Author Topic: 10th Year Anniversary Of Hurricane Katrina (My story)  (Read 692 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PriceBusterXL

  • Double Showcase Winner
  • ******
  • Posts: 2790
  • I deserve this.
10th Year Anniversary Of Hurricane Katrina (My story)
« on: August 24, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »
Today marks the 10th year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which for me was a true survivor story. What started as a tropical wave this date in 2005 was turned into a tropical storm on August 24 and then into a hurricane two hours later when it made the first landfall in Florida. But the real impact towards the storm didn't start until leaving Florida and back into the warm waters in the Gulf Coast...From there, not only Katrina's strength increased gradually, it increased very quickly as well, right to the point where it reached to a Category 5 hurricane of 175 mph.

In Picayune, Mississippi (my hometown), that was when I, my mother, and my younger sister noticed about the storm's intensity from the news and we were very scared about what was going to happen when it hits landfall for the second time...Only with much more power and what amount of damage it would bring. We didn't have much time to try to evacuate far away from the storm, which was the ominous part for me, so one of my mother's friends decided that we seek shelter at a convalescence home from where she used to work. It was actually the same convalescence home that my grandfather was in when he got too ill and he spent the rest of his life there in 2005. Inside was many elderly people who were very afraid about the storm and other people who evacuated their homes as well. My family and I shacked to the cafeteria of the home, which had more than enough room for us and the rest of the other evacuees.

Since then, there were TVs at the home where the local affiliates (both from Mississippi and Louisiana) showed nothing but Katrina's footage and we kept glued to our seats, wondering what's going to come to us. And I was just as nervous as anyone else.

On Monday morning, it made landfall, but not as a Cat 5, but a Cat 3 storm...It was still enough to do massive damage to The Mississippi Gulf Coast and New Orleans, leaving thousands dead. Back in Picayune, everyone inside the retirement home can feel and hear the incredibly strong winds. Nurses and caregivers had to move the residents from their rooms for fear of the roofs could come down on them. I and many others, including my mom, lend a hand in moving the elderly out of their rooms and taking them into the cafeteria. The lights were starting to go out and the strong thunder and wind and torrential rains were coming our way.

Then, thankfully, it was all over and the evacuees and residents were safe. There was significant damage to the retirement home but there were no casualties. After then, we went back to our home, noticing some damage from it as well and many other homes from our street. Throughout the next few days, weeks, and months, power from Picayune was restored. During the aftermath, we brought in some relatives from New Orleans and Waveland who had to leave or lost everything because of Katrina. They stayed with us for a while until they were able to get back on their feet.

For me, Katrina was something that will be etched in my mind forever, but I can say that I was blessed that I and my family was able to survive such a dangerous storm. I can only hope I never have to go through that again.