysis, but this quote from SuperSweeper sums it up better than anyone could:

It does seem like the same people post the same kind of comments in EVERY recap thread.  It has gotten to the point where I skip 90% of the posts in these threads because the comments become interchangable. 

There's so much truth to this quote that it isn't funny. In fact, it's gotten to the point that I can predict in my head what will be said in the recap threads and who will say them.

So (and I know this will be unpopular) what I suggest happen is 1 of 2 radical ideas:

1. Hire a new recapper, but make The Talk is Right READ ONLY so that the banality of the comments can cease.
2. Do away with recaps altogether and come up with an alternative way so that people can still talk about each episode.

Of course, the best solution would be for everybody to up their quality when commenting on episodes, but I personally don't see that happening enough to warrant maintaining the status quo.   

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 11:01:01 PM »
Thanks for all your best work on the recaps Adam.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Sad to see you go, Adam. For any flaws you might have or are perceived to have, it's always nice to have someone who is dedicated enough to post with regularly consistency. Thank you.

As for solutions for the recaps. while it has become a cacophony of the same comments everyday, I still think it's nice to have the option to post there.

However, if a new recapper cannot be found, perhaps this site can strike a deal with JayDLewis to link to or post the recaps from Qwizx to here.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
Thank you for all of the work you did with the recapping Adam, and best of luck to you in your future education! 

I do hope the recaps can continue and the quality of discussion in them improves a bit.  I read the recaps and enjoy them every day, but I usually do not have time or anything that hasn't already been said to comment.

Offline PriceBusterXL

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I deserve this.
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:53 PM »
Sad to see you go, Adam. For any flaws you might have or are perceived to have, it's always nice to have someone who is dedicated enough to post with regularly consistency. Thank you.

As for solutions for the recaps. while it has become a cacophony of the same comments everyday, I still think it's nice to have the option to post there.

However, if a new recapper cannot be found, perhaps this site can strike a deal with JayDLewis to link to or post the recaps from Qwizx to here.
That might be a good idea if no one can find Adam's replacement...And speaking of Adam, thanks for everything you've done on the recaps and I wish you well on your future endeavors (Sounds a little like John Laurinaitis... :P...but I'm really happy on what you're doing in the future).

Offline tpirman1982

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • My TPIR Fanpage
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:07:19 AM »
Who's going to do the recaps this upcoming season? I always check the recaps when I come home from work before checking my tapes.

Offline Archviler

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
Thank you for all of the work you did with the recapping Adam, and best of luck to you in your future education! 

I do hope the recaps can continue and the quality of discussion in them improves a bit.  I read the recaps and enjoy them every day, but I usually do not have time or anything that hasn't already been said to comment.

Really just want to second this. I lurk but I find the recaps are nice in case I missed anything in an episode or want to check something. They're a great resource.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Thanks for all of your hard work, Adam. I appreciate the meticulous attention to detail you put into your recaps.

Although I wouldn't mind doing the recaps (I've made a few in Microsoft Word and Notepad myself, which I will send to you), I have school so it might take me until 5:30-6 PM Eastern (at most) to put up the recaps.

Also, I don't agree with disabling comments. Even if it's mostly the same comments over and over, I still like seeing people's thoughts on the episode.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline visualbasicwizard

• 2005-2014
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 09:16:08 PM »
You did a great job.  When you asked for help putting together the templates, I did not think we were going to pull it off.  I'm still amazed with what we did with the restrictions we had, and still got it to work.  WhammyPower was instrumental in building out and maintaining the templates, and it would have never got done it if were not for him. 

It was an honor to have the opportunity to work on it.

Check out my CSS signs: CSS images
My CSS calculator: http://www.vbwcomputers.com/CSS/calculator.php