Author Topic: New HYO Host and Some Changes  (Read 19489 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
New HYO Host and Some Changes
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »
So, this is the official announcement that people have been asking about. I am indeed the new Host Your Own mod, which you knew for a while, but for those who didn't.

Anyway, there are going to be some minor changes to the rules this season and I will explain why:

1) One Show At a Time - I feel it is stronger to have more participation by having only one show going on at a time. That way all the energy is put into one show that everyone can focus on rather than checking multiple threads.

2) More Auditing of Material - I want quality, not quantity. I am not asking for too much, but please, look like you care about what you're doing, make things with some graphics, be reasonable with your prizes. You can do MDSs all you want, but please, be reasonable. I will be reading all scripts sent to me, regardless of who and how you are.

I am taking open applications and although I would like either CJBojangles or goldroadfanatic to host the return show, both are busy at the moment. If others are interested, please send them to me. To the G-R.net community in general, even if you can't host, take some small time and participate! That's the best for the community and the health of this section.

Roadgeek Adam
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
Re: New HYO Host and Some Changes
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
First of all, congratulations on becoming the new mod of HYO. However, I would like to address what I see to be a pressing matter. I strongly disagree with you on the idea of having one show at a time. This forum has succeeded for years on end with two, even three shows at a time with plentiful participation. Limiting this to one game at a time would be a significant detriment to both participation and quality. Let's say that, on average, 15 people sign up for a show. Only nine of them get to play in the game, with some of them having very limited interaction. (If the ninth player doesn't make it on "stage", they only have one bid to show for their participation.) The rest have to sit out for the entire month-plus that the game is going on, which is extremely unfair to them. The players are just as important as the host in my view, having been both - good hosts make for good shows, yes, but good players make for great shows. As for quality, since shows can take over a month to complete, having one show means that hosts will be inherently placed in a "time crunch", where the quality will diminish as they try to rush their shows to be over as quickly as possible. With two games at a time, this crunch was still in place a little bit, but it was significantly softened by hosts being able to, well, host at double the rate. This is also incredibly frustrating to players, as if a player misses a 24 hour deadline, they set the entire forum back 24 hours instead of just one game.

If the issue for you is quality, then perhaps we can settle for a compromise. Maybe we should ensure that at least one veteran is hosting at a time so that people only interested in spectating have something to focus their energy on, while players have the opportunity to participate and be the "guinea pigs" for an up-and-coming host. Speaking of which, I could see the one-at-a-time policy being incredibly frustrating for a new host that may suffer from initial setbacks, as I myself suffered from way back in 2011. With another game going, me being grounded for a day because I forgot to take out the garbage (yes, this actually happened...) was laughed off as an afterthought; if mine was the only game, this event would have been a catastrophe.

I strongly urge you to reconsider this stance. I am completely fine with increased auditing of material (even if it seems unnecessary given that the games as of late have, at least to my eyes, appeared to be of superb quality), but I feel that having only one show at a time apart from the usual two would be disastrous and perhaps fatal to the Host Your Owns that I have come to know and love over the past half decade. I know that you are striving for quality and not quantity, but why not both?

EDIT: Further on the "at least one veteran" compromise - perhaps we should be encouraging new hosts to have traditional shows while allowing the more experienced hosts to be more flexible with the show's format. From experience, I assure you that new hosts struggle to present radical concepts that often crash and burn, whereas veteran hosts are able to flawlessly present experimental concepts (for instance, Teddy's excellent HYO that just ended which featured all six games being original creations). I apologize if this sounds elitist, but my interest in doing this is in educating the next generation of hosts how to successfully host a game and make them feel more comfortable in making the games their own, which will no doubt lead to outstanding games from new hosts in the future. As for the veterans, I want the players to be happy and the forum itself to be prosperous, so having hosts that already know the ropes and provide top-notch quality is crucial for the forum's health.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 02:11:09 AM by RCPlanes59 »
Season 8 (2011-12) CSS 3rd Place

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 02:27:02 AM »
EDIT 2 (Er, not so much edit now): I was unaware of the closure of the HYO forum when I wrote the above post. I stand by my stance, but I realize that I'm not the authority here, so I understand what you decide to do either way.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:53:41 AM »
I believe the point behind the "one game at a time" rule is to better ensure that there's actually a game going at all times...or at least closer to it.

Unfortunately, we've seen the number of hosts significantly decline over the past couple of years, to the point where we only had one or two people regularly hosting shows. We would have two games running at once, then go months with no games running at all. In my opinion, and as one who had a little bit of a hand in making the decision, we no longer have the level of active participation in the hosting department to justify having two games running at once.

Not trying to speak for Adam, of course, just providing a little bit of background. :)
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:12 AM »
Thank you for making an effort to keep this section of the board up and running.

I'm not a regular poster/participant here, but I love lurking.  The only thing that's kept me from being able to make more of a contribution is just being so busy with other things in life.  Hopefully by the time next summer rolls around I'll be able to be back in the games.  Who knows, I may even get the urge to be a host at some point.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 02:10:40 PM »
I am taking open applications and although I would like either CJBojangles or goldroadfanatic to host the return show, both are busy at the moment. If others are interested, please send them to me.
Well, I'm the only one so far to have sent a script, so I'm waiting in line at the moment. Hopefully there'll be others that will step forward to host the first show; in case no one hosts, I'd like to proceed with my show as planned.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »
You're not the only one to submit a script, Teddy ;-)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 03:02:41 PM »
When I first started on the forum, people would host only one pricing game, and have everyone else PM or post their guess. Perhaps we could reintroduce this to allow some variety and include more people at one time.

Offline RCPlanes59

• Double Showcase Winner
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 11:56:14 PM »
Is there any update as to the number of hosts who have submitted a script and the order in which those prospective hosts will host their game?