Author Topic: TPIR Recap - 10/16/15 (Big Money Week IV, Day 5)  (Read 13397 times)

Offline Bobby McBride

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPIR Recap - 10/16/15 (Big Money Week IV, Day 5)
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 06:41:51 PM »
SC: I doubt I would've won this, even if $15K was at stake.

Double Prices: This definitely should have been won- not sure why it was overpriced.

RR: To date this season, the 1st-place rat has been missed by at least two lanes.

LeR: In both playings this season (including today's for $105K), only two rolls were needed!

MYM: I would've taken my time, but I would've won.

TTM: A shame Carolyn didn't see those folks who wanted her to stop at #3.

Showcases: Too bad Sherrie didn't make it all the way here.

The only thing missing to today's good end-of-wk. capper was a car PG win.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 07:14:48 PM »
There are 3 unique things which occurred in today's show which cause me to believe the show is in trouble - and that it is no longer "The Price is Right"
1.  A contestant won $100,000 - and I don't care....this fact was not based on her prcing ability, but was instead based on dice. This is something LMAD would do, not Price.  There was no risk at all....even if she had just rollder one dollar sign on her first roll.
2.  A contestant won a prize on Rat Race....and it was an afterthought.  "Hey, you won a prize in the thousands.....but since your rat came in second....who care....you can still spin the wheel".   Who cares about the pricing?
3.  In Make Your Move, one prize was a glorified blender (with some cart I was supposed to pirce) and a hot tub (which included some robes....I guess I need to price as well???).  What the hell am I pricing here exactly?

And don't get me started on prices involving calling plans...the show's premise - that is is based on "pricing of merchandise, with wonderful awards for  smart shoppers" is gone....RIP.

Now, just guess and yell....you'll be fine....also, get rid of contestant mics, they suck too...

Thanks,
Bob
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
There are 3 unique things which occurred in today's show which cause me to believe the show is in trouble - and that it is no longer "The Price is Right"
1.  A contestant won $100,000 - and I don't care....this fact was not based on her prcing ability, but was instead based on dice. This is something LMAD would do, not Price.  There was no risk at all....even if she had just rollder one dollar sign on her first roll.
So, when does the show retire Secret X, or Master Key, or Three Strikes (even if you are told the price in advance, you have a 3/8 chance of winning a 5-digit car and 1/3 chance of winning a 6-digit car), or Plinko (you can get all of the prices wrong and still win $10,000), or Pass The Buck, or Punch-A-Bunch, or Hole In One Or Two?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »
So, when does the show retire Secret X, or Master Key, or Three Strikes (even if you are told the price in advance, you have a 3/8 chance of winning a 5-digit car and 1/3 chance of winning a 6-digit car), or Plinko (you can get all of the prices wrong and still win $10,000), or Pass The Buck, or Punch-A-Bunch, or Hole In One Or Two?

Let me scroll back to see where I asked a game to be retired...

{{crickets}}

Nope, never asked for that.

What I DID imply is that, if you are giving away $100,000, that there could be some tension/skill/risk involved.  None of those aspects existed in today's playing, and perhaps this is the reason it was buried on Friday. 

As proof, I challenge you to do this. Bury this thread away for 9 months.  Then ask yourself waht the "greatest moments" of this season were.  Today's show is quickly forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:40:46 PM by sideshowPA »

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
So, when does the show retire Secret X, or Master Key, or Three Strikes (even if you are told the price in advance, you have a 3/8 chance of winning a 5-digit car and 1/3 chance of winning a 6-digit car),....

Also, no need to quote probability rules to me, as I wrote the book (literally, and through conference talks): http://mathcoachblog.com/2013/11/09/counting-principles-and-the-price-is-right/

But while the games are built on chance, the SHOW is based on people.  The current producers miss this.  A show with low-stakes and awesome people will always trump Big Money Week and un-memorable contestants.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »
3.  In Make Your Move, one prize was a glorified blender (with some cart I was supposed to pirce) and a hot tub (which included some robes....I guess I need to price as well???).  What the hell am I pricing here exactly?
I don't understand the gripe here. The show has offered numerous random prizes throughout the history of the show that honestly, many people just wouldn't know the price of. The Monopoly set that cost $5,000? No one is going to expect that. There have been plenty more. I mean, the nighttime show with James had an airplane. I don't know most people, but I bet most of them aren't shopping for airplanes and would know its price. There are plenty of prizes over the history that just seemed unpriceable. I understand where you're coming from because sometimes some prizes should be kept to fee games, but I don't think it's a problem here. Plus the setup was easy enough. Even if you didn't know the prices, you could still know the area in which the prizes cost and in MYM, that's enough to win.

And don't get me started on prices involving calling plans...the show's premise - that is is based on "pricing of merchandise, with wonderful awards for  smart shoppers" is gone....RIP.
Completely disagree here. Smart shoppers would know the price of cell phones/tablets with calling plans. A ton of people have cellular devices nowadays, and they have to pay for them. It's a way of life now. I understand that not everyone combines the total for an entire year and don't realize that the phone they get is usually at a discounted price, but "smart shoppers" (like heads of households, mothers/fathers) do pay attention to how much they have to pay for their or their kids' phone.

