Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 09/23/15 (Decades Week Day 3: 1990s)  (Read 19205 times)

Offline 1DC

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPIR Recap - 9/23/15 (Decades Week Day 3 - 1990s)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:37 PM »
I didn't think today's show was as good as yesterday's but it was still good nonetheless. I also expected they'd use old cues from the 1994 New Price is Right but surprisingly they didn't. A lot of the cues they did use on the show were music cues the show started using the first 2 or 3 years of Drew's tenure as host. Onto the games...

Cover Up. Neat that the things being covered up at the beginning of the game were names of pricing games that were retired in the 1990s.
Easy as 123..... Would have been nicer if they used the old Fortune Hunter prize cue instead, as that was part of the 1994 NPiR music library.
Side by Side......a win made for a perfect first half.
Line em Up......it seemed like they were on budget more offering such a cheap car in this game
Push Over......they could have used a NPiR 94 cue for that trip since there was a cue from that library that was often used in pricing games that offered more than 1 trip.
It's in the Bag......disappointing about the loss.

Final note....is it me, or did Drew look something like Bob back in the 1990s, & did George wearing his outfit  remind anyone else of Rod Roddy when he wore his flashy attire back then?

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 08:18:37 PM »
Same here....watching CityTV Montreal feed on Shaw Direct....I thought it was a computer glitch,station hack or someone pressing wrong keys or buttons
Probably a glitch from Rogers.  I also noticed 2 American ads aired on it (Progressive Auto insurance and Lactaid, the latter of which we also have in Canada)

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
and here's another question,do they use the All American Television/Pearson Television logos,tomorrow ???

I would say no. They've used the FremantleMedia logos all week, with Goodson/Todman (70's) and Goodson (80's/90's) voiceovers. Tomorrow, I expect to see the FremantleMedia logo again and, if we're lucky, the Goodson voiceover. I would be shocked if there was any mention about  All American Television/Pearson.

A few other thoughts:

- I noticed that the light border was a blend of yellow and pink today. I can't think of any real reason why, other than perhaps trying to emulate the pink-ish color of the bulb "sparkles" of the 90's light border.

- I love that the opening logo has, on all three shows this week, first appeared on the screen in a manner (I hope "swiping in" from left to right is a good way to describe it) that is so reminiscent of how the manually revealed logo made its initial appearance before zooming in. On today's show, I noticed that the logo remained stagnant for a few seconds, before zooming in -- slowly. Both of these elements were a nice touch, although I wish they had done it on the 70's show -- I don't think this practice was common during the 90's episodes.

- With that said, I expect tomorrow's logo to be zoomed in 100% (no initial swipe reveal), and I expect it to be something that resembles the logo (the one with the stars around it) that was used from the 2nd episode of Season 31 through the end of Season 34.

- Drew's audience entrance was cool, although -- as was done in the Barker era -- I wish they had used the star wipe to transition from the logo to his entrance (along with the reverse star wipe once he got onto stage).  I also wish that there had been a legitimate reason for going that route (translated: a big game that they didn't want to spoil with a standard entrance).  I don't think any of the pricing games that debuted in the 90's could be classified in that manner. Does Triple Play require an audience entrance? If so, maybe they should have saved this approach for tomorrow's show (assuming it won't happen again).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:11:56 PM by asd2001 »

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 09:11:03 PM »
Raven (from Orange, CA) heads up on stage to play Cover-Up for a 2015 Kia Rio LX.
Wait...a foreign car on a 1990s show?

Adam (from Detroit) narrowly escapes joining the First Four Breakfast Club, and will play It's in the Bag for up to $16,000 (Manuela and Rachel).
Grocery items:
Healthy Choice Simply Steamers meatball marinara
Hold on...is that something with meat in a 1990s pricing game?
Actually, I don't think the "no meat whatsoever" policy started until sometime after 1990, so there probably were 1990s episodes with things like Pepperoni Hot Pockets - anybody remember when it actually started?  Not that they went out of their way to announce it, mind you...  (And I can still imagine the look on Bob's face when somebody told him what goes into those boxes of Knox Unflavored Gelatin)

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:16 PM »
I realize it's entirely pedantic and something only we nerds care about, but would it have hurt the staff to make the Push Over box to China red just this once?

Also, Cover Up looks awful on the new turntable. The blue blends in too well.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 09:15:31 PM »
- With that said, I expect tomorrow's logo to be zoomed in 100% (no initial swipe reveal), and I expect it to be something that resembles the logo (the one with the stars around it) that was used from the 2nd episode of Season 31 through the end of Season 34.