If anything, "smart shoppers" are gone. They have knife blocks on the show all the time and they're consistently underpriced. Same for assortments of appliances. Those are supposed to be the "priceable" prizes and they consistently aren't.

What I DID imply is that, if you are giving away $100,000, that there could be some tension/skill/risk involved.  None of those aspects existed in today's playing, and perhaps this is the reason it was buried on Friday.
I think there was some tension at least waiting for that last dice to drop. Not as much though, I suppose, because it was only her 2nd roll. I suppose though that this is certainly a matter of opinion.

As proof, I challenge you to do this. Bury this thread away for 9 months.  Then ask yourself waht the "greatest moments" of this season were.  Today's show is quickly forgotten.
I completely agree. What usually outshines these gimmick weeks are great wins, unexpected wins, and rare wins (like Range Game a week or so back). The same can be said of Dream Car Week when that comes around. It's great in the moment, but sometimes it isn't a "great moment", and it doesn't hold a candle to the great natural moments that happen throughout the season.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:53:10 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »
Well, it is a pricing game, so just like many other games on the show, it might help if you know a bit about the price of the prize offered, and it helps if you're lucky.
With the myriad choices of cars in the range of $17,000-$23,000 that this game tends to be played for, I submit that this game depends much more on luck than knowing the price, particularly when the gap between prices is small.  Most people are going to know that the car is roughly $20,000....  Why is this game harder than 3 Strikes, when 3 Strikes is played for much more valuable cars?

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »
I don't understand the gripe here. The show has offered numerous random prizes throughout the history of the show that honestly, many people just wouldn't know the price of. The Monopoly set that cost $5,000? No one is going to expect that. There have been plenty more. I mean, the nighttime show with James had an airplane. I don't know most people, but I bet most of them aren't shopping for airplanes and would know its price. There are plenty of prizes over the history that just seemed unpriceable.

I agree that there have been many strange items offered over the years...but that's not my point.  Today we had a blender, which happened to be paried with a table which seemed an afterthought.  We also have a hot tub, but by the way there are some robes as well.  It's the same with phones, which happen to have a calling plan attached.  It's dis-ingenuous to have a prize you show which happens to have other stuff attached to it. What exactly am I pricing exactly?  Heck, even Drew had to remind contestants to include the cash all week.  The show would do better to just offer one item...and they could save time in the process. 

So, what was the point of offering the robes with a hot tub?  It seems a nice extra, but just confuses, rather than adds. 

Simplify.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 09:45:43 AM »
So, what was the point of offering the robes with a hot tub?  It seems a nice extra, but just confuses, rather than adds. 

To get the hot tub off of a "nice" price to make the game more difficult.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 01:23:49 PM »
With the myriad choices of cars in the range of $17,000-$23,000 that this game tends to be played for, I submit that this game depends much more on luck than knowing the price, particularly when the gap between prices is small.  Most people are going to know that the car is roughly $20,000....  Why is this game harder than 3 Strikes, when 3 Strikes is played for much more valuable cars?
I don't know if TTM is harder than 3 Strikes (Strikes is played much less often), but I would say that so many games on the show include an element of pricing and an element of luck. Think about it: picking the 4th or 5th digit in a car price? Pricing an expensive trip within a $150 range? Choosing a box that might contain money? Making a guess as to where an "X" might be?

But a lot of games involve luck. I'm fine with that. As far as TPIR goes, I just don't like games (such as Secret "X) where you can do all of the pricing perfectly and still not win anything (besides the small prizes). [At least now $1000 is won if all the pricing is done correctly in 1/2 Off.] I'm not a big fan of Plinko, but chances are some money will be won if all the pricing is done correctly.

And now... back to the episode at hand?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:36:35 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline whinbaby

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No whining!
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
For totals purposes, I assume the price of the refrigerator to be $1,399 based on online figures and past refrigerators on the show.

Samsung's website lists it as $3,299 (link).  And the refrigerator has a "Showcase" in it.

Offline TPIRFan2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 10:57:08 AM »
That was cash and prizes. ThatDonGuy was asking if today was the record for just cash, without prizes.
Ah, I see. Yes, looking through the list, that is the highest amount ever won in cash.
I hadn't really thought about this before, but the reality of death means that every day there are less people in the world than the day before.  In reality there are many more people in the world than this but for illustration: If one day there are 1000 people in the world and the next day 55 people die, now there are 945 people in the world. if 30 more die the next day now there are 915 people in the world. So we'll eventually become extinct as will all creatures as the same reality applies to dogs, cats, horses etc.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
I think I can safely say that this is a first:  Two pricing games played for cash on a show with no cash games.

Isn't it a little awkward to open the show with Safe Crackers and Double Prices? :confused:

I thought Rat Race was set up fairly hard. I don't recall seeing the bird seed before

Birdola has been used on the show off and on for at least a decade.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.