That logo was done digitally, so in theory, they could use the same exact version they used then without having to create a new one. Given that is was computer generated, I assume it might be a high enough resolution that it will work in HD, despite the show only being in SD when it was in use.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
Also, after two days of having two "Bonus Game Item" pricing games on each day, there were none today (as I said yesterday, the middle item in Line 'Em Up doesn't count).

Another sign that I'm older than I would like to admit: they retired SuperBall over 15 years ago?

Offline rn

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »
Another sign that I'm older than I would like to admit: they retired SuperBall over 15 years ago?
1998 - 17 years ago.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
I was really hoping to see the "CBS StereoSound" logo flash on the screen during the intro...
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 10:28:44 PM »
The 70's and 80's show were executed well. 

But, I have a bone to pick with this show.  The music cue selection was awful.  Where was TnPIR '94 package?  At the very least, the Car Slide cue? Or any number of the Grocery Product cues? 

And the light borders.  The intro was ... an interesting attempt.  The light border has never been a shade of pink!  And, as evidenced by TVs offered as prizes, the show already has a passable rendition of the pre-2007 light border that could have easily been used.  Hell, in the final few Barker seasons, the light border opening was actually a prerecorded loop.  They don't have that lying around somewhere? Furthermore, the light border used during George's call down window today was definitely not introduced in the 90's! Try 2008?

And finally, speaking of George.  All week. Just... no.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:34:08 PM by PIR85 »

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »
And, as evidenced by TVs offered as prizes, the show already has a passable rendition of the pre-2007 light border that could have easily been used.  Hell, in the final few Barker seasons, the light border opening was actually a prerecorded loop.  They don't have that lying around somewhere?

The Timeline indicates that the practice of using a prerecorded version of the previous light border began in Season 36. I'm guessing they aren't using it now because it was never shot in 16:9 -- it was 4:3 only (or so I assume).

I think that the one we saw on TVs being offered as prizes (on Monday and Tuesday - not today) is also 4:3-only. I'd have to go back and double-check, but I think the lights are moving only around the actual classic clip (which of course was recorded in 4:3). I'm pretty sure there are sidebars to fill in the rest of the screen that aren't surrounded by the border.

Furthermore, the light border used during George's call down window today was definitely not introduced in the 90's! Try 2008?

I started watching today's show (via SlingPlayer on my iPhone at work) about 15 minutes in --  when I saw that light border at that point (and again on one of the TVs being offered as a prize), I was dreading coming home and watching the intro and seeing it there as well. Thankfully that wasn't the case.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:49:52 PM by asd2001 »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:37 PM »
I was really hoping to see the "CBS StereoSound" logo flash on the screen during the intro...

You weren't the only one. :P

And finally, speaking of George.  All week. Just... no.

Amen. With all the things the staff and even Drew have gotten right so far this week, George has seemed to be on some other planet. His attempts to parody the different decades with slang and so forth have been lame, at best. Outside of the opening spiel, he hasn't even tried to emulate Johnny or Rod, which is disappointing. I guess his jacket today could have been an attempt to simulate Rod's flashy dress style, but a glittery gold or silver jacket would have been much more appropriate if that were the case, and I don't think it was.

Speaking of Rod, have we had so much as even a clip of him announcing this week? He isn't featured in the clip montage they've been showing at the beginning of each show.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:48:51 PM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »
And by the way, the first item up for bids on our 1990s episode today: an iPhone??!
George introduced it as an update over the old flip phones of the 90s (although I think of flip phones more as 2000s), and he's been describing certain items all week as things that are upgrades over what people used in that decade.  To me it's pretty clever.

Wrinkent, Triple Play does not officially require an audience entrance, although there were 1 or 2 MDS's where Bob entered from the audience because the show wanted to have an audience entrance for primetime.  I am hoping Triple Play starts tomorrow's show, but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up since they've very rarely used the big 3 car games on specials and theme shows and Triple Play gets very little playing time as it is.  It would certainly be a good opportunity to give away 3 cars popular/introduced in the decade though.

Offline PIR85

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
The Timeline indicates that the practice of using a prerecorded version of the previous light border began in Season 36.

Ah, indeed.

Offline asd2001

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2015, 12:19:43 AM »
Something else that's been missing that I thought would have a chance of being resurrected (for at least the 70's-90's shows): the classic mid-show bumper. But I guess I'm more surprised that no one else has mentioned it (at least in the threads/posts I've read) more than I am by the lack of its appearance.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 12:23:53 AM by asd2001 »